• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitaelitmaster

The Master Of Puppets
Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    https://img188.imageshack.us/img188/4366/ruletheworldfail1x.png
    Also, make the rival event separate from the Player Touch ones, which should be invisible. Use a Move Route command to move the rival event towards you.

Finally, after the trainer battle, deactivate the Player Touch events with a switch (turn a switch on, then make a new, blank page in the events and set its condition to that switch).

Thanks again! I tried it and it worked.

Now i have another problem , im trying to make so that the player cant get out of the city without a pokemon but either the player cant go through even do he has a pokemon , or he can go through without one.

Here is some screenshots of the events i have:
    https://img215.imageshack.us/img215/43/ruletheworldfail2w.png

Sion

Somber Soul
    Years
  • Hey guys. I'm pretty sure the answer is simplistic. But I've been ripping my hair out all day trying to find the answer on my own.
    How do you display the name of the map on screen?

~Sion

BlazingLink

Sergeant Serious
    Years
  • Hey guys. I'm pretty sure the answer is simplistic. But I've been ripping my hair out all day trying to find the answer on my own.
    How do you display the name of the map on screen?

~Sion

Go into the editor.exe, and metadata, select the map you want, and click Show Area Name.

Hope that'll help.

Paradox101

Neither here nor there
    Years
  • Greetings.
    I have two questions about the pokemon essentials kit. I'm doing a small project... just something to get some experience on, before perhaps applying myself to one of the budding projects around here and using said project as proof of experience. However.. I've run into a rut. In fact, two ruts. Minor ones though, I hope.

My first question is- how does one customise the BGM for a wild pokémon battle? I've got the default music changed, but I'd like the special music to play for specific battles. Legendary Pokémon battles, for example. I know how to activate them and such, I just don't know how to implement to the music.

My second question is another battle mechanic, that unfortunately spreads across the board. Battlebacks. I read up on the notes and such- as you should, but the script for me at least was working; yet not. You see, the code didn't make things permanent- sure, the next battle would have the said backing, but after that it would revert straight back to the boring old default. And when I set the script up as an invisible auto-running event, when it entered another area with a different battleback script event through a door, the game would freeze up and cease to play. Naturally, this wasn't what I was going for.

Any help would be much appreciated, as this really is irking me a bit.

Years
  • *sigh* this thread is annoying when asking a question and it doesn't get answered right away. Anyway, still need help with my whirlpool script (edit of PokemonField)
    HTML:
    def Kernel.pbWhirlpool
     if $DEBUG || $Trainer.badges[BADGEFORWHIRLPOOL]
       movefinder=Kernel.pbCheckMove(PBMoves::WHIRLPOOL)
       if $DEBUG || movefinder
        if Kernel.pbConfirmMessage(_INTL("Would you like to use Whirlpool?"))
          speciesname=!movefinder ? PBSpecies.getName(0) : movefinder.name
          Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1} used Whirlpool!",speciesname))
          pbHiddenMoveAnimation(movefinder)
          return true
        end
       else
        Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("It's a powerful whirlpool. A Pokémon may be able to get past it."))
       end
     else
      Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("It's a powerful whirlpool. A Pokémon may be able to get past it."))
     end
     return false
    end
    I assume you mean "return true"? I'm not much of a scripter, so...all I could do was look at what was done with Rocksmash (excluding the Random Encounter) and replaced Dive.
    This was in reply to Wichu btw

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • It would be great to get help with this one. I want to make that shiny pokémon have a different second type from their normal one, let's say I want it to be fire. A Shiny Gyarados instead of being Water/Flying, it would be Water/Fire you see... I tried a few times but had no success, so I hope you help me out xD.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
  • It would be great to get help with this one. I want to make that shiny pokémon have a different second type from their normal one, let's say I want it to be fire. A Shiny Gyarados instead of being Water/Flying, it would be Water/Fire you see... I tried a few times but had no success, so I hope you help me out xD.

Wow, the first time i read about this... I think you should make another pokémon. A Water/Fire Gyarados. Or... basing a little bit on mad.array's feature like the Multitype ability.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • Wow, the first time i read about this... I think you should make another pokémon. A Water/Fire Gyarados. Or... basing a little bit on mad.array's feature like the Multitype ability.

Yes, I thought about that, but I don't want it to show up on the pokedex you know =x. (btw, the gyarados thing is just an example)

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2014
    Hi Guys,

maybe someone of you can help me Q_Q
    Everytime Im trying to change the pbs/pokemon.txt (Even if i only change the basic HP-rate of the first pokemon Bulbasaur (for example 48 instead of 49)) i get this error:

---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    Exception: RuntimeError

File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 39, key WildItemRare

Compiler:2042:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:2025:in `each_line'

Compiler:2025:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:2063:in `pbEachFileSection'

Compiler:2264:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2262:in `open'

Compiler:2262:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:3519:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:3636

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK

Even if i change it back to the original pokemon.txt version, the error is still there q.q
    I have to extract the pokemon.txt again from the rar file to make the game playable.
    Why can't i change the pokemon.txt? Q_Q

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    fff got logged out before I could post this and now I need to start over D:

Hello. I'm new to RGSS scripting and working with Essentials and I have two questions for you all.

First of all, as part of my efforts to teach myself RGSS and Essentials and all that (that and it's an excuse to mess around with my fakemon without having to slog through making an entire game), I'd like to make a small game that only includes a Battle Factory, like the ones in Emerald and Platinum. How difficult would it be to implement something like that? I'd imagine that several scripts, as well as btpokemon.txt and bttrainers.txt, could be borrowed from the Battle Tower and Battle Palace that are already included in Essentials, but then I'd need to figure out how to give the player a choice of three out of six of the btpokemon.txt Pokémon, how to implement the swapping system, etc.. I'm not concerned with the really advanced stuff like the IVs increasing when the player has more consecutive wins (unless the Tower and Palace scripts can already handle that...?); I can work that out later, if I bother with it at all. But as far as the swapping, the randomization and all of that... how far is that from the current capabilities of Essentials, and how difficult do you think it would be to implement such a system?

Someone else asked a similar question maybe 50 pages back but was never answered; he hasn't asked again recently, though. If you've stopped asking because you figured out how to do it yourself, would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

Second, how does one go about editing or adding abilities? I know that it's not as straightforward as adding/editing moves or Pokémon and that it involves working with the battle scripts, among other things, but I've done some searching and so far I haven't been able to find anything that looks relevant. :( This one's not as terribly important because I don't need it anytime soon and the mini-project can get along fine without edited abilities, but this has been bothering me for a while and I'd really like to know what to do to start figuring it out.

Please note that I'm not asking for any free script handouts or for anyone to teach me how to do this; I fully intend to teach myself how to script and will implement all of this myself. I'd just like to know where to look to start modifying these sorts of things and approximately how difficult it would be to do them: are they things that could be handled by a relative novice or would they require incredibly complex scripts and weeks, months or more of practice? As soon as I know all that I'll get to work on learning the basics, and then whenever I'm good enough I'll try adding these on my own. :)

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide, and thanks to poccil for providing such an excellent starter kit.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023

Thanks again! I tried it and it worked.

Now i have another problem , im trying to make so that the player cant get out of the city without a pokemon but either the player cant go through even do he has a pokemon , or he can go through without one.

Here is some screenshots of the events i have:
    https://img215.imageshack.us/img215/43/ruletheworldfail2w.png
    You can use a script-based switch. If you name a switch 's:$Trainer.party.size>0', then the switch will automatically turn on when you have a Pokémon in your party, and off if you don't.
    Greetings.
    I have two questions about the pokemon essentials kit. I'm doing a small project... just something to get some experience on, before perhaps applying myself to one of the budding projects around here and using said project as proof of experience. However.. I've run into a rut. In fact, two ruts. Minor ones though, I hope.

My first question is- how does one customise the BGM for a wild pokémon battle? I've got the default music changed, but I'd like the special music to play for specific battles. Legendary Pokémon battles, for example. I know how to activate them and such, I just don't know how to implement to the music.

My second question is another battle mechanic, that unfortunately spreads across the board. Battlebacks. I read up on the notes and such- as you should, but the script for me at least was working; yet not. You see, the code didn't make things permanent- sure, the next battle would have the said backing, but after that it would revert straight back to the boring old default. And when I set the script up as an invisible auto-running event, when it entered another area with a different battleback script event through a door, the game would freeze up and cease to play. Naturally, this wasn't what I was going for.

Any help would be much appreciated, as this really is irking me a bit.
    1. Edit the pbGetWildBattleBGM method in PokemonUtilities. For example:
    Code:
    def pbGetWildBattleBGM(species)
        if $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBGM
           return $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBGM.clone
        end
        wildbgm=pbGetMetadata(0,MetadataWildBattleBGM)
        if wildbgm
         wildbgm="#{wildbgm}"
        else
         wildbgm="002-Battle02.mid"
        end[B]
        case species
        when PBSpecies::REGICE, PBSpecies::REGIROCK, PBSpecies::REGISTEEL
         wildbgm="RegiBattle.mid"
        when PBSpecies::GROUDON, PBSpecies::KYOGRE, PBSpecies::RAYQUAZA
         wildbgm="TrioBattle.mid"
        when PBSpecies::DEOXYS
         wildbgm="DeoxysBattle.mid"
        end[/B]
        return pbStringToAudioFile(wildbgm)
    end
    2. You can edit the pbBackdrop method in PokeBattle_ActualScene to use a different background depending on a variable. For example:
    Code:
    def pbBackdrop
     outdoor=false
     if $game_map && pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataOutdoor)
      outdoor=true
     end
     case @battle.environment
      when PBEnvironment::Grass
       id=1
      when PBEnvironment::TallGrass
       id=2
      when PBEnvironment::MovingWater
       id=3
      when PBEnvironment::StillWater
       id=4
      when PBEnvironment::Underwater
       id=5
      when PBEnvironment::Rock
       id=7
      when PBEnvironment::Cave
       id=8
      when PBEnvironment::Sand
       id=9
      else
       id=(outdoor) ? 0 : 6
     end[B]
     if $game_variables[26]>0
      id=$game_variables[26]
     end[/B]
     if $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack
      id=$PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack
     end
     battlebg="Graphics/Pictures/battlebg#{id}.png"
     enemybase="Graphics/Pictures/enemybase#{id}.png"
     playerbase="Graphics/Pictures/playerbase#{id}.png"
    if true # !$game_temp.background_bitmap.respond_to?("radial_blur")
     pbAddPlane("battlebg",battlebg,@viewport)
    else
     source = $game_temp.background_bitmap
     bitmap = Bitmap.new(Graphics.width+32,Graphics.height)
     bitmap.stretch_blt(bitmap.rect, source, source.rect)
     bitmap.radial_blur(90, 12)
     @sprites["battlebg"] = Sprite.new(@viewport)
     @sprites["battlebg"].bitmap = bitmap
     @sprites["battlebg"].x = -16
     @sprites["battlebg"].y = 0
     @sprites["battlebg"].wave_amp = 8
     @sprites["battlebg"].wave_length = 240
     @sprites["battlebg"].wave_speed = 120
    end
     pbAddSprite("enemybase",-256,96+@yoffset,enemybase,@viewport) # ends at (224,96)
     pbAddSprite("playerbase",Graphics.width,192+@yoffset,playerbase,@viewport) # ends at (0,192)
     @sprites["enemybase"].z=-1 # For compatibility with RGSS2
     @sprites["playerbase"].z=-1 # For compatibility with RGSS2
     @sprites["battlebg"].z=-1 # For compatibility with RGSS2
    =begin
     if outdoor
      tone = $HourlyTones[Time.now.hour]
      @sprites["battlebg"].tone=tone
      @sprites["enemybase"].tone=tone
      @sprites["playerbase"].tone=tone
     end
    =end
    end
    That change will make the background ID equal to that of variable 26 if it is greater than 0. So if you named an image "battlebg10.png", you'd use it by changing variable 26 to 10. To go back to normal, change it to 0.
    *sigh* this thread is annoying when asking a question and it doesn't get answered right away. Anyway, still need help with my whirlpool script (edit of PokemonField)
    This was in reply to Wichu btw
    I can't really see any problems with that... Could I see the event as well?
    It would be great to get help with this one. I want to make that shiny pokémon have a different second type from their normal one, let's say I want it to be fire. A Shiny Gyarados instead of being Water/Flying, it would be Water/Fire you see... I tried a few times but had no success, so I hope you help me out xD.
    The simplest way would be to assign an array of all the new types to a constant. For example, you could add this to a new script section:
    Code:
    SHINYTYPES=[]
    SHINYTYPES[PBSpecies::GYARADOS]=[PBTypes::WATER,PBTypes::FIRE]
    If you're going to change every Pokémon's type, it might be easier to do this instead:
    Code:
    SHINYTYPES=[
    [PBTypes::GRASS],
    [PBTypes::FIRE,PBTypes::ELECTRIC],
    ... # insert nearly 500 lines here
    [PBTypes::PSYCHIC]
    ]
    Then, edit the type1 and type2 methods in PokeBattle_Pokemon to this:
    Code:
    def type1
     if isShiny?
      if SHINYTYPES[@species]
       return SHINYTYPES[@species][0]
      end
     end
     dexdata=pbOpenDexData
     pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,@species,8)
     ret=dexdata.fgetb
     dexdata.close
     return ret
    end

def type2
     if isShiny?
      if SHINYTYPES[@species]
       if SHINYTYPES[@species][1]
        return SHINYTYPES[@species][1]
       else
        return SHINYTYPES[@species][0]
       end
      end
     end
     dexdata=pbOpenDexData
     pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,@species,9)
     ret=dexdata.fgetb
     dexdata.close
     return ret
    end
    A bit complicated, but it should do the trick.
    fff got logged out before I could post this and now I need to start over D:

Hello. I'm new to RGSS scripting and working with Essentials and I have two questions for you all.

First of all, as part of my efforts to teach myself RGSS and Essentials and all that (that and it's an excuse to mess around with my fakemon without having to slog through making an entire game), I'd like to make a small game that only includes a Battle Factory, like the ones in Emerald and Platinum. How difficult would it be to implement something like that? I'd imagine that several scripts, as well as btpokemon.txt and bttrainers.txt, could be borrowed from the Battle Tower and Battle Palace that are already included in Essentials, but then I'd need to figure out how to give the player a choice of three out of six of the btpokemon.txt Pokémon, how to implement the swapping system, etc.. I'm not concerned with the really advanced stuff like the IVs increasing when the player has more consecutive wins (unless the Tower and Palace scripts can already handle that...?); I can work that out later, if I bother with it at all. But as far as the swapping, the randomization and all of that... how far is that from the current capabilities of Essentials, and how difficult do you think it would be to implement such a system?

Someone else asked a similar question maybe 50 pages back but was never answered; he hasn't asked again recently, though. If you've stopped asking because you figured out how to do it yourself, would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

Second, how does one go about editing or adding abilities? I know that it's not as straightforward as adding/editing moves or Pokémon and that it involves working with the battle scripts, among other things, but I've done some searching and so far I haven't been able to find anything that looks relevant. :( This one's not as terribly important because I don't need it anytime soon and the mini-project can get along fine without edited abilities, but this has been bothering me for a while and I'd really like to know what to do to start figuring it out.

Please note that I'm not asking for any free script handouts or for anyone to teach me how to do this; I fully intend to teach myself how to script and will implement all of this myself. I'd just like to know where to look to start modifying these sorts of things and approximately how difficult it would be to do them: are they things that could be handled by a relative novice or would they require incredibly complex scripts and weeks, months or more of practice? As soon as I know all that I'll get to work on learning the basics, and then whenever I'm good enough I'll try adding these on my own. :)

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide, and thanks to poccil for providing such an excellent starter kit.
    A Battle Factory would be pretty hard to make. I can give you some information on how the Pokémon and trainer data is stored, though.
    The Pokémon data is stored in btpokemon.dat, and the trainer data in bttrainers.dat. In a script, you'd extract the data like this:
    Code:
    bttrainers=load_data("Data/bttrainers.dat") #loads trainer data
    trainerdata=bttrainers[trainerid] #trainers are stored in an array
    trainer=PokeBattle_Trainer.new(trainerdata[1],trainerdata[0]) #each trainer is an array too; you have to create a PokeBattle_Trainer object using the data in the array

btpokemon=load_data("Data/btpokemon.dat") #loads Pokémon data
    pokemon=btpokemon[pokemonid].createPokemon(level,iv,trainer) #each Pokémon is stored as a PBPokemon object. The createPokemon method converts it to a PokeBattle_Pokemon
    To select six random Pokémon, you could do something like this:
    Code:
    def randomPokemon
     btpokemon=load_data("Data/btpokemon.dat")
     numpokes=btpokemon.size
     selectedids=[]
     selectedpokes=[]
     while selectedids.size<6
      id=rand(numpokes)
      if !selectedids.include?(id)
       selectedids.push(id)
      end
     end
     for i in 0...6
      pokemon=btpokemon[selectedids[i]].createPokemon(50,31,$Trainer)
     end
     return selectedpokes
    end
    You'd have to write a script to allow the player to select three of those, then assign the player's old party to a variable, and assign the selected Pokémon to $Trainer.party.
    As I said, it's pretty challenging :)

Abilities are a bit easier. To add an ability, add a new entry to PBS/Abilities.txt. However, the new ability won't do anything. To give it an effect, search the PokeBattle scripts for 'PBAbilities::ABILITYNAME', replacing ABILITYNAME with a similar ability. For example, say I wanted to make an ability which increased the power of all Psychic-type moves in a pinch. I'd search for PBAbilities::BLAZE (seeing as it's basically a variation of the same thing). This gets me this line:
    Code:
      basedmg=modbasedmg if attacker.ability==PBAbilities::BLAZE&&type==PBTypes::FIRE
    So to add your new ability, you'd copy that line, and change it a bit, like this:
    Code:
      basedmg=modbasedmg if attacker.ability==PBAbilities::BLAZE&&type==PBTypes::FIRE
      basedmg=modbasedmg if attacker.ability==PBAbilities::PSYCHO&&type==PBTypes::PSYCHIC
    Obviously, for more complex abilities, it will be harder; the basics are the same, though.

Paradox101

Neither here nor there
    Years
  • 1. Edit the pbGetWildBattleBGM method in PokemonUtilities. For example:
    Code:
    def pbGetWildBattleBGM(species)
        if $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBGM
           return $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBGM.clone
        end
        wildbgm=pbGetMetadata(0,MetadataWildBattleBGM)
        if wildbgm
         wildbgm="#{wildbgm}"
        else
         wildbgm="002-Battle02.mid"
        end[B]
        case species
        when PBSpecies::REGICE, PBSpecies::REGIROCK, PBSpecies::REGISTEEL
         wildbgm="RegiBattle.mid"
        when PBSpecies::GROUDON, PBSpecies::KYOGRE, PBSpecies::RAYQUAZA
         wildbgm="TrioBattle.mid"
        when PBSpecies::DEOXYS
         wildbgm="DeoxysBattle.mid"
        end[/B]
        return pbStringToAudioFile(wildbgm)
    end
    2. You can edit the pbBackdrop method in PokeBattle_ActualScene to use a different background depending on a variable. For example:
    Code:
    def pbBackdrop
     outdoor=false
     if $game_map && pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataOutdoor)
      outdoor=true
     end
     case @battle.environment
      when PBEnvironment::Grass
       id=1
      when PBEnvironment::TallGrass
       id=2
      when PBEnvironment::MovingWater
       id=3
      when PBEnvironment::StillWater
       id=4
      when PBEnvironment::Underwater
       id=5
      when PBEnvironment::Rock
       id=7
      when PBEnvironment::Cave
       id=8
      when PBEnvironment::Sand
       id=9
      else
       id=(outdoor) ? 0 : 6
     end[B]
     if $game_variables[26]>0
      id=$game_variables[26]
     end[/B]
     if $PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack
      id=$PokemonGlobal.nextBattleBack
     end
     battlebg="Graphics/Pictures/battlebg#{id}.png"
     enemybase="Graphics/Pictures/enemybase#{id}.png"
     playerbase="Graphics/Pictures/playerbase#{id}.png"
    if true # !$game_temp.background_bitmap.respond_to?("radial_blur")
     pbAddPlane("battlebg",battlebg,@viewport)
    else
     source = $game_temp.background_bitmap
     bitmap = Bitmap.new(Graphics.width+32,Graphics.height)
     bitmap.stretch_blt(bitmap.rect, source, source.rect)
     bitmap.radial_blur(90, 12)
     @sprites["battlebg"] = Sprite.new(@viewport)
     @sprites["battlebg"].bitmap = bitmap
     @sprites["battlebg"].x = -16
     @sprites["battlebg"].y = 0
     @sprites["battlebg"].wave_amp = 8
     @sprites["battlebg"].wave_length = 240
     @sprites["battlebg"].wave_speed = 120
    end
     pbAddSprite("enemybase",-256,96+@yoffset,enemybase,@viewport) # ends at (224,96)
     pbAddSprite("playerbase",Graphics.width,192+@yoffset,playerbase,@viewport) # ends at (0,192)
     @sprites["enemybase"].z=-1 # For compatibility with RGSS2
     @sprites["playerbase"].z=-1 # For compatibility with RGSS2
     @sprites["battlebg"].z=-1 # For compatibility with RGSS2
    =begin
     if outdoor
      tone = $HourlyTones[Time.now.hour]
      @sprites["battlebg"].tone=tone
      @sprites["enemybase"].tone=tone
      @sprites["playerbase"].tone=tone
     end
    =end
    end
    That change will make the background ID equal to that of variable 26 if it is greater than 0. So if you named an image "battlebg10.png", you'd use it by changing variable 26 to 10. To go back to normal, change it to 0.

That BGM code worked perfectly. And I thank you for that.
    The second part not so well. Not on your codes fault, but my own. I am afraid I'm a bit of a newbie.. but if you don't ask, you don't learn. Thing is, I don't quite understand what you're saying... and I don't know how to change the background Id(?) to what is desired.
    Sorry if I'm being annoying. Perhaps soon with a bit of luck I won't be so crappy, heh.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Basically, the background files are named 'battlebg#.png', right? The game loads a different one for the different terrains you battle on.
    I added a small section which overwrites that with the contents of a variable. So if you wanted it to permanently use 'battlebg5.png', you'd use an event to change variable #26 to 5. You can change the number of the variable used by editing the relevant numbers in the script.

Paradox101

Neither here nor there
    Years
  • Basically, the background files are named 'battlebg#.png', right? The game loads a different one for the different terrains you battle on.
    I added a small section which overwrites that with the contents of a variable. So if you wanted it to permanently use 'battlebg5.png', you'd use an event to change variable #26 to 5. You can change the number of the variable used by editing the relevant numbers in the script.

The first part I understand, with the graphics and such. Its the eventing and scripting thats my achilles heel, I'm afraid. I have no idea what kind of event code to use to change the variable, and I'm a little confused, because by the looks of things with this code I can only have one battleback per playthrough, and when I wish to have several different ones for different area's on the game, I have to go back to the script and edit everything to change it... If that makes any sense at all.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    No, you simply use a Set Variable event command, choose the relevant variable, and set it to the ID of the battle background you want to use. The variables in the main RMXP editor correspond to the $game_variables[] variables in the scripts.
    To implement it, you could add a Set Variable command to all the events which transfer you to a map, or to invisible Player Touch events on the ground when you enter it. If you have, say, a volcano map, and your volcano background is 'battlebg10.png', at the entrance to the volcano, you'd add an event which changes that variable to 10. Then, when the player exits the volcano, you'd use another event to change it back to 0. Those commands can be added to existing warp events, too.
    You don't need to change anything in the script; the backgrounds are controlled with the in-game variables.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Yes, I thought about that, but I don't want it to show up on the pokedex you know =x. (btw, the gyarados thing is just an example)
    An alternative to the solution above is to indeed make a new pokémon with your different type combination (Water/Fire Gyarados), and to superficially change the Pokédex so that it only displays the first 493 pokémon rather than all of them (you'd also need to edit the "add 1 to seen/own counter" thing to only apply to the first 493 pokémon, so that shiny pokémon aren't counted as extra ones when you see/catch them). It's a case of changing just one line, I believe.

This would be good for a start, but if you wanted them to actually replace the shiny pokémon rather than be a separate encounter (where the rarest they'd be would be 1%, as defined in encounters.txt), then you'd need to add a little thing to the encounter generating script to the effect of "if shiny, then check the species and replace it with the alternate type version if there is one". This would be somewhat like above, except it changes the species rather than just the types.

I think creating a new pokémon rather than edit an existing one depending on it being shiny would be more useful if you wanted to change other aspects about it as well (such as move lists or stats). While it would certainly be possible to change those through the application of the solution above, it seems easier in the end to edit it by editing a new pokémon rather thaan adding a bunch of scripts that checks the species and shininess and does different things.

No, you simply use a Set Variable event command, choose the relevant variable, and set it to the ID of the battle background you want to use. The variables in the main RMXP editor correspond to the $game_variables[] variables in the scripts.
    To implement it, you could add a Set Variable command to all the events which transfer you to a map, or to invisible Player Touch events on the ground when you enter it. If you have, say, a volcano map, and your volcano background is 'battlebg10.png', at the entrance to the volcano, you'd add an event which changes that variable to 10. Then, when the player exits the volcano, you'd use another event to change it back to 0. Those commands can be added to existing warp events, too.
    You don't need to change anything in the script; the backgrounds are controlled with the in-game variables.
    In addition to this solution, you could expand on the script-based settings for more control. In the pbBackdrop script Wichu quoted above, you could instead change the backdrop ID number depending on the map you're on (if in a desert, then have a sandy background, etc.). You could also set up a different backdrop depending on the time of day, the type of encounter, the encountered species, etc. etc., as well as setting the ID like Wichu suggested above, and by using nextBattleBack.

...If you wanted to have more control, that is. It's also a little easier to see which maps have which backdrops, since it's all a big list in the script rather than looking in every event in turn. But whichever works for you.

Paradox101

Neither here nor there
    Years
  • No, you simply use a Set Variable event command, choose the relevant variable, and set it to the ID of the battle background you want to use. The variables in the main RMXP editor correspond to the $game_variables[] variables in the scripts.

So... invisible player touch events. Okay..
    But what exactly is the change variable command? I have no idea how to change the variables to what I want, because I don't know the code / script or whatnot... bah, I feel like both and idiot and a chore at this point..

In addition to this solution, you could expand on the script-based settings for more control. In the pbBackdrop script Wichu quoted above, you could instead change the backdrop ID number depending on the map you're on (if in a desert, then have a sandy background, etc.). You could also set up a different backdrop depending on the time of day, the type of encounter, the encountered species, etc. etc., as well as setting the ID like Wichu suggested above, and by using nextBattleBack.

...If you wanted to have more control, that is. It's also a little easier to see which maps have which backdrops, since it's all a big list in the script rather than looking in every event in turn. But whichever works for you.

Too bad I have no idea how to do all this. I'm completely fresh to all this coding buisness I'm afraid... this is my first project, after all. Even if it is rather small.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    So... invisible player touch events. Okay..
    But what exactly is the change variable command? I have no idea how to change the variables to what I want, because I don't know the code / script or whatnot... bah, I feel like both and idiot and a chore at this point..
    Make a blank event, go into it and put a line in. One of the options is "Control Variables" (page 1, top right). It's easy.

Too bad I have no idea how to do all this. I'm completely fresh to all this coding buisness I'm afraid... this is my first project, after all. Even if it is rather small.
    No worries. What I said is certainly not important; it was just a bit more info for anyone who cared.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back