• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Okay, thanks. That should help a lot. I'll go see what I can do with it, and hopefully make some headway. :D

EDIT: Okay, after nearly making my head implode (over lots of stupid little things that should have been easy, no less!), I finally got it running without error on my test map. Which is to say, the map loads, and when I get into a wild battle the Poison Mist weather is in effect. So much thanks!

Now I just have to figure out this whole business with @rain_bitmap and etc - where is this "rain bitmap", either as code or as a picture? And then I have to make the overworld animations for the poison mist. Unless it's a scripting thing, in which case I may have to settle for just tinting the screen... DX

Anyway, much thanks again. I could never have gotten this far on my own.
    There's no graphic for the overworld weather. It's all done with a lot of "fill_rect"s (all in PokemonWeather).

Since this is the case, it's hard to see how you would have make a mist weather like this (unless you were fine with big rectangular mist clouds). It's still possible to do, though, if you've got a good imagination for it (and can figure out where to put all the rectangles and arrange them to look more natural).

On the other hand, you could simply use a fog (you know, like the ones people use to show cloud shadows drifting across their maps). A purple haze would do, and there'd be no need for any screen tinting or anything.

Since you've been learning a lot about weather, why not write up this knowledge in the wiki? There's a page for weather just waiting to be written. Weather includes overworld weather, in-battle weather conditions, and fogs.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
    There's no graphic for the overworld weather. It's all done with a lot of "fill_rect"s (all in PokemonWeather).

Since this is the case, it's hard to see how you would have make a mist weather like this (unless you were fine with big rectangular mist clouds). It's still possible to do, though, if you've got a good imagination for it (and can figure out where to put all the rectangles and arrange them to look more natural).

On the other hand, you could simply use a fog (you know, like the ones people use to show cloud shadows drifting across their maps). A purple haze would do, and there'd be no need for any screen tinting or anything.

Since you've been learning a lot about weather, why not write up this knowledge in the wiki? There's a page for weather just waiting to be written. Weather includes overworld weather, in-battle weather conditions, and fogs.

I'd love to, but I've never written a wiki page, and I mostly got this far by trial and error. I wouldn't know how to explain it technically, to be honest. Nor really how to organize it into something that someone else could use... o~O

That said, I've never used fogs before either, and I don't know anywhere to reference to copy/paste (which is a lot of what I do - copy/paste and edit ^^"). I'll go see if I can learn anything, but if you know anything that might help, that would be great. As it is, you've already earned a spot in my credits eventually. :)

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I'd love to, but I've never written a wiki page, and I mostly got this far by trial and error. I wouldn't know how to explain it technically, to be honest. Nor really how to organize it into something that someone else could use... o~O

That said, I've never used fogs before either, and I don't know anywhere to reference to copy/paste (which is a lot of what I do - copy/paste and edit ^^"). I'll go see if I can learn anything, but if you know anything that might help, that would be great. As it is, you've already earned a spot in my credits eventually. :)
    Just copy-paste what I've told you (and what there is about weather in the notes), and use the {{stub}} template for the fog section. You don't need to write the whole thing yourself; just start it, and other people will be more inclined to polish it.

For fogs, make an event that will run once when you step on the map, go to the second tab of event commands and find "Change Map Settings..." (top left). The two options below that do exactly what they say on the tin. The fog is tiled, so you don't need a huge fog picture. Easy.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
    Just copy-paste what I've told you (and what there is about weather in the notes), and use the {{stub}} template for the fog section. You don't need to write the whole thing yourself; just start it, and other people will be more inclined to polish it.

For fogs, make an event that will run once when you step on the map, go to the second tab of event commands and find "Change Map Settings..." (top left). The two options below that do exactly what they say on the tin. The fog is tiled, so you don't need a huge fog picture. Easy.

Thanks for all the help. I've got the fog working at least moderately well, meaning I can map the Wastes anytime I want (when I get the tileset ready). Next goal (after doing this Wiki thing) is to figure out how to make a new tile type for water that poisons you when you surf on it. But since I couldn't get Sunny and Poison weather to be choose-able on the editor, I'm worried I'd have the same problem with the tiles (thus being unable to use it at all).

The notes say almost nothing about weather, by the way (seriously, use "find" on the word weather. Even in advanced topics, the information's not completely correct). To be honest, I couldn't have gotten anywhere with this by reading the notes. So, for the Wiki, I'll have to stick with a (probably unprofessional) rendition of what you told me, as well as (hopefully) a runthrough of where weather effects for battle are, and a quick explanation of how to use fogs. Then later somebody else can sort it into different pages or something, I guess.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Thanks for all the help. I've got the fog working at least moderately well, meaning I can map the Wastes anytime I want (when I get the tileset ready). Next goal (after doing this Wiki thing) is to figure out how to make a new tile type for water that poisons you when you surf on it. But since I couldn't get Sunny and Poison weather to be choose-able on the editor, I'm worried I'd have the same problem with the tiles (thus being unable to use it at all).

The notes say almost nothing about weather, by the way (seriously, use "find" on the word weather. Even in advanced topics, the information's not completely correct). To be honest, I couldn't have gotten anywhere with this by reading the notes. So, for the Wiki, I'll have to stick with a (probably unprofessional) rendition of what you told me, as well as (hopefully) a runthrough of where weather effects for battle are, and a quick explanation of how to use fogs. Then later somebody else can sort it into different pages or something, I guess.
    Weather effects in battle should all be in PokeBattle_ActualScene, in lots of places therein (always called "PBWeather::whatever"). It's quite messy.

To add the overworld weathers "Sunny" and "PoisonMist", go into PokemonMap and search for "Sandstorm". Modify that line as follows:

Code:
    "Weather"=>[7,"eu",["","Rain","Storm","Snow","Sandstorm"[COLOR=SeaGreen],"Sunny","PoisonMist"[/COLOR]]],
    "Sunny" was left out for no reason whatsoever, and "PoisonMist" is what you've added (as overworld weather number 6, which I'm sure is what you've set it as). Now you can set a map's weather in metadata.txt to be Sunny or Poison Mist, just like you already can for Rain or Snow. Note that the names could really be anything (e.g. "sausage" could mean sunny weather), but the names must be consistent between here and metadata.txt.

It was a real arse to find this. It used to be in Compiler (as in my old version, which I'd fixed to add Sunny, so I knew basically what to do about this), but then poccil messed around with everything and relocated this particular section to PokemonMap.

To allow the editor to give you the extra overworld weathers, search PokemonEditor for "Sandstorm" and extend that array as appropriate. Personally, I don't use the editor - I always work with the txt files directly, which is just as easy (for me, anyway) - so it's not high on my list of priorities to explain how to use/fix it. But there's the fix for that anyway.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
    Weather effects in battle should all be in PokeBattle_ActualScene, in lots of places therein (always called "PBWeather::whatever"). It's quite messy.

To add the overworld weathers "Sunny" and "PoisonMist", go into PokemonMap and search for "Sandstorm". Modify that line as follows:

Code:
    "Weather"=>[7,"eu",["","Rain","Storm","Snow","Sandstorm"[COLOR=SeaGreen],"Sunny","PoisonMist"[/COLOR]]],
    "Sunny" was left out for no reason whatsoever, and "PoisonMist" is what you've added (as overworld weather number 6, which I'm sure is what you've set it as). Now you can set a map's weather in metadata.txt to be Sunny or Poison Mist, just like you already can for Rain or Snow. Note that the names could really be anything (e.g. "sausage" could mean sunny weather), but the names must be consistent between here and metadata.txt.

It was a real arse to find this. It used to be in Compiler (as in my old version, which I'd fixed to add Sunny, so I knew basically what to do about this), but then poccil messed around with everything and relocated this particular section to PokemonMap.

To allow the editor to give you the extra overworld weathers, search PokemonEditor for "Sandstorm" and extend that array as appropriate. Personally, I don't use the editor - I always work with the txt files directly, which is just as easy (for me, anyway) - so it's not high on my list of priorities to explain how to use/fix it. But there's the fix for that anyway.

PokeBattle_ActualScene - I'm assuming that's for the visual side of weather in battle, right? Because I programmed my weather to work in battle (without any visual animation, but it works) mostly by modifying PokeBattle_Battle.

Of course, in my version of Essentials, we have this:
    Spoiler:

in Compiler under the module PokemonMetadata, and this:
    Spoiler:

under PokemonEditor. But it doesn't work in the editor - it only shows the four options through Sandstorm. You're right that it's not a big deal that the Editor doesn't work (though it's a bit inconvenient). But I guess this means I have an older version of Essentials than what's available.

Upgrading worries me, though, after all the effort I put into decaps, the weather, some item effects, etc.

Also, I think my weather article might end up a little basic, in order not to overstress about it and/or implode my head. :/

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    To change the standalone editor, you have to update EditorScripts.rxdata.
    Or, you can run the editor in-game from the Debug menu to make it use the standard scripts ;)

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
    To change the standalone editor, you have to update EditorScripts.rxdata.
    Or, you can run the editor in-game from the Debug menu to make it use the standard scripts ;)

*facepalm* Ahaha, I should have known my measly edits did not have the power to effect something that was already done. Ugh, blond moment...

Thanks, I really need to get a hold of these blond moments (I'm not even blond, seriously, and I've never been blond...). First the commas, and now this... XD

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
    Years
    Hello again! o-o I'm getting two troublesome errors for some random things.
    First off, whenever I try to use the sprite repositioning function in the editor, I get this error:
    Spoiler:

I've looked at both Utilites and and the sprite line 22, and they both look very different and at the same time copies. I figured it may be the form thing, so I removed that little part, but now, I got this instead:
    Spoiler:

It's confusing me. x_X

The other problem is when I go to pick up an item ball containing a PokéMon, I get this error after it asks me whether or not I want to nickname it, to which I say no. o.o
    Spoiler:

Both of these functions are vital on top of that. x_X if it were something like the battle factory or bug catching contest, I could wait, but repositioning sprites is a tedious affair that would be so much quicker with the editor, and i figure if the receiving pokemon error won't work because of something like that, it'll do the same when selecting a starter. x.x

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
    Okay, so I got a question for you genius scripters out there. I've been trying to use a very simple cheat module, via the enter actor name thing using actor number 2 in the database, but if you put in a name, the game crashes. :/

I suppose Essentials is so highly modded that the game can't even work with this database, yet I feel like many people will gripe if they can't cheat their way to excellence. I wasn't planning on doing that much of an outrageous cheat(s), but I still would like to utilize the function. Anyway of doing it?

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
    Years
    There's a simple cheat system already made for RMXP. You would have to modify it to work with essentials, but you'd probably have better luck compared to trying to work with a dysfunctional database.
    If you use it, give credit to it's creator. o.o
    Spoiler:

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    The $Trainer.party.compact! command is fairly useful for the daycare thing, however I need to know if there is something similar for arrays. I have a fully functional expanded daycare, as long as you only take the pokemon back in last to first order. If you take them back in first to last order, it leaves "gaps," the same as if you select ones in the middle.

@SpawnHyuuga: The cheat script that Colbex posted looks interesting, but you could probably make one more "Pokemon-like" by using pbEnterText. You may want to write a short script that is something along the lines of:
    Code:
    def pbCheatCodes
      code=pbEnterText("Enter a Code",0,7)
      if code=="code1"
       Do something here
      elsif code=="code2"
       Do something else here
      else
       Kernel.pbMessage("Invalid code.")
      end
    end
    It's probably not the best example in the world, but it should get you on the right track. Note: the 0,7 is the minimum length and the max length (I think).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2010
    I can't figure out what exactly i did wrong here anyone give me a hand please?

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me the script necessary to change the name entry screen to one like in pokemon raptor, i.e. it is entered by typing on the keyboard. Also, if it isn't too much trouble, could anyone tell me where/how to implement it? I am still fairly new to scriipiting and i don't want to break anything.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
    I can't figure out what exactly i did wrong here anyone give me a hand please?

Spoiler:
    By the looks of that error code you didn't compile the game in the editor.
    So just pop into the editor and compile text to see if that works.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    The $Trainer.party.compact! command is fairly useful for the daycare thing, however I need to know if there is something similar for arrays. I have a fully functional expanded daycare, as long as you only take the pokemon back in last to first order. If you take them back in first to last order, it leaves "gaps," the same as if you select ones in the middle.

compact is an array method; however, it only removes nil elements. In the daycare, an empty space is represented by an empty array; these aren't removed by compact.

You could try using the sort! method on it instead, to move all the empty elements to the back. For example:
    Code:
    def pbCompareDaycare(a,b)
     if (a.empty? && !b.empty?)
      return 1
     elsif (!a.empty? && b.empty?)
      return -1
     else
      return 0
     end
    end

array.sort!{|a, b|
     pbCompareDaycare(a,b)
    }
    I haven't tested this, but it should work. Basically, the sort method normally use the <=> operator, which returns 1 if a is greater than b, -1 if a is smaller than b, and 0 if they are the same. It uses the results of comparing elements to put them in order. You can implement a custom comparison method, though; in this case, I check whether either element is an empty array, and return -1 and 1 accordingly. If they're both empty, or both contain a Pokémon, it returns 0.
    Watch out, as this changes the order the Pokémon are stored in. There's probably a way to avoid this with some modifications, though.

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
    Kitsune to the rescue again. Without RGSS understanding, I think I understand enough of this short script and can probably extend it without too much trouble. Therefore I shall try to use it.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2010
    By the looks of that error code you didn't compile the game in the editor.
    So just pop into the editor and compile text to see if that works.

I tired but that's where i get the error at.
    Sorry let me try to clarify it a bit more I can start the game without a problem what so ever it's the editor that gives me the error. This error starting happening whenever i added some new pokemon into the pokedex. So i went back and removed the pokemon data i just added as a 1st thing to cross my mind... still got the same error. I haven't changed anything else as of right now. So trying to figure out how come I got the error? When it was working just fine before hand.

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2013
    Is there any way to divide the pokedex into different regions?
    Or i just want to make a pokedex for my own region..
    for example
    1st pokedex will only comprise pokemon that I made.. 1-100 new pokemons
    2nd pokedex will contrain all of them including original ones and my new ones 1-594(?)

something like that...

plz help me if u could

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back