• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
  • Okay. I am not a noob to making games, just throwing that out there. I want to make a serious game about triple triad, but it's not working >.< I downloaded the pokemon essentials, i had used it before and made pokemon gmaes, but i wanted to make a game 100% about triple triad. Getting badges by beating champion duelists, going to the card shop, buying booster packs, but i seem to have a few problems.
    1. After the player buys cards, it doesn't give them to him.
    I tried copying the original event, putting the player in the starting pokecenter after the beginning with oak, i tried redownloading and such. They buy the cards (they pick what they want, and give the money) but don't get any. I tried hitting the sale button, but it says i have no cards. I bought five and tried to play, but it says i didn't have neough. So i bough more. Still didn't have enough. So i came to the problem that i just wasn't being given the cards i bought. I tried new saves, and multiple things.

2. I want a way to hide the pokemon option (looking at party ect) but i can deal with this one.

3. Buying cards of pokemon you don't have. Right now i am just giving the player pokemon they could use , like giving 25 pokemon for the shop to carry, they have to battle for the rest. Ect.

If you have a solution to any of these, please help me.

Wait- what!? starter kit has Triple Triad minigame? The one from FF8?
    Respect +100 to whoever programmed that in.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    Thank you. That will help so much. I should be able to work it out. Thank you very much.

Hey, I'm having the same issue. I did notice that it worked perfect in the original essentials demo, and the only scripting I've changed has been the different eggs for different groups. I also have made sure that the editor is set to outdoor instead of indoor when I am outside. Any tips? Also, Dannyboy, have you changed any scripts? We may have done the same thing wrong.

I don't think so, I've only ever edited the regional map script and added my own apricorn case script.

Also, does anybody know why the regional Pokédex number error appears, even though I've already deleted the line of script I need to. It only ever appears when I try to use the editor, not the game.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Wait- what!? starter kit has Triple Triad minigame? The one from FF8?

Yes it has it, but there is a small error, it doesn't let the player buy cards, it is really easy to fix, it's just 2 or 3 characters missing in the script, I can't remember where it is, try looking at the script, but that is the only error of it, once you fix that, you will be good to go.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Wait- what!? starter kit has Triple Triad minigame? The one from FF8?

Well then, thank Poccil, because it's part of the generic Starter Kit, and it's been known about for forever.

Yes it has it, but there is a small error, it doesn't let the player buy cards, it is really easy to fix, it's just 2 or 3 characters missing in the script, I can't remember where it is, try looking at the script, but that is the only error of it, once you fix that, you will be good to go.

Somebody already made a fix in either the Tutorials or resources section. Go hit the search button before you ask.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Thanks Icegod. Now I get an error saying:

NoMethodError occurred.
    Undefined method 'x=' for nil:NilClass

Here is the script again:

@button1=Sprite.new@button1.x = 380 # to the value of the displayed graphic's verticle appearance
    @button1.y = 20 # to the value of the displayed graphic's horizontal appearance
    @button1.z = 100 # This sets the priority of the button over other graphics
    @button1.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("Button1") # defines the graphic
    if Mouse.mouse_in_area?(380,20,50,50)
    if Mouse.click?(1)
    $game_system.se_play
    ($data_system.decision_se)
    pbFadeOutIn(99999)
    ( scene=PokemonPokedexScene.new
    screen=PokemonPokedex.new(scene)
    screen.pbStartScreen )
    end
    end
    You've got two lines in one there. Separate them.

I was wondering if it was possible to expand the summary screen for abilities using Pokemon Essentials. I am trying to expand the abilities box to two lines so that some of the new abilities will fit. An example showing my issue is in the attachments if I wasn't very clear above.
    I decided that the description text for moves works exactly like this, so I copied it. More specifically, use this code:

Code:
    drawTextEx(overlay,172,240,308,0,
       pbGetMessage(MessageTypes::AbilityDescs,pokemon.ability),
       Color.new(0,0,0),Color.new(208,208,200))
    You'll want to change the coordinates and size of the text (the numbers in the first line).

Hi there, I'm developping a game since a few days and I can figure out pretty much anything I want with the Pkmn Essentials Wiki, but this time I'm really stuck:

I've been trying to find a variable in the scripts that would enable messages to be displayed lightning-fast, since even in FAST mode it's waaay to slow.

Do you know precisely what file I should check out or even the name of the variable that commands directly the text speed? Several variables are related to text speed, but I can't seem to find the one directly related to the actual speed.

Thanks a lot.
    A quick look at the Options screen scripts tells me that the code you want is this:

Code:
    MessageConfig.pbSetTextSpeed(pbSettingToTextSpeed(3))
    This is several times faster than the "fast" speed, and should be fine for your needs.

I don't think so, I've only ever edited the regional map script and added my own apricorn case script.

Also, does anybody know why the regional Pokédex number error appears, even though I've already deleted the line of script I need to. It only ever appears when I try to use the editor, not the game.
    The editor is separate to RPG Maker XP, although it works in much the same way. The editor still has that line you deleted in it, which means it will throw the error up.

The editor can only do a few things that the debug option in Essentials itself can't, namely editing individual trainers and items, and repositioning battle sprites. The first two are just as easy to do in the PBS files, and the repositioning can be done before you put in the regional numbers. Basically, don't use the editor after you put in the regional numbers, and the only thing you'd want to use it for anyway is easily moving battle sprites around (a one-time thing).

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2011
    Just gonna throw this out there.. I did hit the search. this forum is what came up >.> Don't go making accusations with no knowledge outside of posts. But thanks for directing me to the forum/tutorials, i have been searching for hours.

Edit: :'( I went through the four pages of tutorials and a bunch in resources and found nothing. If anybody finds the fix, please help me because i really can't find it.

Last edited:

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Are you editing the Trainer Event or using the Event command "Show Animation" and animation 17?

Oops, completely missed your response.

To be honest with you, reading what you said made me take another look at the event commands and realize there was something I completely missed, heh. I've fixed it now, thank you.

KitsuneKouta said:
    For the second problem, I can't really give a definitive answer without playing around with it a bit, but if you look in PokemonEncounters, you can likely set an if statement for the switch you're turning on to change the data from being read from the txt file (look for instances of data=load_data("Data/encounters.dat"), to reading from an array or possibly a different txt file or whatever you can think of. You'd probably have to play with the compiler if you use a different txt file, which would be a pain, but I don't now for sure.
    I'll look into that, I haven't really had the chance to yet.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    The editor is separate to RPG Maker XP, although it works in much the same way. The editor still has that line you deleted in it, which means it will throw the error up.

The editor can only do a few things that the debug option in Essentials itself can't, namely editing individual trainers and items, and repositioning battle sprites. The first two are just as easy to do in the PBS files, and the repositioning can be done before you put in the regional numbers. Basically, don't use the editor after you put in the regional numbers, and the only thing you'd want to use it for anyway is easily moving battle sprites around (a one-time thing).

Thanks! This will help a lot!

Years
  • Well then, thank Poccil, because it's part of the generic Starter Kit, and it's been known about for forever.

Somebody already made a fix in either the Tutorials or resources section. Go hit the search button before you ask.

I wasn't asking for the fix, I was just telling him that there is a simple way to fix it, I just can't remember exactly how.
    I already have it working in my game.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    For those who are interested, I have fixed the double battles bug, where not all battlers could do something. The fix is on the wiki on the Battles page (credit to me please).

It's quite amusing to see that this bug, like so many problems, is caused by money. It's also interesting that it's such a simple fix, too. Took me long enough to figure out, though.

so nobody cares that i STILL HAVENT FOUND the fix? >.>
    Do you want the short answer or the honest answer? Actually, they're both the same.

I had a look at it, and aside from finding that storing Triad cards works the same as the Bag, I couldn't find anything. Not that I'm particularly interested in it anyway.

MilesG170

Team Enigma Founder
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2015
    so nobody cares that i STILL HAVENT FOUND the fix? >.>
    That's not how you get your answer. Honestly, I would say just mess with as much as you can. Sometimes, learning Ruby can help as well. I don't know, but good luck finding it.

flamemaster

No school like the old school
    Years
    • MI
    • Seen Mar 23, 2016
    ok, i now know how to resize the screen to my proportians, but i have a problem, how do i make the sprites fit this new size, i'm guessing i have to resize everything, but the thing that really stumps me is how i can resize the tileset? any ideas?
    flamemaster~

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Is it simple to stop the Surf BGM from playing on a specific map?

Map 056 in my project if the map that lead to the Pokemon league in my project, and there is a surfing section. I don't want the surfing music to play in that specific area, however. What I've done to try to put this code:

Code:
    elsif $game_map.map_id==056
    in every If block in "PokemonField" and "PokemonHiddenMoves" that mentions surfBGM. Basically, the look similar to this:

Code:
     if $PokemonGlobal.surfing && surfbgm
      pbBGMPlay(surfbgm)
     elsif $PokemonGlobal.bicycle && bikebgm
      pbBGMPlay(bikebgm)
      $game_map.autoplay
     else
      $game_map.autoplay
     end
    It doesn't throw me any errors, and the game runs fine, but the desired effect is not achieved. What am I forgetting or doing wrong?

PS:
    Maruno said:
    For those who are interested, I have fixed the double battles bug, where not all battlers could do something. The fix is on the wiki on the Battles page (credit to me please).
    Credit you will receive. I'm not sure yet how many if any double battles I want in my project, but the fix is in place regardless.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2013
    Code:
     if $PokemonGlobal.surfing && surfbgm
      pbBGMPlay(surfbgm)
      pbBGMPlay(bikebgm)
      $game_map.autoplay
     else
      $game_map.autoplay
     end

It doesn't have the desired effect, because the first IF-block is already returning true, so the game ignores whatever ELSEIF you throw in there.

You should rearrange it to something like that:

Code:
    if $game_map.map_id==056
       $game_map.autoplay
    elsif $PokemonGlobal.surfing && surfbgm
      pbBGMPlay(surfbgm)
      pbBGMPlay(bikebgm)
     else
      $game_map.autoplay
     end

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    Does anybody know if it is possible to make an item usable only 3 times, and make it change its sprite each time the player uses it?

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Isn't it easier to use my method?
    A good programmer avoids code duplicity.
    And the more methods, the better is.

So, I have a really old version of Essentials, and have no motive of changing editions...
    So I was hoping someone could tell me how to edit the Scene_Intro scripts so it shows Pic_1 for a tad longer than it usually does....

This is the current code
    Spoiler:

Anyone have any idea how to edit this? :/
    I had posted a fix a little ago.
    Spoiler:

Okay. I am not a noob to making games, just throwing that out there. I want to make a serious game about triple triad, but it's not working >.< I downloaded the pokemon essentials, i had used it before and made pokemon gmaes, but i wanted to make a game 100% about triple triad. Getting badges by beating champion duelists, going to the card shop, buying booster packs, but i seem to have a few problems.
    1. After the player buys cards, it doesn't give them to him.
    I tried copying the original event, putting the player in the starting pokecenter after the beginning with oak, i tried redownloading and such. They buy the cards (they pick what they want, and give the money) but don't get any. I tried hitting the sale button, but it says i have no cards. I bought five and tried to play, but it says i didn't have neough. So i bough more. Still didn't have enough. So i came to the problem that i just wasn't being given the cards i bought. I tried new saves, and multiple things.

2. I want a way to hide the pokemon option (looking at party ect) but i can deal with this one.

3. Buying cards of pokemon you don't have. Right now i am just giving the player pokemon they could use , like giving 25 pokemon for the shop to carry, they have to battle for the rest. Ect.

If you have a solution to any of these, please help me.
    I need to update the error page in wikia...

I'm sorry if I sound impatient, but does no one know what could be wrong? This appears to be an out-of-the-box error for me... I redownloaded Pokemon Essentials with no modifications from the latest version listed on the Wiki and even that version does not want to give me Triad cards. Does anyone have any idea? Sorry for asking twice, but I'd like to at least have some clue how to fix this becuase it really puzzles me... other data stored in $PokemonGlobal variables seem to store fine... for example, the PC works fine.

I could try posting a recording of the issue I'm having if it helps.

AH! Got it, fixed my own problem. If anyone else has this error, it stems on for some reason there being a bug in the code out of the box that reinitializes the triad variable each time it is called... to fix change this line of text:

Code:
     def triads
      @triads=TriadStorage.new
      return @triads
     end

to this:

Code:
      def triads
      @triads=TriadStorage.new if !@triads
      return @triads
     end

It's quite amusing to see that this bug, like so many problems, is caused by money. It's also interesting that it's such a simple fix, too. Took me long enough to figure out, though.
    Very good! I thinks that this also fix the same bug at Battle Tower.

Does anybody know if it is possible to make an item usable only 3 times, and make it change its sprite each time the player uses it?
    Maybe you can use differents itens witch same extrernal name! Every time that one item be use just put in script a silent add to other.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Someone can help me with anyone of this questions?
    1-
    I want to do a old style item PC without Mailbox. But if I call pbPCItemStorage without a Kernel.pbMessage after, the games freeze! Why? There a fix without I need to use Kernel.pbMessage?
    I need to put:
    Code:
    command=1
        loop do
          (command==1 || command==-1) ? pbPCItemStorage : break
          command=Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("Exit?"),[_INTL("YES"),_INTL("NO")],-1)
        end

2-
    Has anyone manage to get the bridges working? I can pass for up, but when I try to pass under bridge my characters end surf and got freezie under bridge!

4-I didn't know if this is a error or not, but if you create a secret map area and put pokémon encounters in it you can see that area via "Area" pokédex command. Someone had a fix for it?

5-Anyone had any anti-FPS down tips for maps like don't make them huge or put many events? I had FPS down trouble.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back