• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2013
    I have the same problem, I want to have trainers throughout the game that after you beat them they just say good battle or such, now when i win and press on them again they do the same thing over and over.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
  • did you by any chance make an blank even page that is only active if there is a switch on?
    And by the way wrong place to post this question.

Vau

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2013
    Hello. :-)

I have a little problem with the message system:
    'Is it possible to set the "beep" sound between two messages to 0 Volume?'
    But not permanent, only for one dialogue.

Vau

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I have the same problem, I want to have trainers throughout the game that after you beat them they just say good battle or such, now when i win and press on them again they do the same thing over and over.
    When the player wins the battle, you should set the trainer's event's Self Switch A to ON. Then have a page in that event that depends on it being ON, and have whatever random text you want in there.

Using comments to set up trainers will do this automatically. Just look at some existing examples of trainers to see what the event should look like, and build on that.

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2013
    When the player wins the battle, you should set the trainer's event's Self Switch A to ON. Then have a page in that event that depends on it being ON, and have whatever random text you want in there.

Using comments to set up trainers will do this automatically. Just look at some existing examples of trainers to see what the event should look like, and build on that.

I did this, but still after the conversation is done, the battle starts over again after action buttoning the trainer.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2013
    I did this, but still after the conversation is done, the battle starts over again after action buttoning the trainer.

You didn't set it up properly then.

It sounds like you forgot to set self switch "A" to ON for the conditional branch returning true and/or you didn't set up the second page properly (you have to put "Self Switch "A" = ON" as a condition).
    Just check the example trainers... its all there.

If you still don't get it to work: since the example trainers work, just copy one of them and edit the event to fit your needs.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Screenshots also help, so we can see what you're doing. Show us each of the trainer event's pages.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2013
    Screenshots also help, so we can see what you're doing. Show us each of the trainer event's pages.

Yeah, I thought of that, but doesn't he need like 15 posts to to be able to post screenies/links? - so unless he spams, he'll have to wait a little....

(by the way maruno, do you by any chance have a clue regarding the lag-problem i described a few posts above? i guess if anyone knows but poccil, it might be you =D)

Greetings,
    Sichlor

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2019
    Has anybody figured out how to get the triad minigame working in the current version? It doesn't seem to be adding the cards when you buy them. I don't know if there are any other problems with it because i can't play it without having 5 cards. So far I haven't gotten an error with it, just the game saying that I don't have any cards when I go to battle.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Yeah, I thought of that, but doesn't he need like 15 posts to to be able to post screenies/links? - so unless he spams, he'll have to wait a little....

(by the way maruno, do you by any chance have a clue regarding the lag-problem i described a few posts above? i guess if anyone knows but poccil, it might be you =D)

Greetings,
    Sichlor
    I'm going to make this clear and simple: There is a good chance the lag just isn't fixable. The question is how old is your computer, what model is it? That's the only way anyone can seriously help you with lag. If your computer is garbage, your computer is garbage and nothing can help it. My computer is pretty low end, and I still have no trouble running Essentials.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2013
    I'm going to make this clear and simple: There is a good chance the lag just isn't fixable. The question is how old is your computer, what model is it? That's the only way anyone can seriously help you with lag. If your computer is garbage, your computer is garbage and nothing can help it. My computer is pretty low end, and I still have no trouble running Essentials.

I wouldn't call it garbage.. its a AMD Athlon 3500+ single core processor with about 2.1 GHz... but it seems you all got faster ones :)
    Well, the lag occurs in constant intervals.. its exactly every 5 steps(I'm not sure how many frames that is but its definitely a process that runs every x frames).
    The lag lasts for like half a second so the game doesn't run smoothly...

So far the only way of fixing it is to go back to an older version. I don't think Poccil has fixed it yet.
    So do you actually have this problem, too?
    Do you know which version works?
    I've tested older versions but i already had them renamed so i don't know HOW old they were... i'm going to search for the oldest version available and check there...

I'm pretty sure it is some kind of update function that could possibly be run only when it's needed...

EDIT: Ok, it turns out the April 3rd 2010 Version does work a LOT better...
    That means its something that was changed from there to the May 7th Version...

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Has anyone manage to get the bridges working? I can pass for up, but when I try to pass under bridge my characters end surf and got freezie under bridge!

Bridges are fiddly things, and well deserve their own page in the wiki (it's pending creation by anyone who wants to, hint hint).

To solve your problem, I think you need to go into PokemonHiddenMoves, and find the below procedure. Then add in the red part.

Code:
    Events.onAction+=proc{|sender,e|
     terrain=Kernel.pbFacingTerrainTag
     if pbIsWaterTag?(terrain) && 
         !$PokemonGlobal.surfing && 
         !pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataBicycleAlways) [COLOR=Red]&&[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Red] !$PokemonMap.bridge[/COLOR]
      Kernel.pbSurf
      return
     end
    }
    That should prevent interactions with the water (i.e. to start surfing) while on a bridge. This won't stop the player choosing to use Surf from the party screen, though (although who does that?) - you'll need to edit the CanUseMove hidden move handler for Surf (just above the code quoted above) to add in a "return false if $PokemonMap.bridge" bit (without a message).
    I am trying to use $game_map.passable?($game_player.x,$game_player.y,$game_player.direction) and put the bridge up tile impassable, but I think that you solution is the best one.

I thinks that I also had the same problem and fix in a very unusual way. I remove all the green comment in events and place 3 pages instead of just 2, but put the middle page blank. I thinks that a Trainer(x) even start on page one and jumps to page two after battle, if you make more pages you cancel this thing.

Hello. :-)

I have a little problem with the message system:
    'Is it possible to set the "beep" sound between two messages to 0 Volume?'
    But not permanent, only for one dialogue.

Vau
    In SpriteWindow change line (aound 850) "pbSEPlay($data_system.decision_se)" to "pbSEPlay($data_system.decision_se) if !$game_switches[97]". If you do it, the SE won't play if the switch 97 is ON (you can change the switch number).

EDIT: Ok, it turns out the April 3rd 2010 Version does work a LOT better...
    That means its something that was changed from there to the May 7th Version...
    I do the same thing

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • I wouldn't call it garbage.. its a AMD Athlon 3500+ single core processor with about 2.1 GHz... but it seems you all got faster ones :)
    Well, the lag occurs in constant intervals.. its exactly every 5 steps(I'm not sure how many frames that is but its definitely a process that runs every x frames).
    There you go. The difference in our processor is pretty big:
    Intel Pentium E5400, 2.7GHz with 2 cores.

With that said, it's odd that from what you say, the lag only occurs every 5 steps or so. Do me a favor, start your game, press F2 so it'll show you your FPS, and walk around for a bit, tell me what FPS you get normally. Pokemon Essentials runs at 40fps by default.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2013
    There you go. The difference in our processor is pretty big:
    Intel Pentium E5400, 2.7GHz with 2 cores.

With that said, it's odd that from what you say, the lag only occurs every 5 steps or so. Do me a favor, start your game, press F2 so it'll show you your FPS, and walk around for a bit, tell me what FPS you get normally. Pokemon Essentials runs at 40fps by default.

Between 45 and 60... and it doesn't even go down during the lags...
    i tried to record it, but the frame rate does go down when i'm screen capturing...
    well, at least you can somewhat see that its in constant intervals:
    https://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2wq5yl2&s=7
    (due to the capturing its not perfect, but you get the idea)

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I see this error here several times, but the only fix yet is to use a older version...
    Between 45 and 60... and it doesn't even go down during the lags...
    i tried to record it, but the frame rate does go down when i'm screen capturing...
    well, at least you can somewhat see that its in constant intervals:
    https://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2wq5yl2&s=7
    (due to the capturing its not perfect, but you get the idea)
    How you get 45 or 60 if the max is 40? But you edited the max? Tell your max.
    Anyway, in my computer when I have used the 2010 May version the lag is a little more fast but occurs much more often.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2013
    I see this error here several times, but the only fix yet is to use a older version...
    How you get 45 or 60 if the max is 40? But you edited the max? Tell your max.
    Anyway, in my computer when I have used the 2010 May version the lag is a little more fast but occurs much more often.

Actually, I did set it to 75 some time ago and forgot about it... oO :)
    When i put it back to 40 its usually around 33-39 but occasionally drops to about 27...
    Yeah so i guess that does mean my processor is a little slow after all,
    but it still doesn't explain whats causing the constant lag
    i guess i have to live with it, get a better computer or somehow find the line(s) by luck...
    thanks anyway guys....

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Actually, I did set it to 75 some time ago and forgot about it... oO :)
    When i put it back to 40 its usually around 33-39 but occasionally drops to about 27...
    Yeah so i guess that does mean my processor is a little slow after all,
    but it still doesn't explain whats causing the constant lag
    i guess i have to live with it, get a better computer or somehow find the line(s) by luck...
    thanks anyway guys....
    It's strange that it occurs exactly every so many steps, although it may not necessarily be every X steps that it happens - it might be every X frames instead.

The only things I can think of that might be causing it are the poison checks (every 4 steps), and something to do with the BGM. It may also be due to the day/night system.

Some things to check are: does the lag occur even while you're standing still? Looking at some constantly animated thing (e.g. the fountain in Celadon) would help. Is it always the same number of steps/time, or does it vary?

Also, find a way to compare the scripts to see what's changed, and then see if there's anything that looks like it is called frequently and would take a while to do.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2013
    It's strange that it occurs exactly every so many steps, although it may not necessarily be every X steps that it happens - it might be every X frames instead.

The only things I can think of that might be causing it are the poison checks (every 4 steps), and something to do with the BGM. It may also be due to the day/night system.

Some things to check are: does the lag occur even while you're standing still? Looking at some constantly animated thing (e.g. the fountain in Celadon) would help. Is it always the same number of steps/time, or does it vary?

Also, find a way to compare the scripts to see what's changed, and then see if there's anything that looks like it is called frequently and would take a while to do.

Its definitely something that occurs every x frames, yes.
    (It takes more steps if you run, the fountain lags even if you are standing, etc...)
    So i guess that eliminates the poison check (too bad, would probably have been easier :))
    [EDIT: and as i did set ENABLESHADING to false the day/night system isnt causing it either, right?]
    Leaves us at the bgm thing you mentioned or trying to look at script differences...
    As for the first one: what exactly do you mean? which script/method should i look at or what should i be looking for?
    And for the second: there are like a hundred scripts... can you eliminate some of them or point out some i should look at, so i don't have to
    check ALL of them for changes?

I will start looking anyways,
    but that would save me quite some time :)
    thanks!

Greetings,
    Sichlor

Last edited:

har

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2019
    I have two question to pose for everyone today.

1. Is there any reason why I cannot get event 1 (which is a person) to walk across event 2 (which is a switch when you cross it). It appears that events cannot cross other events, is there a way to get around this?

2. I need to know a solid method for talking to a trainer, fighting, having them make a quick statement after the battle screen, run off, and disappear or if it makes it that much easier we can skip the run off statement and just do a flash screen and make the trainer disappear.

I worked for about 3 or 4 hours trying to perfect my first few beginning areas yesterday and I can get around some stuff such as events crossing events but the one about the trainers has me stumped. Any help is appreciated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back