• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
Years
  • That's not a normal error. If you tell us what scripts you've tried to edit than maybe we could help you out more.

Only thing I have edited it resizing my window to be slightly larger. I am also using the most recent release with my scripts from the first release (that might be the cause)

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    RMXP Battle system

Im working on a new game and i need some help with the battle system. Im using pokemon essentials as a base but i created some new trainers. They notice me and walk up and say an opening line but i cant figure out how to get the battle going. I created new trainers and gave them pokemon but when they come up to me and talk thats it, How do i script in a battle? Its the only thing holding me back from finishing my game. I have the map, the towns and cities, gyms, gym leaders champion league pretty much everything in the game is finished but the battles. Any help would be appreciated and if it works i will credit the people who help me.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
  • Im working on a new game and i need some help with the battle system. Im using pokemon essentials as a base but i created some new trainers. They notice me and walk up and say an opening line but i cant figure out how to get the battle going. I created new trainers and gave them pokemon but when they come up to me and talk thats it, How do i script in a battle? Its the only thing holding me back from finishing my game. I have the map, the towns and cities, gyms, gym leaders champion league pretty much everything in the game is finished but the battles. Any help would be appreciated and if it works i will credit the people who help me.

Did you look in the test maps, as they show pretty much everything you are asking in the events?

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    Yea i looked in the test maps and copied the script to some new trainers but where it says "script - pbTrainerinfo" I dont know how to change that according to the different trainers i use, the one in the test map is Team magma male but i want to change it to match the type of trainer im using.

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
    Years
  • Yea i looked in the test maps and copied the script to some new trainers but where it says "script - pbTrainerinfo" I dont know how to change that according to the different trainers i use, the one in the test map is Team magma male but i want to change it to match the type of trainer im using.

Copy one of the trainer events from essentials. Double click it change the character graphic to the desired character graphic and then edit the trainer intro and what not to be your desired trainer. That should do it I will try to add pics later... Not feeling to good atm and idk why...

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Moved into the essentials thread where it belongs.
    I approve of this kind of modding. Much better than just locking the threads.

Yea i looked in the test maps and copied the script to some new trainers but where it says "script - pbTrainerinfo" I dont know how to change that according to the different trainers i use, the one in the test map is Team magma male but i want to change it to match the type of trainer im using.
    Check the wiki. Also, a little further down that article is a description of the actual code (not the comments), which can also help you understand what's going on.

Years
  • I need a little help with this:
    Code:
    Exception: RuntimeError

Message: Script error within event 9, map 79 (Battle Palace):

Exception: NoMethodError

Message: Section117:820:in `hasValidTeam?'undefined method `pbEachCombination' for #<PokemonRuleSet:0x8d4bb98>

***Full script:

!pbHasEligible?(3,100)

Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'

PokemonOrgBattle:37:in `pbHasEligible?'

(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:785:in `eval'

Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:785:in `command_111'

Interpreter:318:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:191:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:196:in `update'

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:785:in `command_111'

Interpreter:318:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:191:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:196:in `update'

Scene_Map:96:in `update'

Scene_Map:94:in `loop'

Scene_Map:107:in `update'

Scene_Map:63:in `main'

Canderis

Mr. Wejo
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2018
    As the last time I asked, my question was ignored, how would I go about creating a "quest journal" chip for the pokegear? What i want is a menu where you can read quests you have accepted, nothing fancy. A two column menu, one side that you can go up and down, and one side you can scroll through with side to side that shows info on the open quest?

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • I need a little help with this:

Could you post a screenshot of the event-in-question? Would help us understand what you're trying to do and where you're going wrong.

As the last time I asked, my question was ignored, how would I go about creating a "quest journal" chip for the pokegear? What i want is a menu where you can read quests you have accepted, nothing fancy. A two column menu, one side that you can go up and down, and one side you can scroll through with side to side that shows info on the open quest?

You'd "go about" creating it just as you would any other scene in Essentials. What you're asking isn't exactly difficult; look at how the Pokegear scene itself is structured (or any other basic scene, like the Pokedex for example) and make your own based on that.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • As the last time I asked, my question was ignored, how would I go about creating a "quest journal" chip for the pokegear? What i want is a menu where you can read quests you have accepted, nothing fancy. A two column menu, one side that you can go up and down, and one side you can scroll through with side to side that shows info on the open quest?

There is one already implemented in my game. But, I won't tell you how to do it, it's fairly simple.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks guys i think i have it now :) But now I have another problem, when i go to exit the players house in the game.exe it says

"Script'PokemonUtilities'line289: NoMethodError occurred
    undefined method `+' for nil:NilClass"

Does anyone know what this means?

Last edited:

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • Thanks guys i think i have it now :) But now I have another problem, when i go to exit the players house in the game.exe it says

"Script'PokemonUtilities'line289: NoMethodError occurred
    undefined method `+' for nil:NilClass"

Does anyone know what this means?

http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Error_messages

The Wiki is a wonderful resource and I suggest you use it more ;). Your error message is the very first one on that page.

Canderis

Mr. Wejo
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2018
    I have absolutely no idea where I'd even look to start adding one. Where would I look?

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • I have absolutely no idea where I'd even look to start adding one. Where would I look?

You'd have to code a new scene in RGSS. If you know RGSS it's not too complicated, but if you don't... no one here is going to write it for you/teach you RGSS from scratch. It's assumed that you have at least a basic knowledge of RGSS before using the Starter Kit, that's why it's called a Starter Kit and not a Complete Kit.

I already told you where to look; look at how the scenes for Pokgear/Radio/Pokedex/etc. are created, and try to create something basic from that. Understand the basics like initialising menu indexes/selections, graphics, windows - that kind of thing. It's a lot simpler than it looks, and a few hours of messing around - even with no prior experience - can be very fruitful indeed.

Have you considered that, you know, perhaps you don't have the skills to implement such a system? This is a thought that doesn't cross the minds of a lot of people who come into this thread, lol.

Canderis

Mr. Wejo
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2018
    Have you considered that, you know, perhaps you don't have the skills to implement such a system? This is a thought that doesn't cross the minds of a lot of people who come into this thread, lol.

I already know I don't have the skills. Thats why i am here, to develop the skills.

I managed to add another icon to the pokedex and make it selectable. Do you know any tutorials on how to make a basic menu? Or some good rmxp scripting tutorials that I can read to learn how to do this kind of stuff?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I already know I don't have the skills. Thats why i am here, to develop the skills.

I managed to add another icon to the pokedex and make it selectable. Do you know any tutorials on how to make a basic menu? Or some good rmxp scripting tutorials that I can read to learn how to do this kind of stuff?
    General RMXP tutorials probably won't help, since the starter kit deviates significantly from the standard conventions implemented in RMXP. Your best bet is to examine scenes and menus that exist in the starter kit. The trainer card is pretty straightforward, so that'd be a good place to start in my opinion. When you come across method names or variables you are unfamiliar with, do an all section search to find where it originates so you can get a better idea of how it functions. It takes time to get used to though.

Years
  • Could you post a screenshot of the event-in-question? Would help us understand what you're trying to do and where you're going wrong.

It happens when I try to use the event of the battle tower, used to work before, but now it doesn't.

happens exactly when I select "No" when it asks if I would like to generate an team for this challenge, also happens if I generate one.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    My RGSS Editor and Game stopped working :( why would this happen when im almost finished lol. does anyone know how to fix it?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back