• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I've decided not to mess with the nature...it really isn't that important compared to the rest. There are still two errors I'm getting.
    The first is with the abilities. It crashes upon running the script:
    Looks like you can't define the ability like that. I can't help you there.

The second is with the moves, it runs that part of the script without crashing, but once you go to the menu to check on its moves the move screen is blank and it returns this:
    Use "PBMove", not "PBMoves".

Years
  • EDIT:
    I figured it out...the syntax is kinda strange:
    yourPokemon.moves[0]=PBMove.new(PBMoves::SURF)
    yourPokemon.moves[1]=PBMove.new(PBMoves::VOLTTACKLE)
    yourPokemon.moves[2]=PBMove.new(PBMoves::THUNDER)
    yourPokemon.moves[3]=PBMove.new(PBMoves::SUBSTITUTE)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2012
    Is it possible to stop the Pokemon from bouncing when it is your turn on the battle screen, but not the health/status box? I'm assuming it is a simple bit of the script, but I can't for the life of my figure it out.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2010
    Hey, although I've gotten to grips with pretty much all of the features already within the kit, I find myself wondering - is it possible to include mid-battle dialogue (when sending out last Pokemon, when that Pokemon is on low health) like in Diamond & Pearl forwards? I'm making this game on behalf of some other people, so to speak, and they'd like to include such a thing, so would it be possible? If so, how?

Thanks for the amazing starterkit, and thanks in advance for any answers.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Thank you for the advice, I think it'll work. The only issue with that is the larger number of events used might cause lag, especially in big cities :(

This is what I had in mind for solving this:
    Each tileset would have a corresponding image that just had the lit parts of the tileset, with everything transparent. An extra image layer, similar to the fog layer, would be added; the day/night tinting would be disabled for this. The tile from the light image which corresponds to the highest-priority non-blank tile from the map would be copied onto the image layer. Finally, the image would be made visible or invisible depending on the time of day.

I can't script this for about two weeks, as I haven't currently got access to RMXP; however, when I can, I'll do so. Maybe it can be integrated into Essentials.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Is it possible to stop the Pokemon from bouncing when it is your turn on the battle screen, but not the health/status box? I'm assuming it is a simple bit of the script, but I can't for the life of my figure it out.
    PokeBattle_ActualScene, in class "PokemonBattlerSprite" (roughly line 380), look for the line "@spriteYExtra=2" Make this zero instead.

You'll need some other way to decide which Pokémon you're targeting, though, as the bobbing is also the way you choose the target. This is only important in double battles, with moves that hit just one opponent.

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
  • Got a question for the game system...
    I want to add Pokemon, but I don't want them to have to start at 541 because that's where the Pokemon icons stop. So what do I do? Do I edit the script somewhere? I was hoping I'd be able to implement a seamless national Pokedex after getting a regional one.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    How i do a encounter for the nigth???
    I did some looking and found I was slightly off in my earlier explanation. Open the encounters.txt and make a new entry in the same format as Land. However, replace Land with LandMorning, LandDay, or LandNight. I'm sure you can figure out the rest from there. I thought you could do this with the editor, but you can't. It's in the notes under Advanced Topics.

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Got a question for the game system...
    I want to add Pokemon, but I don't want them to have to start at 541 because that's where the Pokemon icons stop. So what do I do? Do I edit the script somewhere? I was hoping I'd be able to implement a seamless national Pokedex after getting a regional one.
    Those extra icons in Graphics/Icons aren't used at all by the game. They're just there for the sake of completeness - it's expected that if you want to use them, you'll rename them to their species' numbers (e.g. Deoxys sprites to "icon386_0.png", that kind of thing). You can get rid of any icon higher than Arceus without worry.

The Egg icon and sprite are kept in Graphics/Pictures, by the way. Not entirely sure why.

Crystal Keyblade

Master of Ice.
    Years
  • I have a question about the light script.
    The one that sets a point of light and then makes the player cast a shadow.
    Is there an event i can make to make the light and shadows only appear at a certain time of day?

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
  • Does anyone know if there's a way to get the species of a pokemon that you've just selected? I have some switches that are activated if a specific pokemon has been chosen, but ... they're not working.

I was using "pbGetPokemon(1).species==::PbSpecies::<specific species goes here>", but it's clearly incorrect.

this is the error I get when I try that:
    Spoiler:

Rassalon

Epic One
    Years
  • Just noticed some scripts labeled:
    PokeBattleGen1_Battler,
    PokeBattleGen1_Move,
    Im presuming these are a gen 1 style battle system. However i can't seem to find a way to use it. Can someone please enlighten me?

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2023
    Looks like you can't define the ability like that. I can't help you there.

I think he might be able to do it now with the new multiple form scripts that came out. It would require some scripting, However,and if one has a heavily custumized starterkit (like many here), it could be quite an effort to update to the latest version.

Edit: The code might look something like this for the latest pokemon essentials
    Code:
    MultipleForms.register(:PIKACHU,{
    "ability"=>proc{|pokemon|
     if pokemon.form==0
      next getID(PBAbilities,:STATIC)
     else
      next getID(PBAbilities,:SWIFTSWIM)
     end
    }
    })
    then instead of assigning an ability in the trade you would code:
    Code:
    pokemon.form=1

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2014
    I did some looking and found I was slightly off in my earlier explanation. Open the encounters.txt and make a new entry in the same format as Land. However, replace Land with LandMorning, LandDay, or LandNight. I'm sure you can figure out the rest from there. I thought you could do this with the editor, but you can't. It's in the notes under Advanced Topics.
    Thanks,but i get a error

Compiler:1044:in `pbCompileEncounters'
    Compiler:3829:in `pbCompileAllData'
    Compiler:3939
    Exception: RuntimeError
    Message: Undefined encounter type , expected one of the following:
    ["Land", "Cave", "Water", "RockSmash", "OldRod", "GoodRod", "SuperRod", "HeadbuttLow", "HeadbuttHigh", "LandMorning", "LandDay", "LandNight", "BugContest"]
    File PBS/encounters.txt, line 1

Compiler:1044:in `pbCompileEncounters'
    Compiler:3829:in `pbCompileAllData'
    Compiler:3939
    :(

Years
  • Does anyone know if there's a way to get the species of a pokemon that you've just selected? I have some switches that are activated if a specific pokemon has been chosen, but ... they're not working.

I was using "pbGetPokemon(1).species==::PbSpecies::<specific species goes here>", but it's clearly incorrect.

this is the error I get when I try that:
    Spoiler:

You're saying after you selected a Pokemon using pbChoosePokemon?
    In that case the Pokemon's ID is stored in variable 1 so use pbGet(1) in the $Trainer.party[] array. I'm assuming you're using the script part of a conditional branch so try this:

$Trainer.party[pbGet(1)]==PBSpecies::BULBASAUR

And change BULBASAUR to whatever you're checking for.

I think he might be able to do it now with the new multiple form scripts that came out. It would require some scripting, However,and if one has a heavily custumized starterkit (like many here), it could be quite an effort to update to the latest version.

Edit: The code might look something like this for the latest pokemon essentials
    Code:
    MultipleForms.register(:PIKACHU,{
    "ability"=>proc{|pokemon|
     if pokemon.form==0
      next getID(PBAbilities,:STATIC)
     else
      next getID(PBAbilities,:SWIFTSWIM)
     end
    }
    })
    then instead of assigning an ability in the trade you would code:
    Code:
    pokemon.form=1
    Good idea! And then I could give the Pikachu a surfing graphic too!

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2010
    Still getting this error when I choose a Pokémon (works fine on the test lab map, but I made another one and copied over the events and I get this)
    Code:
    Exception: NoMethodError

Game_Character_1:172:in `screen_z'

Sprite_Character:127:in `update_or'

PerspectiveTilemap:408:in `shadow_update'

Shadow:179:in `update'

Spriteset_Map:242:in `_animationSprite_update'

Spriteset_Map:237:in `each'

Spriteset_Map:237:in `_animationSprite_update'

AnimationSprite:92:in `update'

Scene_Map:51:in `updateSpritesets'

Scene_Map:45:in `each'

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Just a quick heads-up to let everyone know that the evolution methods ItemMale and ItemFemale (used only for Kirlia and Snorunt respectively - use a Dawn Stone on them) are incomplete. They will currently evolve if any evolution stone is used on them, not just the Dawn Stone. The gender check is fine, though.

The fix is easy - I'm just letting you all know that it needs to be done if you're going to use those methods.

I discovered this during research for the wiki page on evolution. See, it's useful!

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Ihave a quick question - when it says BADGEFORDIVE can that be changed to BADGEFORDIG and have dig replace dive as an HM? It would take some scripting I'm sure so any help is appreciated.

Also, following playing Pokemon ranger I have been throwing an idea around and I - being a noob scripter - was wondering if it was possible: Can it be made that HMs, rather than being a physical item, are rather an ability that is permanently unlocked by a person, allowed by a badge and usable by any Pokemon who could learn the move at any time?

i.e. I beat a gym that allows SURF. An aide tells me that the professor wants me, and that the easiest way to get back is by surfing across a river, so he teaches me how to surf. From now on, provided I have a Pokemon with me that previously would have been taught the SURF HM - say Blastoise - I can now surf whenever i like. However if I was to put Blastoise into the box and my party now consisted of Pidgey and Oddish I could no longer surf until I had a Pokemon who was able.

It would remove the need for HM slaves and also free up move slots for a team. The HMs themselves could be rendered as regular moves, and the new 'abilities' could be listed in a sub window of the trainer card or something.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back