• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendaries

Ginzuishou/Heavy-Metal-Lover
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2021
    Can I set in some way that Pokemon given to the player by a NPC will be caught into, for example, Premier Ball?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Can I set in some way that Pokemon given to the player by a NPC will be caught into, for example, Premier Ball?
    Yes. The type of Ball a caught pokémon is in is one of its variables, just like HP and Level are variables for a pokémon. Use a modified version of the "Modifying a Pokémon before adding it" examples to change the "ballused" variable attached to that pokémon. The Ball will be a number (see the list at the top of PokeBattle_Battle, remembering that the list is zero-based), and odds are the list isn't in the same order as they are in the items.txt file (so be careful!).

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2014
    how do i make a trianer notice you i looked in the notes and i don't know how make it walk up to you and battle for X amount of spaces?

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2014
    all right i got it but i get this error
    ---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    Exception: RuntimeError

Exception: NoMethodError

Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'undefined method `Dude_?' for PBTrainers:Class

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::Dude_???,"Dude",_I("A very good battle, indeed."),false,0)

Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:785:in `eval'

Interpreter:785:in `command_111'

Interpreter:318:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:191:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:196:in `update'

Scene_Map:96:in `update'

Scene_Map:94:in `loop'

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'

Scene_Map:107:in `update'

Scene_Map:63:in `main'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    all right i got it but i get this error
    Pokemon Essentials
    Exception: RuntimeError
    Exception: NoMethodError
    Message: (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'undefined method `Dude_?' for PBTrainers:Class

***Full script:
    pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::Dude_???,"Dude",_I("A very good battle, indeed."),false,0)
    Interpreter:785:in `eval'
    Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Scene_Map:107:in `update'
    Scene_Map:63:in `main'
    This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.
    You seem to be using a trainer class internal name of "Dude_???". Take the question marks out, and replace them with something else (if necessary), e.g. "DUDE_QQQ". Remember to change both the event and trainernames.txt and trainers.txt when you do so.

In general, stick with capital letters only (and underscores/lower case letters if you really want them) when writing internal names. Don't use any symbols at all. This minimises errors, and they stand out more in a block of code. The internal name is never shown in the game, so it doesn't matter what it actually looks like (i.e. all caps or otherwise).

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
    Oh well, thx anyway Maruno.

I wish Poccil would fix the Bug Catching contest and the problems with the trainer intro ME overrunning the trainer battle BGM.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2010
    How exactly do you change the default controls? I've tried using the F1 menu to switch the C button to Z, but it doesn't work.

V0RT3X

Scientist at fluid dynamics
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2016
    can someone help me?
    I tried to zoom out the whole thing. I saw poccil inpritted a resizefactor, but if i change the factor to 0.5 instead of 1.0, nothing happens.
    Can someone please tell me how i turn a map with 32x32 tiles into a map with 16x16 tiles ( with the character and movement halved)?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    How exactly do you change the default controls? I've tried using the F1 menu to switch the C button to Z, but it doesn't work.
    Look in PokemonEntry near the top for def self.buttonToKey(button). To change the controls, simply change the "0x50" type codes to what you want. You'll probably want to do some research into which keys do what first, before you start reassigning them.

can someone help me?
    I tried to zoom out the whole thing. I saw poccil inpritted a resizefactor, but if i change the factor to 0.5 instead of 1.0, nothing happens.
    Can someone please tell me how i turn a map with 32x32 tiles into a map with 16x16 tiles ( with the character and movement halved)?
    If I understand you correctly, you want to create a game in which each step the player takes is only half his width (i.e. you need to take two steps in order to reach the same position the official games take you to with just one step).

I would suggest using double sized graphics (NPCs, houses, trees, everything - physically resize all the picture files, and rebuild the tilesets to match), and setting the default resize factor to 0.25 (which shrinks it all again). The reasoning is that the game's default graphics are meant for a resize factor of 0.5, which gives 1 classical step per step. Doubling the graphics sizes and halving the resize factor (to 0.25) keeps the graphics looking the same, but you now get 1 classical step for every 2 steps you take (because you doubled the size of all the graphics, so the player character's graphic covers two tiles across).

Look in SpriteResizer for $ResizeFactor (set this to 0.25 instead of 1.0), and see where things go from there. You may also want to at least change the screen size option in PokemonOptions so that it doesn't affect the resize factor.

This is a complicated feat, mainly due to having to resize all the graphics and make your own tilesets (one grass tile will now cover 4 tiles, so effectively tilesets now only have a width of 4 tiles). Drawing maps will also be more complicated, since each "tile" is actually 4 tiles now. Your maps will also be huge, even if you're only making a small place (luckily RPG Maker XP allows you to zoom out while you draw your maps).

I'm more than willing to bet there's a way to change how large RPG Maker XP thinks a tile is (perhaps involving @tileWidth and @tileHeight in TilemapXP), but that's beyond me (i.e. I don't know whether it would affect mapping or just movement within the game, etc. etc.). What I said would work, even though it creates a major pain during mapping (and eventing, too).

Legendaries

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2021
    I have a problem with Pokemon battle. When it starts and I want to choose "Battle" an error shows:

What's wrong?

V0RT3X

Scientist at fluid dynamics
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2016
    Look in PokemonEntry near the top for def self.buttonToKey(button). To change the controls, simply change the "0x50" type codes to what you want. You'll probably want to do some research into which keys do what first, before you start reassigning them.

If I understand you correctly, you want to create a game in which each step the player takes is only half his width (i.e. you need to take two steps in order to reach the same position the official games take you to with just one step).

I would suggest using double sized graphics (NPCs, houses, trees, everything - physically resize all the picture files, and rebuild the tilesets to match), and setting the default resize factor to 0.25 (which shrinks it all again). The reasoning is that the game's default graphics are meant for a resize factor of 0.5, which gives 1 classical step per step. Doubling the graphics sizes and halving the resize factor (to 0.25) keeps the graphics looking the same, but you now get 1 classical step for every 2 steps you take (because you doubled the size of all the graphics, so the player character's graphic covers two tiles across).

Look in SpriteResizer for $ResizeFactor (set this to 0.25 instead of 1.0), and see where things go from there. You may also want to at least change the screen size option in PokemonOptions so that it doesn't affect the resize factor.

This is a complicated feat, mainly due to having to resize all the graphics and make your own tilesets (one grass tile will now cover 4 tiles, so effectively tilesets now only have a width of 4 tiles). Drawing maps will also be more complicated, since each "tile" is actually 4 tiles now. Your maps will also be huge, even if you're only making a small place (luckily RPG Maker XP allows you to zoom out while you draw your maps).

I'm more than willing to bet there's a way to change how large RPG Maker XP thinks a tile is (perhaps involving @tileWidth and @tileHeight in TilemapXP), but that's beyond me (i.e. I don't know whether it would affect mapping or just movement within the game, etc. etc.). What I said would work, even though it creates a major pain during mapping (and eventing, too).
    thanks maruno, but if it is that much work, i think i'll let it stay at the normal format of 32x32 tiles. Maybe, some time later i will do this, when i got more scripter skills in ruby :D

Legendaries

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2021
    I have a problem with positioning:

In editor I set position of Eevee and then in game Eevee is floating. The same with Starly and every other Pokemon.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I have a problem with positioning:

In editor I set position of Eevee and then in game Eevee is floating. The same with Starly and every other Pokemon.
    The back sprite position is a combination of a default value plus an offset. The default value is in the scripts somewhere, and the offset is in pokemon.txt as "BattlerPlayerY".

The simplest solution is to edit all the back sprite graphics to make them sit on the bottom edge, set all the offsets to zero, and just work with the default value in the scripts. That's what I did.

I also had no idea there was an editor like you've shown. I did my work the hard way. I'll have to look it up, because there's still some positioning I need to do.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    On one of my maps I walf through everything, except if I've set layer 3 parts to not walk through. I created a new map and uploaded a different tile set and this still happens! Help!
    Also, when I start a new game it constantly makes the colliding with object noise during the intro...

Dragma

Trainee
    Years
    Hey everyone!

I apologize if this question was answered earlier in the thread, but I have no time to read nearly 250 pages.

Anyways, here it is:

I'm in the beginning stages of my 1st town. I have two events that are giving me problems. They both work fine, but when I enter a building and then exit, they both start again.

1st event: After the player is transported from a location, the professor approaches the player and talks to him/her. After this he leaves.

2nd Event: I talk to a person standing in front of his house. After he introduces himself, a battle ensues.

1st Event Problem: When I re-enter the map, the professor talks and walks automatically again. How can I fix this?

2nd Event Problem: When I re-enter the map, the text that the person says after the battle continues to appear.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can post pics of the code if needed. Thanks in advance.

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
    Years
    Oh, well that's pretty simple actually. On both events, at the bottom, control your self switches so self switch A is on. Then, create a 2nd event page that's blank for the professor event. On this second page, however, make sure that the condition of self switch A is on. You should see this in the top left hand box beneath the name of the event. You do the same thing for the other event, however, I'm guessing you don't want the trainer to just go and disappear. Use the same graphic(probably) you used on the first page and add what you want him to do, whether it be walk off or talk. If you want him to walk off also, however, you should set his move route on the first event page and do what you did for the professor.

Unless I've misunderstood what you're asking, that should help you. Also, for future reference, if there's something you're unsure about, you can always use the "search this thread" feature for something that may have been already answered.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back