• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    I've no idea if anyone else has encountered this error, but for some reason the Animation Editor doesn't actually save the animations for me, in Windows 7. I've been remaking the same Rock Smash animation for the past 10 minutes.

If anyone has a solution on how I can get the editor to actually SAVE the animations, it's pretty necessary. Else I'll end up switching back to XP.

The only time it save for me is when I make them inside RPG Maker, if that helps.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Thank you! I'll go try that now~~

..and it's still not workin... I think I'm making a stupid mistake. Maybe I should just start over?
    Here's what I came to:
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, I'd just start over if I were you. Something's going weird, and I have no idea what.

Does anyone know how to show the day of the week or month in the game ?
    pbIsWeekday(var) is what you need to get the name of today's day. The "var" is which variable the name of the day is saved in. All you need to do then is use one of the various methods of printing a string to the screen, and print out $game_variables[var].

As for month, I'm not sure if the game does those. Try "monthvar=Time.now.month" to get a number (0=January, 1=February, etc.), and print var to the screen to see if it works. If it does, you can easily do a "monthvar=_INTL("January") if monthvar==0"/etc. thing to print off a month name instead (by printing out monthvar, obviously).

I still haven't got my question answered...maybe you can help Maruno.

OK this isn't a large problem, but I want to make an Item that allows you to warp from one place to a specific place.
    I have this script and everything works fine, but when the script finishes, i get a text box that says, "Can't use that item here." Its just a cosmetic error, but I want to know how to get rid of it. Thx a bunch. I placed this in PokemonItems tab of script.

when PBItems::TRWATCH
    if Kernel.pbConfirmMessage(_INTL("Do you want to warp to the Rocket Headquarters?"))
    Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("\PN warps to Rocket Headquarters."))
    Audio.se_play('Audio/SE/018-Teleport01', 100, 100)
    $game_screen.start_flash(Color.new(255, 255, 255, 160), 5)
    $game_map.setup(34)
    $game_player.moveto(25,21)
    $game_player.straighten
    $game_map.update
    $game_map.autoplay
    $scene = Scene_Map.new
    Graphics.transition(20)
    return 2
    else
    return 2
    end
    Since you asked me specifically, I'm obliged to answer.

My initial answer was going to be "I don't know, which is why I didn't reply earlier". However, I have since looked into it, and think I have a suggestion or two.

My original response was something along the lines of "if I was going to do it, I'd copy the Escape Rope", but then I happened to look up exactly how the Escape Rope worked and eventually figured it out (I only did this because I was obliged to answer, and randomly decided to look things up). Here's my help with your problem:

Copy what the Escape Rope does. Not necessarily the code (you've got your own there) per se, but just the feel of it. The Escape Rope is mentioned twice in the PokemonItems section, the first (under "pbUseItemFromBag") just returns a "2" and the second (under "Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField") describes what the item actually does. The "2" is important because it tells the pause menu (see about line 172 in PokemonMenu, where "item" is that number and the script somewhere in PokemonBag says to jump straight there if it's a "2", which is a field effect... but that's just details) that it should then call up the "Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField" and do what the Escape Rope says.

So, given your code above, I would say that you put a "return 2" under a bit where the first Escape Rope is mentioned (just so it can return that "2"), and then put your code minus the last few lines in the Kernel part (where it says what it actually does). That should be it, given that your code works normally anyway (so you claim).

My advice when it comes to problems is to be as specific as you can. You said you put your code in PokemonItems, but you didn't say exactly where. Line numbers would likely have been inaccurate, so
    say something like "just below the Town Map part of Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField(item)" to be absolutely clear. Sometimes that detail helps a lot in diagnosing and fixing the problem.

Last edited:

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • Okay, so I'm STILL getting this annoying error message, no one ever helped me out.

It's whenever the move FLAMETHROWER is used, which is a custom animation.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

---------------------------
    POKéMON Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Exception: RuntimeError

BitmapCache:365:in `load_bitmap'

BitmapCache:390:in `animation'

PBAnimation:541:in `update'

PBAnimation:490:in `update'

PokeBattle_ActualScene:2425:in `pbAnimationCore'

PokeBattle_ActualScene:2380:in `pbAnimation'

PokeBattle_Battle:2360:in `pbAnimation'

PokeBattle_Move:581:in `pbEffect'

PokeBattle_Battler:1233:in `pbProcessNonMultiHitMove'

PokeBattle_Battler:1472:in `pbUseMove'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

And then the game just goes on... For some reason. Can anyone PLEASE help me with this?

Check out if there is a animation called Move::FLAMETHROWER in your rmxp database, if there is one, it's animation graphic is missing or you set it to none (since the missing graphic name doesnt appear). So just delete that if it exist =p. Thats the only way I can imagine of fixing that...

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    How can I get the happiness of the pokemon in the first spot and set it to a variable?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    How can I get the happiness of the pokemon in the first spot and set it to a variable?
    The first spot of what? The first pokémon in your party?

$game_variables[42]=$Trainer.party[0].happiness

That does exactly what you want, and puts the result in variable 42. It's so simple it's almost as if I read it in the notes. Alter the above at your own convenience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another question:

I have regions in my game, and I want to calculate how many pokémon I've seen/owned in each region. To this end, I've written this:

Code:
    def pokedexRegionSeen(region)
     regionalSpecies=pbAllRegionalSpecies(region)
     ret=0
     for i in 1..regionalSpecies.length
      ret+=1 if @seen[pbGetNationalNumber(region,i)]
     end
     return ret
    end
    The problem with this is that it's very slow. The slowness is due to checking pbGetNationalNumber(region,i), since without it it's fast (and gives the wrong numbers).

Is there any way I can speed this up a bit?

Last edited:

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • Since you asked me specifically, I'm obliged to answer.

My initial answer was going to be "I don't know, which is why I didn't reply earlier". However, I have since looked into it, and think I have a suggestion or two.

My original response was something along the lines of "if I was going to do it, I'd copy the Escape Rope", but then I happened to look up exactly how the Escape Rope worked and eventually figured it out (I only did this because I was obliged to answer, and randomly decided to look things up). Here's my help with your problem:

Copy what the Escape Rope does. Not necessarily the code (you've got your own there) per se, but just the feel of it. The Escape Rope is mentioned twice in the PokemonItems section, the first (under "pbUseItemFromBag") just returns a "2" and the second (under "Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField") describes what the item actually does. The "2" is important because it tells the pause menu (see about line 172 in PokemonMenu, where "item" is that number and the script somewhere in PokemonBag says to jump straight there if it's a "2", which is a field effect... but that's just details) that it should then call up the "Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField" and do what the Escape Rope says.

So, given your code above, I would say that you put a "return 2" under a bit where the first Escape Rope is mentioned (just so it can return that "2"), and then put your code minus the last few lines in the Kernel part (where it says what it actually does). That should be it, given that your code works normally anyway (so you claim).

My advice when it comes to problems is to be as specific as you can. You said you put your code in PokemonItems, but you didn't say exactly where. Line numbers would likely have been inaccurate, so
    say something like "just below the Town Map part of Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField(item)" to be absolutely clear. Sometimes that detail helps a lot in diagnosing and fixing the problem.

Thank you very much Maruno. I will try this out now. Thank you again for your help.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • Don't worry about my type problem, guys, I got it fixed.
    Though I'm not sure if my pics are working with it. I'll check that out. I don't mind sharing the script with anyone for the LIGHT type...

I searched up "type" here and found this..
    I know whats your problem, the editor somehow doesnt read new types. Open your game through the playtest button (so it can update your scripts and pbs stuff) then run the editor. It's just a essentials' bug.

So thanks, JV!
    Thanks for the help everyone! Later.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    The first spot of what? The first pokémon in your party?

$game_variables[42]=$Trainer.party[0].happiness

That does exactly what you want, and puts the result in variable 42. It's so simple it's almost as if I read it in the notes. Alter the above at your own convenience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh shoot it was in the notes, sorry for asking :/

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • Ok, I need your help guys, as usual, my questions are a bit more harder to answer =/.
    I had to change the StillWater "prioritie" number to 10 instead of 6, however the water isn't reflecting anymore, neither in the new "prioritie" thats's called beach. Can someone help me plz =x?

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
  • Ok, I need your help guys, as usual, my questions are a bit more harder to answer =/.
    I had to change the StillWater "prioritie" number to 10 instead of 6, however the water isn't reflecting anymore, neither in the new "prioritie" thats's called beach. Can someone help me plz =x?

The priority only reaches 5, not 6 nor 10. I think you mean the terrain tags...

@World

Sparking Wild Bolt
    Years
  • I was just wondering if there is way to check if a Pokemon is the first in a trainers party.
    I want to make a pokemon follow you script/event that I'd share, but I need to know how to check a first party slot.

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
  • Check out if there is a animation called Move::FLAMETHROWER in your rmxp database, if there is one, it's animation graphic is missing or you set it to none (since the missing graphic name doesnt appear). So just delete that if it exist =p. Thats the only way I can imagine of fixing that...

Thanks. It was called Move:FLAMETHROWER.

I deleted it, and no longer get the error in-game...but my custom animation still isn't there. What might be the problem?

(EDIT: Checked back in the editor.exe's animation editor, and deleting it from the RMXP DB just made it vanish completely. -sigh-)

@World

Sparking Wild Bolt
    Years
  • No the notes say: "checks for a Pokémon in the player's party" for pbHasSpecies?, which checks the ENTIRE party, I need just the first slot.
    I checked the notes but fail :/

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
  • I got the flamethrower working... but it seems that making the animation through the anim editor doesn't work correctly.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • Gah... another problem:

Code:
    Interpreter:279:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:789:in `command_111'
    Interpreter:322:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:190:in `update'
    Interpreter:104:in `loop'
    Interpreter:195:in `update'
    Scene_Map:100:in `update'
    Scene_Map:98:in `loop'
    Scene_Map:111:in `update'
    Scene_Map:67:in `main'
    Section092:14:in `pbLoadTrainer'uninitialized constant PBTrainers::RIVAL
    ***Full script:
    pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::RICHBOY,"Kian",_I("Well, I still did do a great job raising them.. right?"),false,0)
    Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
    PokemonTrainers:7:in `each'
    PokemonTrainers:7:in `pbLoadTrainer'
    PokemonTrainers:387:in `pbTrainerBattle'
    (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:789:in `eval'
    Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:279:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:104:in `loop'
    Interpreter:195:in `update'
    Scene_Map:100:in `update'
    Scene_Map:98:in `loop'
    Scene_Map:111:in `update'
    Scene_Map:67:in `main'

i get it whenever I start a trainer battle... gah!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Off the top of my head, to change the terrain tags for reflections, go to Spriteset_Map and find something that looks a little like this:(terraintag is not the exact variable, I'm just recalling some work I did on PE : O.

Code:
    If terraintag != 5
    bleh
    else
    bleh
    end
    Change the 5 to whatever terrain tag. If you want more than one do :
    Code:
    If terraintag != 6 or 7 or 8

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2016
    I have been creating a game in RPGMXP for a while now, and recently decided to add in DPP moves and abilities. However I keep getting the following error and have no idea what the problem is. Any ideas?

Message: Undefined value PLUCK1 in PBMoves (section 22, key Moves)
    Compiler:1717:in `checkEnumField'
    Compiler:1739:in `csvEnumField!'
    Compiler:2003:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
    Compiler:1982:in `each'
    Compiler:1982:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
    Compiler:1980:in `loop'
    Compiler:2054:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
    Compiler:1969:in `each'
    Compiler:1969:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
    Compiler:1968:in `each'

Status
    Not open for further replies.