• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxaspwner

Pokemon Orange Isles Leader
Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2016
    How do you set background music for towns? I try to do it as an autorun but it ends up freezing the game. o.o'

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    How do you set background music for towns? I try to do it as an autorun but it ends up freezing the game. o.o'
    Hopefully this isn't what you mean but...right click on the map you want to set the bgm for in the map directory to the left of the screen, and choose map properties. Then check the Auto-Change BGM box and select the song you want.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Okay, I need some help here.

I've been trying to make a battle with a wild Pokemon that you can't catch. For example, you would throw a pokeball at it, and it would either A: Miss the Pokemon every time, or B: Tell you you can't capture it. I want this to be controlled by game switch 28, or maybe even by species.

Basically, the Pokemon I want you to be able to fight but not capture are:
    Acreus
    Giratina
    Dialga
    Palkia
    Shaymin
    Groudon
    Kyogre
    Raquaza
    All the Regis

With such a big list, I think using a switch would be easier, but if seems like no matter what I do, it breaks the entire sequence for catching Pokemon regardless.

That's a weird way of doing it unless you want to change it through an event, but use 'Parallel process'.

Last edited:

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
  • Oookay. So a few of my friends are playing my game, and keep running into like, mini bugs and stuff I can fix pretty easily. The thing is, it's pretty inconvenient for them to keep dling the whole thing and start afresh every time I fix something. Is there a way to like, patch the games? So they can just dl a file or two and keep going with their old save files, I mean.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    If you haven't encrypted the game data, you can just send them the file(s) you changed. For example, if you edited something on the map with ID 011, you can get them to replace their Data/Map011.rxdata with the updated one.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
  • ........way to make me regret encrypting it! Haha oh well, what's done is done, I guess XD so uhhh is there a way to do it if it's encrypted?

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • ........way to make me regret encrypting it! Haha oh well, what's done is done, I guess XD so uhhh is there a way to do it if it's encrypted?

The whole point of encrypting the file is to prevent its modification or extraction. You'll have to send the entire encrypted game file again. : /

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2013
    I had come across that, but I'm not sure how to use it for what I'm doing. The basic idea is this:
    Code:
    species=enemy pokemon's species
    if $Trainer.owned[species]
      display the graphic
    end
    Using just @battler is the player's pokemon, but something like (@battler.index & 1) == 1.species is not proper syntax. If I do a check like this:
    Code:
    if (@battler.index & 1) == 1
      [email protected]
      etc.
    end
    It never returns true. And, it would still have the same problem of returning the player's pokemon.

well
    i tried around for a while and this works great:
    Code:
    if @battler.index==1
        print PBSpecies.getName(@battler.species)
        if $Trainer.owned[@battler.species]
        print "yep"
        else
          print "nope"
          end
       end
    prints name, and then prints if you own the pokemon or not... you can just replace the print things with whatever code you heart desires... and of course take out the printing of the name... it's just good for checking =)

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
  • Hey... could someone help?
    This is weird, and I actually like it, but it's not the official way to do it...
    The problem is:
    When I switch out pokémon, and when the other pokémon is sent out, nothing happens, I mean, the opponent's pokémon should attack, but it doesn't, so I could switch pokémon unlimited times and the opponent doesn't do anything.
    I like this... but it's not pokémon-like, so, how can I fix this?

Years
  • Hello people i really need help i just wanted to get my head around this Pokemon starter kit and figure what works what and how to use can anyone teach me I really a noob at this so if someone can teach me how to use the pokemon starter kit that will be really great thanks. Message me if you would like to teach me

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    well
    Code:
    if @battler.index==1
        print "yep"
        else
          print "nope"
          end
       end
    Lol, I see what it was now. I was mixing up @battler and @battle, and then it turns out that using the change species command does not add the pokemon to your pokedex. So even when I had it right, nothing was happening since you actually have to catch them the old fashioned way for it to trigger. Thanks, I can get back to work on it now.

One other thing. I didn't expect it to be a problem, but the image actually gets covered up by the enemy databox. It's set up the same way as the status graphic, however it does not appear on top of the databox like statuses do.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2013
    Lol, I see what it was now. I was mixing up @battler and @battle, and then it turns out that using the change species command does not add the pokemon to your pokedex. So even when I had it right, nothing was happening since you actually have to catch them the old fashioned way for it to trigger. Thanks, I can get back to work on it now.

One other thing. I didn't expect it to be a problem, but the image actually gets covered up by the enemy databox. It's set up the same way as the status graphic, however it does not appear on top of the databox like statuses do.

Well, I'm pretty interested in what you will come up with, because I'd like to implement something like that in my game too,
    and I didn't really deal with the battle scripts enough yet to do it myself...
    So you'd save me quite some work here =)
    I guess you will post it here when you're done!?
    Maybe you can give me what you already have, so I have something to start with and I can try it myself...

Sichlor

Last edited:

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Well, I'm pretty interested in what you will come up with, because I'd like to implement something like that in my game too,
    and I didn't really deal with the battle scripts enough yet to do it myself...
    So you'd save me quite some work here =)
    I guess you will post it here when you're done!?
    Maybe you can give me what you already have, so I have something to start with and I can try it myself...

Sichlor
    Once I get it working right, I'll make a tutorial for it and put a link to it in my signature or something.

Okay, I need some help here.

I've been trying to make a battle with a wild Pokemon that you can't catch. For example, you would throw a pokeball at it, and it would either A: Miss the Pokemon every time, or B: Tell you you can't capture it. I want this to be controlled by game switch 28, or maybe even by species.

With such a big list, I think using a switch would be easier, but if seems like no matter what I do, it breaks the entire sequence for catching Pokemon regardless.
    All right, I finally got around to your question. In PokeBattle_Battle on line 144, you should see
    if @opponent && (!pbIsSnagBall?(ball) || !battler.isShadow?)
    Because of the little message you get in battle from this, you're probably better off making something that looks just like it right below with different parameters, like this (whole code included for completeness, new part in blue):
    Code:
      if @opponent && (!pbIsSnagBall?(ball) || !battler.isShadow?)
        @scene.pbThrowAndDeflect(ball,1)
        pbDisplay(_INTL("The Trainer blocked the Ball!\nDon't be a thief!"))
    [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]  elsif @opponent && $game_switches[20]
        @scene.pbThrowAndDeflect(ball,1)[/COLOR]
      else
        pokemon=battler.pokemon
        species=pokemon.species
        if !rareness
         dexdata=pbOpenDexData
         pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,species,16)
         rareness=dexdata.fgetb # Get rareness from dexdata file
         dexdata.close
        end
    That should work, but I haven't actually tested it so let me know if it doesn't. Also, you could add a little message like the one when trying to steal a trainer's pokemon. It would be like this (I added the part in green just in case):
    Code:
    [COLOR=Lime]pokemon=battler.pokemon
    species=pokemon.species[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} deflected the ball!",species)[/COLOR]
    Just put that right below the part in blue above.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2017
    Is there a way to have a bigger map? Like how in HGSS, the Johto/Kanto map looks like one big map and you can scroll between the maps? I ask because the region in my game is pretty big and the map's too big for the map thing included with the starter kit to deal with the map without making it too narrow...

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    well
    Code:
    if @battler.index==1
        print "yep"
        else
          print "nope"
          end
       end
    prints name, and then prints if you own the pokemon or not... you can just replace the print things with whatever code you heart desires... and of course take out the printing of the name... it's just good for checking =)
    I would suggest a slight modification, so that both Pokémon in a double battle are checked. I would also make sure it displays only during wild battles, because there's no point during trainer battles because you can't capture them anyway.

Behold, the code I'm using in my game (orange text is stuff you can modify):
    Code:
      if $game_switches[[COLOR=DarkOrange]27[/COLOR]] && (@battler.index==1 || @battler.index==3) && $Trainer.owned[@battler.species]
       imagepos=[["Graphics/Pictures/[COLOR=DarkOrange]databoxcaught.png[/COLOR]",@spritebaseX+[COLOR=DarkOrange]16[/COLOR],@spritebaseY+[COLOR=DarkOrange]34[/COLOR],0,0,-1,-1]]
       pbDrawImagePositions(self.bitmap,imagepos)
      end
    This goes in the def refresh in class PokemonDataBox. The game switch is for checking whether it's a wild battle or not - true means wild battle, false means trainer battle. The associated code is a single line turning the switch on/off at the start of pbStartBattleCore in PokeBattle_Battle:
    Code:
    $game_switches[[COLOR=DarkOrange]27[/COLOR]]=(!@opponent)
    It's true only if there's no opponent (i.e. no enemy trainer: a wild battle). Unfortunately I can't find a better way of checking whether it's a wild/trainer battle than using a switch, but it's no hassle.

Oh, and my version of Essentials is a little older, hence the old-style file name for the caught icon. You may want to modify that to suit.

What I've done will place the graphic in the data box, so it won't be covered by it.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • All right, I finally got around to your question.

First off, I just want to point out the syntax error in your code - pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} deflected the ball!",species) - you missed one ")". Not a hard fix, just though I'd mention.

Now there's some good news and bad news. The good new is, Pokeballs ingeneral actually work now. You can throw them and catch pokemon. The bad news is, it completely overlooks the switch, and tries to catch wild Pokemon anyway.

I tried a couple of random things, including swapping the $ with @ or nothing at all, and got the same outcome: It caught the Pokemon anyway. If I remove the "@opponent && ", then it completely re-breaks the script.

Edit: And yes, I tried adding " == true" after "game_switches[28]", that didn't do anything either.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    First off, I just want to point out the syntax error in your code - pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} deflected the ball!",species) - you missed one ")". Not a hard fix, just though I'd mention.

Now there's some good news and bad news. The good new is, Pokeballs ingeneral actually work now. You can throw them and catch pokemon. The bad news is, it completely overlooks the switch, and tries to catch wild Pokemon anyway.

I tried a couple of random things, including swapping the $ with @ or nothing at all, and got the same outcome: It caught the Pokemon anyway. If I remove the "@opponent && ", then it completely re-breaks the script.

Edit: And yes, I tried adding " == true" after "game_switches[28]", that didn't do anything either.
    Lol, I make little syntax errors like that all the time. Makes programming more difficult than it has to be. Anyways, I tried removing the @opponent && and it didn't catch the pokemon. That should have fixed it. When you said re-breaks, what exactly does it do? When I made that little change, it ignores the ball throw animation (just like in trainer battles in the kit), and the wild pokemon keeps fighting.

@Maruno: Thanks much. That will save me some time to get back to working on stuff. Also, do you mind if I make a tutorial of it (you'll be given the credit)? A few pages from now people will probably start asking about it again because they won't want to look through the older pages, so then I could just put the link to it in my signature.

@thepsynergist: Maruno already got it, so you should use his. If I ever feel like it I may change it from having to use a switch, but I don't see any need for it right now so I'll leave it as is (and it might take a while to change it anyways).

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back