• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    With the new daycare thing I'm making, I found that the $PokemonGlobal.daycare works perfectly, but a new global variable in the exact same format with a different name does not. It is defined in PokemonMap, and has the attr_accessor, as well as the @raiser=[[nil,0],[nil,0]]. However, if I use $PokemonGlobal.raiser, I get an error. Also, it doesn't allow the use of the for i in 0...2 arrays, whereas $PokemonGlobal.daycare does. Any ideas?

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
    A little help, if someone could?

Hi, I'm trying to insert a new weather. Quite happily, I was able to get it working, seemingly without any hitches, in battle.

Unfortunately, though, the page that deals with how weather is displayed on the overworld (sandstorm bitmaps, rain etc) has so much math and so few real words that I can't seem to make heads or tails of it.

In particular, I'm confused by the referencing of a fifth weather:
    Spoiler:

But since everywhere else there are only 4 (plus normal weather, of course, which is 0), mine should be five, and I'm not sure how to deal with this.

I don't know how to create graphics for my chosen weather, either, but I figure that's a problem for another day... DX

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    I'd like to be able to use the Battle Factory poccil added to the kit a little while ago for a very simple project, but it doesn't work. I imagine most people around here don't use the Frontier-type functionality too often (that's the impression I get, anyway, and I seem to be the first one to point out these errors) so I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help fix it off the bat... but maybe one of you more experienced scripters will at least know where I'm actually supposed to look to fix the problems myself, because as it stands now I can't even figure that out. :/

All right, time to paint a picture. I started with a clean, unedited copy of the latest version of Essentials (April 12th). I can playtest it/run the Game.exe and access the Battle Factory through that "Where would you like to go?" computer. I can speak to either attendant at the desks and get as far as confirming that I'd like to make a challenge. The game then gives me the option to "not generate teams" (run off of the default bttrainers and btpokemon files, I think), "generate existing teams" (pull from bttrainers or from any of the other files in trainerlists, like pikacup or fancycup), or "generate new teams" (which, if I'm understanding this correctly, uses the PokemonOrgBattleGenerator script to generate a selection of pokémon/moves completely at random). If I select "generate new teams", it tells me that the process will take a long time; if I confirm it, it starts to run the script, but then it throws this error:

Spoiler:

I tried glancing at the scripts and lines in question and, unfortunately, couldn't make heads or tails of most of it or figure out what was wrong. I did notice that the code around line 183 in PokemonMultipleForms is where it starts defining the script for east/west shellos and gastrodon, and figured out that that one complaint, at the very least, was because there was no map data or similar defined for those pokémon's alternate forms and the generator didn't know what to do. That's probably an easy enough fix, even easier for me since I don't need shellos, gastrodon or any multiple-form pokémon at all at this point, so I commented that out and tried again. That got rid of all the complaints about PokemonMultipleForms, but then came up with this new error:

Spoiler:

I can see that it's still having other issues with the PokemonOrgBattleGenerator script, in addition to the towersingleopen.rxdata file, but I'm not sure what those issues are or how to fix them. Everything looks like it's in working order according to my untrained eyes, though it's possible that I'm missing something.

Now, having the ability to generate brand new, random teams would be fun, but I don't need it for my projects; all I need is the standard list of pokémon and trainers, and I can work with the other files (pikacuptr.txt, etc.) as well. So if no one knows how to fix that then it's no big deal. Unfortunately, though, the part of the factory that I *do* need is broken as well. If I tell the attendant that I don't want to generate any teams, or if I tell him to "generate from existing" and select one of the whatevercuptr files, it lets me save the game and follow him into the next room; it then throws another runtime error before it lets the game take my team and start the swap script.

Spoiler:

I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea what's going on there, as I don't *think* there's anything wrong with the pbPrepareRentals section of code (line 737 in PokemonOrgBattle, iirc) it's complaining about.

And now for what's probably the biggest problem of all. I experimented with a few of the other Frontier-type facilities after being thoroughly stumped by these errors. I don't actually need any of the others, but I thought I might see whether or not they worked out of curiosity. I figured they would be okay--the second most recent version of Essentials that I have has a functioning Battle Tower, though that was the September 5th '09 release so much has obviously been changed. Anyway, as long as I don't select the "generate new teams" option, I can actually start a challenge in both the Battle Tower and the Battle Arena. I can select an attack and have my pokémon use it... and then it's my turn again. :/ If I don't knock the opponent out with my attack, it will just do nothing and immediately jump to my turn. If the opponent faints, the other trainer will not send out a new pokémon and it's still my turn; I can select an attack, but obviously it says that there's no target and accomplishes absolutely nothing before going back to my turn again. The opponent is completely unable to make a move, leaving me with no choices but a) forfeit, b) attack empty air until I run out of PP and am forced to struggle (I have no idea what would happen then, and I don't feel like sticking around to find out), or c) close the game outright*. There's no error message and no crash; the game just hums happily along while skipping the opponent's turn and leaving me stuck.

So I tried battling a normal, non-facility trainer on one of the test maps to see if something similar happened. It didn't, of course; the battles progressed as normal and my opponent's turn was never skipped. (And since regular trainer battles are a part of the kit that people actually use, I'm sure someone would've said something before now if that was broken.)

What this means, as far as I can tell, is that the way normal trainer battles and "facility" trainer battles are handled is different. Whatever Essentials is using to make Frontier facility turn order work properly is fine and dandy as of September 5th of last year, but sometime between then and the April 12th release it was broken by some change or other. I've tried scouring the changelogs but so far haven't had any luck, especially since I can't quite tell which parts of which scripts are responsible for turn order and the like in the first place. It may very well be an easy fix--maybe all that needs to be done is copying and pasting something from whatever handles normal battles over to whatever handles Frontier battles--but I don't know what I'm looking for so that I can try that. :/

I realize that that's rather a lot to look through, but if you have any time to help out or point me in the right direction, even if it's just for one part of one problem, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

*Interestingly, this causes yet another problem--if I close the window without exiting the facility properly and then restart, the game erases all the pokémon in my party save for those I actually entered into the challenge. I haven't looked into why this happens yet, though I suspect it has to do with the game not saving them into the appropriate variable properly. I'm not terribly concerned about this at the moment--worst comes to worst I can just warn people "don't close the game without saving properly", and the project I'm working on won't involve any of the standard training/catching/leveling anyway so it's no great loss--but it seems like a rather nasty problem for someone who might be playing a game with a team they've actually spent time raising, etc..

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2023
    I have the newest version

its not a RMXP error

it just crushes like how normal program crushes

it happens for all of the evolutions
    Sorry, I have never had mine crash like that without throwing an error. Maybe somebody else has.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Hi, I'm trying to insert a new weather. Quite happily, I was able to get it working, seemingly without any hitches, in battle.

Unfortunately, though, the page that deals with how weather is displayed on the overworld (sandstorm bitmaps, rain etc) has so much math and so few real words that I can't seem to make heads or tails of it.

In particular, I'm confused by the referencing of a fifth weather:
    Spoiler:

But since everywhere else there are only 4 (plus normal weather, of course, which is 0), mine should be five, and I'm not sure how to deal with this.

I don't know how to create graphics for my chosen weather, either, but I figure that's a problem for another day... DX
    That fifth weather is "Sunny" (as you'll see in Pokémon Ruby when Groudon is messing with the weather). Basically, the outside maps get brighter (even at night) and glow in a pulsating manner. It also means sunny weather is in effect during battles.

All the maths in that clause is because the brightness is changing, whereas in all the other weathers the brightness is a constant (albeit different to when there's no weather). I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Just make your new weather "overworld weather number 6".

A lot of stuff.
    The first error is caused by the capitalised "ID" in PokemonMultipleForms line 185. It should be lower case. It shouldn't matter that you haven't defined any map IDs yet.

The second error is that, in the event you're using that sets up the Battle Tower whatever it is, the line including "towersingleopen" is stretched over two lines because it's too long to fit on one line. Use extendtext.exe.

I'm not sure about the third error (because I don't know how the Tower scripts work), but I think it's because of "pbBattleChallenge.extra.pbPrepareRentals". Delete the red part and try that.

As for the battling problem, again, I don't know how the Tower scripts work. I can't help you here.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2010
    Can anyone show me how to set for a specfic pokeball to work on catching a trainers pokemon and the same ball work better on catching a specfic type of pokemon. like the nest ball and dusk ball do. Just this I want to use on a new type of pokemon?

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2019
    I need help on something that I can't find the answer to anywhere! The Townmapgen.HTML won't work for me! I have Vista and the page automatically opens up to Internet Explorer. (These things are common but I thought I might as well list them.) I can click on anything on the map, but nothing hapens! It just refuses to work, can anybody help me with this?

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    The first error is caused by the capitalised "ID" in PokemonMultipleForms line 185. It should be lower case. It shouldn't matter that you haven't defined any map IDs yet.

The second error is that, in the event you're using that sets up the Battle Tower whatever it is, the line including "towersingleopen" is stretched over two lines because it's too long to fit on one line. Use extendtext.exe.

I'm not sure about the third error (because I don't know how the Tower scripts work), but I think it's because of "pbBattleChallenge.extra.pbPrepareRentals". Delete the red part and try that.

As for the battling problem, again, I don't know how the Tower scripts work. I can't help you here.

Hm... well, I've gone and changed the case of the map_id in the event that I need it later; thanks for that. I tried extendtext.exe to fix the second problem, but it doesn't seem to work for me. It doesn't look like it's done anything, anyway, and I'm still getting the error when I playtest. I think that may be because I'm running this on Ubuntu, though, and while I might have gotten RMXP and the Game.exe files to work, it may not be playing nice with extendtext. I'll see about trying it on Windows at some point, though it would be nice if I didn't have to switch back and forth between the two OS's just to work on the one project. :/ Has anyone out there had success with extendtext.exe on a Linux system?

There is nothing called pbBattleChallenge.extra.pbPrepareRentals, unfortunately, at least not one that I can find; I'd searched for it before. I think the program may be putting that together dynamically (if that's how it works :B) but I can't find any of what would make it up aside from pbPrepareRentals and pbBattleChallenge. I don't know where it's getting the .extra. in the middle from.

@dannydmf: What do you mean, "nothing happens"? I know in mine there's a slight error where it's looking for the wrong file (map.png as opposed to Map.png, which is the image's actual name, but that's trivial to deal with), but other than that it seems to work fine. Are you not able to fill in the fields below the map image when you click on a point you want to edit?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2019
    @Delusions of Originality
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I can click at any point in the map and nothing will happen. I can't do anything to fill in the "Current Position" box and I can't really make a map, I seriously don't know whats wrong..

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    No, but having it disabled is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that would stop it from working completely. I don't really know what to tell you, then. :/

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    No, but having it disabled is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that would stop it from working completely. I don't really know what to tell you, then. :/
    I was digging through the notes on shiny pokemon, and it says that a switch must be defined, etc., but the example is for an evented wild battle, not a random encounter. Are there shiny pokemon in random encounters?

EDIT: Nevermind, sorry for the dumb question, the notes weren't very clear on the subject.

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. He's asking about the town map, not anything pertaining to encounters. Or did you mean to quote someone else?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. He's asking about the town map, not anything pertaining to encounters. Or did you mean to quote someone else?
    Sorry, I hit the wrong button. Anyways, the townmapgen thing was difficult for me to figure out at first too. If you don't do everything exactly right, then it usually won't work right. Does anyone know of any tutorials for the townmapgen? If not, someone should make one.

Also, back to the shiny thing, can someone give me an explanation of the isShiny? method? I noticed that if I mess with it to simplify it, by generating a random number and checking its value, It will randomly make the pokemon in my party shiny too (by random, I mean some of them are shiny one minute, then normal the next).

Last edited:

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
    Well I'll see if I can do it, and then I'll put it on the Essentials Wiki by Maruno. ^^

On the downside, I have to restart my project because my flash drive has gone missing! Darn you for being so small with no way to find you when your lost!

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Well I'll see if I can do it, and then I'll put it on the Essentials Wiki by Maruno. ^^

On the downside, I have to restart my project because my flash drive has gone missing! Darn you for being so small with no way to find you when your lost!
    That should be helpful for a lot of people, especially beginners. Also, I know how annoying it is to lose stuff like that, but there's a saying that "Good stories are written, but great stories are re-written." I know that my first attempt at a game was awful, but trashing the entire project I originally had helped me start in a better direction.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    How can I slow the movement speed of the player? It seems to move pretty fast when walking around in my game.
    Towards the bottom of Walk_Run are a few lines that change "@move_speed" depending on what the player is doing (cycling/running/walking). The associated speeds are 5.2, 4.8 and 3.8 respectively. Bigger numbers mean a faster speed. Fiddle with them as necessary.

Ignore the 8/6.5/4.5 numbers - they're for use if you're using RPG Maker VX, which you won't be.

Can anyone show me how to set for a specfic pokeball to work on catching a trainers pokemon and the same ball work better on catching a specfic type of pokemon. like the nest ball and dusk ball do. Just this I want to use on a new type of pokemon?
    PokeBattle_Battle, in pbThrowPokeBall. Everything relevant is in here.

As I understand it, this question is in two parts. Firstly, you want a particular Ball to be able to capture enemy trainers' Pokémon (i.e. a Snag Ball, which is easy to make). Secondly, you want to change the catch rate of the target Pokémon depending on whatever - calculations that affect the catch rate can be found slightly lower down (look for "NETBALL" or "GREATBALL" and see what they do).

I'm not sure what you mean by wanting to use it on a "new type of Pokémon", but if it's an arbitrary list of Pokémon that are affected (e.g. legendaries - there's nothing special about them as far as the code is concerned), then you can simply make an array containing the names of those Pokémon and check whether the target Pokémon is any of those species; if yes, change the catch rate.

Hm... well, I've gone and changed the case of the map_id in the event that I need it later; thanks for that. I tried extendtext.exe to fix the second problem, but it doesn't seem to work for me. It doesn't look like it's done anything, anyway, and I'm still getting the error when I playtest. I think that may be because I'm running this on Ubuntu, though, and while I might have gotten RMXP and the Game.exe files to work, it may not be playing nice with extendtext. I'll see about trying it on Windows at some point, though it would be nice if I didn't have to switch back and forth between the two OS's just to work on the one project. :/ Has anyone out there had success with extendtext.exe on a Linux system?
    Try this rearrangement:

Code:
    pbBattleChallenge.set(
    "towersingleopen",7,
    pbBattleFactoryRules(false,true))
    This way no attribute is straddling two lines. This is important, because lines of script don't "wrap around" in the script box of events - each line is treated as a separate line exactly how it appears, and the game can't figure out what pbBattleChallenge.set("towersingleope means.

Also, back to the shiny thing, can someone give me an explanation of the isShiny? method? I noticed that if I mess with it to simplify it, by generating a random number and checking its value, It will randomly make the pokemon in my party shiny too (by random, I mean some of them are shiny one minute, then normal the next).
    The def isShiny? takes two numbers: the Pokémon's personal ID number (a long string of random numbers created when the Pokémon was, and which determines gender/nature/shininess/Unown letter/which ability it has, along with probably a couple of other things) and the original trainer's ID number (otherwise known as OT ID, this is a big random number associated with the player - the 5 digit number on your Trainer Card is part of this OT ID).

It then performs a few calculations with these two numbers (which never change for that Pokémon), which happens to yield a simple number between 0 and 65536. If this number is less than 8, the def returns true (i.e. it is shiny), and false otherwise (i.e. it's not shiny).

This def does not change the Pokémon's shininess, nor does it introduce any random number itself. The two numbers it uses are always fixed for any given Pokémon, and thus the calculation always returns the same result (i.e. a shiny Pokémon is always shiny, and a non-shiny is always non-shiny).

What you did in your "simplification" was to introduce a random number into this calculation. This random number changes every time the shininess is checked (which is NOT the same as "every time a Pokémon is made shiny or not"), and therefore shininess becomes purely random and changes from one moment to the next for a Pokémon.

Basically, don't mess with it. There's no need to simplify it - if you want to change how common shiny Pokémon are, simply change that "8" to another number (that number divided by 65535 are the odds of finding a shiny Pokémon - the default 8/65535 = 0.012%).

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    Try this rearrangement:

Code:
    pbBattleChallenge.set(
    "towersingleopen",7,
    pbBattleFactoryRules(false,true))
    This way no attribute is straddling two lines. This is important, because lines of script don't "wrap around" in the script box of events - each line is treated as a separate line exactly how it appears, and the game can't figure out what pbBattleChallenge.set("towersingleope means.

Ah, thank you, that did the trick. (It still doesn't work because "the script is taking too long", and even if it got that far it'd probably hang up on whatever is wrong with the swap script, but no more runtime error message.) I was going to see if there was some way I could shorten the name of what it was referencing but realized that that wasn't enough to keep the line from wrapping; that way makes more sense. I'll keep it in mind if anything else does that, at least until I can get extendtext to work.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back