• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

herojelly

PMD Puzzle!
Years
I'm beginning to wonder if you're trying any of this first before asking questions.

The wiki has a page about PBS files. It's called PBS file. Read it. In short, you don't need any of the battle challenge ones or "shadowmoves", and since you've got an old version of Essentials you won't need "types" either. Everything else is required. You can use your own versions if you want, but you may need to tweak them slightly to make them work properly. I don't imagine there's much of that required, though, and the wiki explains things anyway.
OK, thanks for the answer. (:

I'm really sorry that I'm bothering you with questions. I'll try more stuff before asking in the future? D:

archeops14

The First Bird
Years
Hey guys, quick question, once again :(. How do I make it so that the name shows up when you enter another map? I have put a name on the map using Map Properties.

Rai Rai

Master of everything!
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2012
Hey guys, quick question, once again :(. How do I make it so that the name shows up when you enter another map? I have put a name on the map using Map Properties.

Another notes question XD, again this is from memory of using newer versions, you should be able to set a tag to true on outside of the map properties in the essentials editor.

archeops14

The First Bird
Years
I just can't seem to find it in the notes. I'm pretty sure this one isn't there, how do I make it so that the Professor gives you multiple items? Like he/she gives you five Pokeballs.

EDIT: I just encountered this problem. While going through the Editor I noticed that the metadata is all mixed up, so I tried to fix it, changing Player A, Player B and so on. Once I saved it, I went to test the game. But every time I played it, there's always an error with the metadata. Help?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I just can't seem to find it in the notes. I'm pretty sure this one isn't there, how do I make it so that the Professor gives you multiple items? Like he/she gives you five Pokeballs.

That can be found on the wiki
http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Manipulating_items

Anyway, you'd do

$PokemonBag.pbStoreItem(PBItems::ITEM,quantity)
Where ITEM is the item, in your case POKeBALL, and quantity is the amount you want, 5 in your case, so
$PokemonBag.pbStoreItem(PBItems:POKeBALL,5)

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
That can be found on the wiki
http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Manipulating_items

Anyway, you'd do

$PokemonBag.pbStoreItem(PBItems::ITEM,quantity)
Where ITEM is the item, in your case POKeBALL, and quantity is the amount you want, 5 in your case, so
$PokemonBag.pbStoreItem(PBItems:POKeBALL,5)
Not any more! In the latest release, the first two scripts in that table on the wiki can be used for multiple items too, and it's preferable that you use those over pbStoreItem. Why? Because pbStoreItem doesn't say what you've been given, and the other two do (and they've even been tweaked to allow good grammar!). The wiki page goes into more detail on this.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
I don't remember if I asked before, but I'm going to be asking again just incase, with pictures now as well!

The Editor.exe is a bit screwed up. I try looking at Global Metadata, and everything is all messed up (Picture below this explaining how screwed up it is). I am not sure how to fix this or if I did something wrong. Anybody know what I should do? (This is on the new version)

globalmetadatapage.png

COMBOY

Pokémon Crimson & Navy
Years
After you've used the scripts to put the happiness number in a Global Variable, do some comparisons. If that number is between 0 and 50, it hates you. if it's between 220 and 255, it loves you. Show different messages depending on what you have. It's not difficult.

Thanks for the advise, it worked perfectly. I made a screenshot of my happiness rater event:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
As well as my last question i've got another.

I've been trying to get pokerus implemented properly and have run into the problem with the ev gains and exp

I have modified a part of the code so that its like
Code:
if isConst?(thispoke.item,PBItems,:MACHOBRACE) || thispoke.pokerus>0
         evgain*=2
        end
which is fine for pokemon that have pokerus, but for some reason pokemon that don't don't gain exp. i get the usual "x has gained y exp" message but no exp is actually added

As well as this, does anyone know how to remove the sprite from one page of the summary screen? i know how to remove them all, but not just one page.

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2011
Confused...

I am new to all of this stuff, I have been working on my game for about a week, maybe less, and I am having troubles with the trainers...

My game doesn't acknowledge anything that I write into the trainers text file or trainertypes text file. I have no idea why, it notices when I change any of the text files, but for some reason I can't edit the trainers unless I go into the editor and make one. I can easily do this but it drives me INSANE because I keep wanting trainers to have zigzagoon and wurmple and the editor puts the pokemon in alphabetical order...

Can someone please help me with this? For some reason I can't find anyone else online who has had this problem, and none of my friends know any of this or are even interested in it, so I can't ask them.

Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2023
I am new to all of this stuff, I have been working on my game for about a week, maybe less, and I am having troubles with the trainers...

My game doesn't acknowledge anything that I write into the trainers text file or trainertypes text file. I have no idea why, it notices when I change any of the text files, but for some reason I can't edit the trainers unless I go into the editor and make one. I can easily do this but it drives me INSANE because I keep wanting trainers to have zigzagoon and wurmple and the editor puts the pokemon in alphabetical order...

Can someone please help me with this? For some reason I can't find anyone else online who has had this problem, and none of my friends know any of this or are even interested in it, so I can't ask them.
You do have RMXP right? if you do go in and play test the game after changing a text file.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 9, 2013
Hi everyone.. I need a little help.
I'm trying to make the guy who doesn't let you out of town until you have a Pokemon. I've already gotten him to walk up to me and tell me not to leave, but I've looked around the wiki and the notes page, and I can't find anything about checking for Pokemon first. Does anybody know how to do this, or a certain web page I can look on for help?
Sorry, I'm new at this! Thanks for the help.

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Hi everyone.. I need a little help.
I'm trying to make the guy who doesn't let you out of town until you have a Pokemon. I've already gotten him to walk up to me and tell me not to leave, but I've looked around the wiki and the notes page, and I can't find anything about checking for Pokemon first. Does anybody know how to do this, or a certain web page I can look on for help?
Sorry, I'm new at this! Thanks for the help.

You can achieve this with switches. Turn a switch on when the player receives a Pokémon, and let the guy who doesn't let you leave the town allow the player to pass when that certain switch is on. I hope I helped C:

majorgames

When working on my game, I noticed a problem I really don't know how to fix...the problem was there when I downloaded it but every time I go into a map marked outside I get an error very much similar to this (or the same exact one)

Code:
Exception: NoMethodError
PokemonUtilities:289:in `getRoughLatLon'
PokemonUtilities:386:in `getLatLong'
PokemonUtilities:586:in `getToneInternal'
PokemonUtilities:584:in `each'
PokemonUtilities:584:in `getToneInternal'
PokemonUtilities:353:in `getTone'
PokemonUtilities:2095:in `pbDayNightTint'
Sprite_Character:124:in `update_or'
PerspectiveTilemap:408:in `shadow_update'
Shadow:179:in `update'

I know this is relating to the shadow and day and night tints...but I am unsure how to fix this problem

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2012
Hiya everybody. I've been using the essentials kit for a while now, and I'm trying to make it pretty much as close to perfect as possible. To do that, I need better support for alternate forms.

I've already downloaded the most recent version, which includes PokemonMultipleForms in the scripts. Unfortunately, it doesn't support alternate forms having different sprites, so I'm going to need some help there. Does anyone know how to make it so that when a pokemon changes forms, its sprite changes too? I've found some methods, but they were to complicated and not explanatory enough to help. Thanks in advance.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 9, 2013
You can achieve this with switches. Turn a switch on when the player receives a Pokémon, and let the guy who doesn't let you leave the town allow the player to pass when that certain switch is on. I hope I helped C:

Wow thanks!! I'll try that. Pokemon Essentials is very useful.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
When working on my game, I noticed a problem I really don't know how to fix...the problem was there when I downloaded it but every time I go into a map marked outside I get an error very much similar to this (or the same exact one)

Code:
Exception: NoMethodError
PokemonUtilities:289:in `getRoughLatLon'
PokemonUtilities:386:in `getLatLong'
PokemonUtilities:586:in `getToneInternal'
PokemonUtilities:584:in `each'
PokemonUtilities:584:in `getToneInternal'
PokemonUtilities:353:in `getTone'
PokemonUtilities:2095:in `pbDayNightTint'
Sprite_Character:124:in `update_or'
PerspectiveTilemap:408:in `shadow_update'
Shadow:179:in `update'
I know this is relating to the shadow and day and night tints...but I am unsure how to fix this problem
Get the newest version of Essentials. The day/night system simply doesn't work in the version you have.

Hiya everybody. I've been using the essentials kit for a while now, and I'm trying to make it pretty much as close to perfect as possible. To do that, I need better support for alternate forms.

I've already downloaded the most recent version, which includes PokemonMultipleForms in the scripts. Unfortunately, it doesn't support alternate forms having different sprites, so I'm going to need some help there. Does anyone know how to make it so that when a pokemon changes forms, its sprite changes too? I've found some methods, but they were to complicated and not explanatory enough to help. Thanks in advance.
It does support different sprites for different forms, and there are plenty of examples already set up (Deoxys, Arceus, Giratina, Unown, Womadam, Rotom, etc.).

What you probably mean is them changing in battle (or not, as the case may be). I haven't looked at that yet, and I would appreciate any insights. squidgy, can you let me know where you found these methods you speak of?

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2012
Yes, I am looking to make the sprites change in battle.
I can't post links yet, so I'll tell you that its on the Pokemon Essentials Wiki. The page is called "Alternate Forms". Unfortunately, the information is for a previous version of the kit, and it is very vague on exactly where to put the scripts.

Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2023
Yes, I am looking to make the sprites change in battle.
I can't post links yet, so I'll tell you that its on the Pokemon Essentials Wiki. The page is called "Alternate Forms". Unfortunately, the information is for a previous version of the kit, and it is very vague on exactly where to put the scripts.
Have you looked at this:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=251389
I made it for an earlier version of essentials, but it should still work. Hopefully, it's clear enough if not pm me.

majorgames

Get the newest version of Essentials. The day/night system simply doesn't work in the version you have.

ok I'll look into it the problem is I think it was the newest version I downloaded...but I'll look again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back