• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    I think it's a mistake in the code. I guess it should say this:
    Code:
     if opponent.damagestate.critical
      atkstage=6 if atkstage<6
      spatkstage=6 if spatkstage<6
      defstage=6 if defstage>6
      spdefstage=6 if spdefstage>6
     end

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • Just thought I might add one thing to the max level editing discussion. Even if you change the maximum level to be above 100 you will be able to get wild pokemon and your own pokemon to a level above 100, but the starter kit blocks you from entering trainers with a level higher than 100. I've tried this myself and the editor gives me the message that the value for trainer pokemon cannot be above 100. If you try to do this by hand and manually define the trainers in \PBS\trainers.txt the game crashes.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • I have a couple questions.

1. I have a sign tile, which is marked 'X' in the passage part of the database. I placed an invisible event over it, to trigger a message when the player uses the action key on it. My problem is, that the player can walk right over the sign still. This happens with other tiles as well, such as trees, rocks, and even houses... yet all of the passage settings are telling me it should not be happening. Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it?

2. How exactly do I get the animation title screen to work? It won't load a .GIF extension... and from what I understand .MNG is not supported.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Just thought I might add one thing to the max level editing discussion. Even if you change the maximum level to be above 100 you will be able to get wild pokemon and your own pokemon to a level above 100, but the starter kit blocks you from entering trainers with a level higher than 100. I've tried this myself and the editor gives me the message that the value for trainer pokemon cannot be above 100. If you try to do this by hand and manually define the trainers in \PBS\trainers.txt the game crashes.
    I don't think that should be the case. A quick look in Compiler yields lines 1306/1307:

Code:
    raise _INTL("Bad level: {1} (must be from 1-{2})\r\n{3}",poke[1],
        PBExperience::MAXLEVEL,FileLineData.linereport) if poke[1]<=0 || poke[1]>PBExperience::MAXLEVEL
    That's the error message for if you've got a trainer's pokémon with a weird level, and it includes MAXLEVEL as mentioned earlier, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Did you change the MAXLEVEL and then immediately jump into editing the trainers? If so, try do one thing at a time. Change just the MAXLEVEL and see if things still work. If they do (they should) then give one trainer one pokémon with level 100, then 101, then expand on it. You may also need to compile the game a few times over to make sure all the new changes are in place.

I have a couple questions.

1. I have a sign tile, which is marked 'X' in the passage part of the database. I placed an invisible event over it, to trigger a message when the player uses the action key on it. My problem is, that the player can walk right over the sign still. This happens with other tiles as well, such as trees, rocks, and even houses... yet all of the passage settings are telling me it should not be happening. Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it?

2. How exactly do I get the animation title screen to work? It won't load a .GIF extension... and from what I understand .MNG is not supported.

1 - Is the event itself non-passable (i.e. the "Passable" checkbox in the event needs to be unticked)? Apart from that, I can't offer any advice other than to make it again. My events work just fine, in exactly the same situation as yours. If the tile has an X on it in "Tilesets" in F9, then you shouldn't be able to walk through it.

Although I seem to recall a problem like this earlier in this thread. As I recall, the trick was to paint over the sign in any layers above it with the blank tile (top left in the tileset). It's something to do with terrain tags - you need anything above your sign to be terrain tag 0, I think.

2 - Sorry, I know nothing about this. Wouldn't mind knowing about it myself, eventually.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • 1 - Is the event itself non-passable (i.e. the "Passable" checkbox in the event needs to be unticked)? Apart from that, I can't offer any advice other than to make it again. My events work just fine, in exactly the same situation as yours. If the tile has an X on it in "Tilesets" in F9, then you shouldn't be able to walk through it.

Although I seem to recall a problem like this earlier in this thread. As I recall, the trick was to paint over the sign in any layers above it with the blank tile (top left in the tileset). It's something to do with terrain tags - you need anything above your sign to be terrain tag 0, I think.

2 - Sorry, I know nothing about this. Wouldn't mind knowing about it myself, eventually.

Yes the event is non passable. The tile is marked with an 'X' in F9, and it is the top layer o.O. I suppose I could just make it a new event and add the image, I just wanted to refrain from doing that if it was possible. Funny thing is, is that it worked fine till I loaded it today...

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    I have a couple questions.

I think this sometimes happens when you add a new tileset or extend an existing one. I'm not 100% sure on this, but try recompiling the data (hold Ctrl while starting up the game).
    It could also be because you're not deleting using the right tile. You have to use the very top-left tile to delete, since that tile has no passability. Using another blank tile to delete would mean that the passability would become that of the tile (not what you want).

You'll need to write a script to display each frame in order. I think there is actually a way to use GIFs (there's a GifSprite class defined in the scripts), but I'd go with a custom script.

Darkgoalie

Psychic Professor
    Years
  • I need help badly

I can't get past the start of the game it keeps coming up with this:

[---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    ---------------------------
    Exception: TypeError

BitmapCache:171:in `+'

BitmapCache:171:in `load_bitmap'

BitmapCache:235:in `character'

Sprite_Character:62:in `update_or'

PerspectiveTilemap:408:in `shadow_update'

Shadow:169:in `update'

PerspectiveTilemap:404:in `shadow_initialize'

Shadow:145:in `initialize'

Spriteset_Map:31:in `new'

Spriteset_Map:31:in `_animationSprite_initialize'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.

Please Please Please help so i can get on with the game creation

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • I think this sometimes happens when you add a new tileset or extend an existing one. I'm not 100% sure on this, but try recompiling the data (hold Ctrl while starting up the game).
    It could also be because you're not deleting using the right tile. You have to use the very top-left tile to delete, since that tile has no passability. Using another blank tile to delete would mean that the passability would become that of the tile (not what you want).

You'll need to write a script to display each frame in order. I think there is actually a way to use GIFs (there's a GifSprite class defined in the scripts), but I'd go with a custom script.

Recompiling did not have any effect :(. I have been using the top left to delete as well.

I just made a new tileset using the exact same tileset image, and reset the passability and it is working, beats redoing the whole map :S. But comparing them side by side, all the settings are the same for both tilesets o.O. Oh well it is fixed now, thanks for the help.

EDIT: Though it fixed the sign, there are still areas that have the same issue. I have part of a tree overlapping a rock, the tile that has the part of the tree is passable with a priority so the player can walk under it. When the rock is in layer 2 and the part of the tree in layer 3, I can walk over the rock still... as if the rock was not there.

Yeah I know you can use .gifs but in the notes for PE it says it needs to be an animated .gif in .png format... well superping is the only .png format that can support animation, and it has the .mng extension... perhaps I am misinformed though :S.

I was just hoping to avoid scripting it to use frames if possible, but I guess that is what I will do :P

Last edited:

|Maximus|

I'm back~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010
    I have a problem, I keep getting a black background. I tried to use a script to make the battle background, a grassy look to it, like on Test Map 1. It didn't seem to work, and all of my battles have a black background. Like this:
    PLEASE help. This is ruining my project. And if I could get help, then can somebody tell me how to change the background like a DP battle background, and not a R/S/E Battle background?

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2015
    Hi, Im not really that good at programming in ruby but I was wondering if it was possible to make it so that I can chage the main characters appearance, like change the sprite and player graphic. Im trying to create a clothing system in my game where you can talk to people and change your appearance.
    I know that at the intro it sets up a player type but I just want to change the sprite and player graphic not create a whole new player type.
    (something like a pbSetPlayerGraphic function)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    EDIT: Though it fixed the sign, there are still areas that have the same issue. I have part of a tree overlapping a rock, the tile that has the part of the tree is passable with a priority so the player can walk under it. When the rock is in layer 2 and the part of the tree in layer 3, I can walk over the rock still... as if the rock was not there.
    The passability is automatically set to the passability of the tile on the uppermost layer. If your rock tile has a lower priority than your tree tile, you can simply put the rock on layer 3 and the tree tile on layer 2; although it will look weird in the editor, it will work in-game.

Hi, Im not really that good at programming in ruby but I was wondering if it was possible to make it so that I can chage the main characters appearance, like change the sprite and player graphic. Im trying to create a clothing system in my game where you can talk to people and change your appearance.
    I know that at the intro it sets up a player type but I just want to change the sprite and player graphic not create a whole new player type.
    (something like a pbSetPlayerGraphic function)
    I think this function is what you are looking for (replacing chname with the name of the character):
    Code:
    $game_player.setDefaultCharName(chname,0)
    I have a problem, I keep getting a black background. I tried to use a script to make the battle background, a grassy look to it, like on Test Map 1. It didn't seem to work, and all of my battles have a black background. Like this:
    PLEASE help. This is ruining my project. And if I could get help, then can somebody tell me how to change the background like a DP battle background, and not a R/S/E Battle background?
    There's no need to change the scripts; all you need to do is to change the graphics in the Graphics/Pictures folder. If you want help with the script anyway, it would be more useful if you actually posted your changes...

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2012
    I have a problem, all blocks are passable, and I already set the passable and not passable​

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • The passability is automatically set to the passability of the tile on the uppermost layer. If your rock tile has a lower priority than your tree tile, you can simply put the rock on layer 3 and the tree tile on layer 2; although it will look weird in the editor, it will work in-game.

I actually jumped all the priorities up 1, from what they normally were, saved the project, then dropped them back down and everything is fine now. Strange...

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2015
    Nevermind, I sorta figured out how to do it.
    Heres how incase anyone was wondering:

$Trainer.trainertype = 83 #changes your characters graphic

But Im still not sure how to change your sprite.
    I try this:
    $game_player.setDefaultCharName(chname,0)
    But it just gives errors. Maybe Im not sure what the chname is supposed to be.
    Atleast I have it half working now.

Last edited:

<~F.M.P~>

I got you whistling Blue Box!
    Years
  • I have a problem, all blocks are passable, and I already set the passable and not passable​

I've had this problem as well...I just copied my whole Tileset and pasted it into a new image (same size) and saved it under a new name...then set it up in the database...Try that I hope it works for you.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • I've had this problem as well...I just copied my whole Tileset and pasted it into a new image (same size) and saved it under a new name...then set it up in the database...Try that I hope it works for you.

Check your priority settings for each block. The higher number will naturally take priority when the tile determines what block's pass ability setting will be used. Only one pass ability setting is used per tile, despite there being 3 layers.

If your pass ability settings are correct and your priorities are set as they should be, then you are having the issue I had, simply reset all your priorities, save, then set them again and if should fix everything.

Or you could make a new tileset and start from scratch within the database

<~F.M.P~>

I got you whistling Blue Box!
    Years
  • Check your priority settings for each block. The higher number will naturally take priority when the tile determines what block's pass ability setting will be used. Only one pass ability setting is used per tile, despite there being 3 layers.

If your pass ability settings are correct and your priorities are set as they should be, then you are having the issue I had, simply reset all your priorities, save, then set them again and if should fix everything.

Or you could make a new tileset and start from scratch within the database

lol Mine is fine, I fixed it a while back. Thank you that though ;)

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2012
    How do you change the character in the middle of the game, for example initialize Player C in the middle of the game

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back