• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradox101

Neither here nor there
Years
  • Alright.. got the control Variables page open, but now there's all these options and I have clue what relates to what..

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Alright.. got the control Variables page open, but now there's all these options and I have clue what relates to what..
    The window has the question mark box at the top right, which will help explain what's going on. Simply, put, the top section says what variable or variables to change, the middle section says what to do to it (you'll want Set), and the bottom section says what value to set it to.

This is one of the most basic parts of RPG Maker XP. You really do need to read guides on it and just play with the basic program for a few months before even thinking about making a Pokémon game. A Pokémon game is quite a bit more complex than a generic RPG, so if you don't know the basics of RPG Maker you'll find it impossible to do anything.

Paradox101

Neither here nor there
    Years
  • Thing is, this isnt a proper game. I'm merely trying to get all the features and codes and whatnot figured out- playing around with stuff, like you said. This is merely part of that learning experience.

I was merely wondering how I set it to this specific variable. When I open up the first section, it gives me a load of reserved codes.. but I'm not sure which one is the one I want, or how to create the variable if need be.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Thing is, this isnt a proper game. I'm merely trying to get all the features and codes and whatnot figured out- playing around with stuff, like you said. This is merely part of that learning experience.

I was merely wondering how I set it to this specific variable. When I open up the first section, it gives me a load of reserved codes.. but I'm not sure which one is the one I want, or how to create the variable if need be.

Well you need to read guides and stuff and learn it yourself. Almost no one is willing to teach you step by step. Like you said, play around with stuff and figure out what they do.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Thing is, this isnt a proper game. I'm merely trying to get all the features and codes and whatnot figured out- playing around with stuff, like you said. This is merely part of that learning experience.

The variables all already exist - they're just not set to a value.

At the top, click on the arrow next to the box to pick a single variable. You'll get a list of all variables in the game. Find the one with the same number as whatever you put into the script (Wichu made it 26). Now, you can (and should) name this variable so you don't accidentally use it elsewhere as well. When selecting the variable, type in the name you want ("For Battlebacks" or something), and then click "OK".

As far as reserved variables goes, don't use any of the first 25 (i.e. the first page). Easy to remember. You could even name them "Reserved" just to help you remember - the names of variables don't affect the game, they're just an aid for you.

The middle section, you'll want to make it "Set" (which it is by default).

The third section, you'll want to set it to a constant. Put the battleback ID number into the box next to "Constant".

Again, I strongly recommend you play with the basic RPG Maker, and not with Essentials. The latter builds on the former, and you need to know the former first. Seriously. Forget about Pokémon for the time being (or spend the time inventing fakemon or something), and play with RPG Maker itself.

You say it's part of the learning experience. The thing is, there are plenty of better places you can ask questions about the basics. People are just going to ignore you if you ask how to create an NPC or something, and that'll just discourage you. You should be learning the basics either from playing around by yourself, or from reading tutorials or asking people in different forums. This isn't the kind of forum for asking RPG Maker basics.

And to be blunt, this question was one of the VERY basic basics. There are much harder things in RPG Maker, and even harder things in Essentials. If you're having trouble here (and you're not willing to make any guesses and learn from your mistakes, nor find one of the hundreds of tutorials on the Interweb), then you're just not cut out for this.

Paradox101

Neither here nor there
    Years
  • Understood.
    Thank you for all the help, its thoroughly appreciated.

And I suppose you're right. It's just I never really got on with tutorials... you can't ask them to explain it a different way like another person can if you don't quite understand something.
    But either way, I'll act on your advice. Though everythings been going pretty okay so far, I'll put some time aside to seriously knuckle down on the basics.. I've got the materials and eventing things down quite well, its merely the scripting and such which is my serious weakness. Heh. So, I think I'll try just mucking about with the core program for a bit. Then when I've learnt whats out there.. perhaps I'll come back here and hope to get some experience under a team project or something. You gotta start somewhere, in any case.

Also, little tip- your advice is top notch, but you could try being a little nicer and less stern about things, you know? Just food for thought.

Years
  • Sorry Wichu, completely forgot about posting the Event too. Anyway, here is the Event.
    HTML:
    @>Conditional Branch: Script : Kernel.pbWhirlpool	
      @>Script: pbEraseThisEvent
      @>
     : Else
      @>
     : Branch End
    @>

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2009
    Hi, when I use the Pokemon Starter kit for RPG Maker XP and I jump over an edge. That all works well, it jumped over the edge without a error but when I do a step after I jumped I get an error:

Exception: NoMethodError
    Interpreter:883:in `command_116'
    Interpreter:334:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:190:in `update'
    Interpreter:104:in `loop'
    Interpreter:195:in `update'
    Game_Event_:230:in `update'
    Game_Map_:309:in `update'
    Game_Map_:307:in `each'
    Game_Map_:307:in `update'
    Scene_Map:34:in `updateMaps'

Can some1 help me plz?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Hi, when I use the Pokemon Starter kit for RPG Maker XP and I jump over an edge. That all works well, it jumped over the edge without a error but when I do a step after I jumped I get an error:

Exception: NoMethodError
    Interpreter:883:in `command_116'
    Interpreter:334:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:190:in `update'
    Interpreter:104:in `loop'
    Interpreter:195:in `update'
    Game_Event_:230:in `update'
    Game_Map_:309:in `update'
    Game_Map_:307:in `each'
    Game_Map_:307:in `update'
    Scene_Map:34:in `updateMaps'

Can some1 help me plz?
    That error comes up when you are trying to erase a non-existant event. Are you sure you haven't placed pbEraseThisEvent anyway where it shouldn't be?

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2009
    How do I make an event for a ledgendary pokemon encounter? Like, if you talk to it, it'll make a sound and you'll battle it at a certain level?

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    Taken from notes.html:
    Wild Pokémon Battles

To generate a wild Pokémon battle, call pbWildBattle(X,Y,V,C) where X is the species number of the Pokémon, and Y is its level. See PBSpecies for species IDs. The optional parameter V represents the number of a variable to store the result of the battle (1=won; 3=escaped; 4=caught), and the optional parameter C is true if the player can escape from the battle.
    Put the pbWildBattle into an event. The notes file is very useful, huh?

Pitaelitmaster

The Master Of Puppets
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    gym leader

Is a gym leader battle script the same as a normal trainer battle script?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Is a gym leader battle script the same as a normal trainer battle script?

Yes, you just have to make it so it calls the trainer class your using for that gym leader
    Not to mention flip a "Beat the Fire Gym" global switch to turn off all trainers in that Gym (i.e. make them say "You beat the Sword Master!" instead of challenging the player/saying "I lost" - or whatever you want them to do), and to give the player a new badge/TM afterwards. All this is done in events based on "if player wins this battle"; it doesn't affect the battle itself.

Other events that are unlocked only after said Gym Leader can either be unlocked using the same "Beat the Fire Gym" switch or by checking if badge number 3 is TRUE (i.e. you have it). Each way is as easy as the other.

Sion

Somber Soul
    Years
  • Alright. I'm currently trying to overhaul my battle system to that of D/Pt.
    I've started with the Health bars. But I'm having an issue with the
    long advance hp bar showing. The D/Pt health bar I'm using is smaller.
    How do I edit the increase/decrease health bar pics to go with my new
    bars?

Also, I would like to make the text on the aforementioned health bars WHITE
    instead of BLACK. What script and line would I have to edit?

I have two screenshots of my current situation. And my desired outcome.

CURRENT

DESIRED

Thanks in advance,

~Sion

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 20, 2013
    Go into the Script Editor and click on "PokeBattle_ActualScene." Lines 584 and 585 are the base and shadow colors for the text in the Pokémon's status box. Replace the stuff after the equal sign with the new base and shadow colors like so.

Code:
    base=Color.new(248,248,248)
    shadow=Color.new(96,96,96)

I think the shadow color is a little too light, but it should look okay. Hope I've helped. :3

As for my question, I need more players than A, B, C, and D. *whispers* A lot more. Does anyone know how I can make it unlimited?

Sion

Somber Soul
    Years
  • Thank you, that fixed the color problem.
    My health bars are still out of whack though.

There's no way I could make it so the bars would fit in
    alignment to mine?

~Sion

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    There is an equation you can edit in Actualscene that determines the length of the health bar. In the equation, there is a multiplication by how long the bar should be, edit that number to the amount of pixels you want. I can't remember the equation of the top of my head. but it should look something like this: (totalhp-hp) * 104. Something like that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2009
    OK, thanks Trikeboy. The script worked perfectly. I am now trying to make a knockoff of faraway island. (You know, Mew's island.) Here's the deal. Mew's supposed to fly all over the map, when you first see him, it'll be a player touch event. The text will be: "MEW flew off somewhere!" This much works. I have 3 variables. One for each no-battle encounter.
    Mew 1
    Mew 2
    Mew 3
    Then, Mew appears on the other side of the map and battles you. I need help with the events because I checked over everything but still all that works is the player touch (first) event. I would have shown screenshots, but I have yet to reach 15 posts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back