• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2012
pokemon evolutions

I want to let pokemon evolve when they level up with a certain item.

so if somebody knows an easy way or can explain how, please tell me.

Years
  • Seen Mar 15, 2015
I want to know how to make Nidoran(M) and Nidoran(F) have a gender icon, I can't get the gender icon to appear. Can anyone please help me.

I have searched for this problem and i can't find it, does anyone know how i can make the gender icon appear?

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Do you mean that using Nidoran[m] doesn't work? How weird...

Someone: How can I change a move of a pokemon in my team (in hex)? I can't find a GS code to do this and i need to do this to make sure that move descriptions fit...

Jean LaFlame

French chic ♪
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2012
Hi everyone!
I'd want to know what the "spritebehave" XSE command is. What does it exactly do?
Thank you in advance.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Hi everyone!
I'd want to know what the "spritebehave" XSE command is. What does it exactly do?
Thank you in advance.

It sets a sprite's default behaviour outside of the script in which you set it. It's useful for adding, or changing a sprite due to a completed event.

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Forgive me if this is fairly obvious, but, unless I've been searching with the wrong terms, there's (almost) nothing even remotely about this.

I've been working on a ROM hack and I had never really learned how to change the map name. What I want to do is rename a custom map to something like SECRET ROUTE 1, or something similar. I thought I knew how to do this and was going to get to the whole re-naming thing later, but when I typed it into the new field and clicked Change Name it changed the actual entry in the list, EG If it was originally grouped with LITTLEROOT TOWN and I renamed then click change name, everything called LITTLEROOT TOWN would have the new name.

How can I change the name of my map without overwriting a previous map name?

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I have searched for this problem and i can't find it, does anyone know how i can make the gender icon appear?

If I understand what you mean, [m] and [f] will allow you to display gender in a script.

Do you mean that using Nidoran[m] doesn't work? How weird...

Someone: How can I change a move of a pokemon in my team (in hex)? I can't find a GS code to do this and i need to do this to make sure that move descriptions fit...
Forgive me, but I'm losing track of what everyone is hacking. I've never heard of a GS code, so forgive me for thinking of Gen II. Checking this for Gen II and this for Gen III should give you an idea how Pokemon Data is stored, and thus edited.

How would I change the intro hero + the names for the rival & hero?
A-text works in this case, actually. Use the search tool to find the names, and change them as necessary.

Forgive me if this is fairly obvious, but, unless I've been searching with the wrong terms, there's (almost) nothing even remotely about this.

I've been working on a ROM hack and I had never really learned how to change the map name. What I want to do is rename a custom map to something like SECRET ROUTE 1, or something similar. I thought I knew how to do this and was going to get to the whole re-naming thing later, but when I typed it into the new field and clicked Change Name it changed the actual entry in the list, EG If it was originally grouped with LITTLEROOT TOWN and I renamed then click change name, everything called LITTLEROOT TOWN would have the new name.

How can I change the name of my map without overwriting a previous map name?
The number of map names is indexed, and as such, it is finite. The game needs each map name to be given a number, for reference in something such as Caught location or the World Map. There is a limiting byte the prevents more from being added. Expanding it requires you to go through the Hex, modifying the limiting bytes, and repointing the name table; something easier said than done. Basically, you're stuck with the same number of names, and you HAVE to write over them. You can change the associates of the map, i.e. which map has which name, by selecting the name you want from the dropbox next to where you enter a name. For example, you could use the dropbox to select "Scorched Slab", then enter "Secret Route 1". All maps with Scorched Slab as a name will be turned into "Secret Route 1".

I recommend doing the renaming as soon as possible, to make sure you don't out of names. Emerald has a very distinct advantage naming-wise; Emerald gives you 212 free names. By comparison, Firered has 109 free names, and Ruby/Sapphire has only 86 free names. Either way, doing the naming now willl save alot of trouble.

Why isn't the map their? I'm attempting to add warps.
Firered.

If there are no events on a map at all, the map doesn't show up on the event tab. It also does this if you start out with 0 events, and add some events. Refreshing should make it show up.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
The number of map names is indexed, and as such, it is finite. The game needs each map name to be given a number, for reference in something such as Caught location or the World Map. There is a limiting byte the prevents more from being added. Expanding it requires you to go through the Hex, modifying the limiting bytes, and repointing the name table; something easier said than done. Basically, you're stuck with the same number of names, and you HAVE to write over them. You can change the associates of the map, i.e. which map has which name, by selecting the name you want from the dropbox next to where you enter a name. For example, you could use the dropbox to select "Scorched Slab", then enter "Secret Route 1". All maps with Scorched Slab as a name will be turned into "Secret Route 1".

I recommend doing the renaming as soon as possible, to make sure you don't out of names. Emerald has a very distinct advantage naming-wise; Emerald gives you 212 free names. By comparison, Firered has 109 free names, and Ruby/Sapphire has only 86 free names. Either way, doing the naming now willl save alot of trouble.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up :D

By free names you mean names currently not in use by Emerald, correct? (Such as Pallet Town, all the other FRLG towns, anything else that isn't in use by Emerald)

My warps aren't working also any idea what may be wrong?

You must have a tile that allows for warping, for example: a door, fading grass (Such as the tiles leading you to the forest at the beginning of RSE), ladder, etc...
(Open up in-game warps if you don't know what I mean, a good one is the forest entrance I mentioned earlier, but I think you're using FRLG so whatever the alternative is in that game. Sorry, I don't remember much of either of those)

Last edited:

redriders180

Years
Ah, that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up :D

By free names you mean names currently not in use by Emerald, correct? (Such as Pallet Town, all the other FRLG towns, anything else that isn't in use by Emerald)

I meant that there are 212 names in total. There are 109 FRLG towns/routes/etc in Emerald, which aren't used in the game at all, except for when trading from FRLG to Emerald, where Emerald can then say exactly where it was obtained. Luckily, Emerald has it so all locations built-in to it can be used. Even though Firered also has RSE route names programmed in, they aren't accessible at all :\

Years
I still need help with unLZ GBA Please~

Try messing with the pallets. Search up some pallet tutorials, we have some good ones.

I played with the pallets and stuff but that didn't seem to work. In the rom the game plays fine and none of the pokemon seem to have anything wrong with them at all.
On some of the numbers where you can shift through the colors and pallets on unLZ GBA i can find the original colorings of the pokemon sometimes, but usually it's just varying shades of weird. I looked around for unLZ tutorials, but it's mostly just how to use the thing, and not how to fix or get around my problem.
Are there any other things I could do to figure this out or get around it?

Again, here's an example of my issue, I'll only use one this time:
Untitled-3-1.jpg

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2012
My question is about the scripts regarding connectivity of players in Emerald. I've noticed that, for some odd reason in some areas of my ROM certain sections has been corrupted for some reason or another (Battle tent and the starter dialogue you have with your rival when you try to pick up their pokeball in their room are some examples), and I fix them by setting the script to default (really not sure why this happens, but it does, I almost want to blame A-Text since everything else has just been graphical edits in pure free space located at the end of the ROM). However, I believe this has gotten to online play. I've tested it several times, and this is what i've noticed: The joining script is messed up. Or at least its possible such a script is somehow messed up.

If I connect two emulators with the same modified ROM and try to do, say, a single battle, the host walks into the room alone and waits for the joiner. However, the joiner never leaves the "[Player] has given the OK!" dialogue, so the game never moves on. Interestingly, if I connect the original ROM with the modified one and the modified ROM is the host, there are no problems and the game plays as normal. When I switch the roles (Modified ROM joins the Original ROM's game), the same issue happens in which the joiner does not move past the "[Player] has given the OK!" dialogue and the game is stuck. To make sure this is not an emulator issue, playing with two original ROMs results in the game playing as normal regardless of who hosts. Which suggests to me that something about that section of the ROM is corrupted.

In short, i'm asking for offsets for online play, or at least how I can look at the scripts for online play beyond the dialogue of the pokemon center NPCs (going into a script editor shows a pointer to a "special", which may be it, but I have no idea how to change that specifically). This way I can see what changed and correct it, because honestly changing the word "Pokemon" for three days straight again sounds like more work than just fixing this.

EDIT: Uh, surprisingly, I just fixed it. I kind of realized that the beginning of the ROM is really a big stability factor for the game. There's no reason why there should be any difference between the original and a modified ROM close to the beginning. However, there was a glaring issue, an entire line was different...for no reason. And I never touched the beginning of the ROM, either. After modifying the line in HEX Workshop, it worked.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 21, 2013
How do you insert (overworld)trainer sprites on a sprite sheet into a rom?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Basically what I want to do is to display the description of my moves in game, to see if they fit since the tools don't provide it. Therefore I need to change my pokemon's attacks independently of the Pokemon in order to see the changes.

I've looked for a GS (Gameshark) code but haven't found nothing that works so far, so I'm asking if it is possible to edit it myself in hex

How do you insert (overworld)trainer sprites on a sprite sheet into a rom?

Ummm... A sprite sheet is for editing uses I think, you can't insert it directly onto the rom, you must insert them one after another (correct me if I'm wrong)

Last edited:

redriders180

Years
I played with the pallets and stuff but that didn't seem to work. In the rom the game plays fine and none of the pokemon seem to have anything wrong with them at all.
On some of the numbers where you can shift through the colors and pallets on unLZ GBA i can find the original colorings of the pokemon sometimes, but usually it's just varying shades of weird. I looked around for unLZ tutorials, but it's mostly just how to use the thing, and not how to fix or get around my problem.
Are there any other things I could do to figure this out or get around it?

Again, here's an example of my issue, I'll only use one this time:
Untitled-3-1.jpg

You could always try searching for the palette. There are most likely tutorials about how to use APE to search for a palette around here, because it's a useful skill. You'll then have the offset of the Image and Palette, so you can use NSE to open it up, and you'll be set.

Basically what I want to do is to display the description of my moves in game, to see if they fit since the tools don't provide it. Therefore I need to change my pokemon's attacks independently of the Pokemon in order to see the changes.

I've looked for a GS (Gameshark) code but haven't found nothing that works so far, so I'm asking if it is possible to edit it myself in hex

This is doable, insofar as you have VBA and the links I showed you previously. At the bottom of the link for Gen III, you'll see the following:

Bulbapedia said:
A trainer's team starts at the following addresses in the GBA's RAM (for US games?):

• Ruby: 0x03004360
  • Sapphire: 0x03004360
  • Emerald: 0x02024190, 0x020244EC for US games
  • FireRed: 0x02024284
  • LeafGreen: 0x020241e4
There are 6 Pokémon per team, so the whole team continues for 600 bytes afterward.

Open up the game in VBA viewer, and pull up the Memory Viewer. Go to the offset, as shown above, and that's the beginning of the first pokemon in the party. Look around, using the data structure link as a guide, for it's moves (use this to help). Once you locate the moves, you can use the Memory viewer to change the values to each move. You'll have to close out of the Pokemon summary page each time, though, to "refresh" your changes.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2012
When I try to open my hacked version of FR, it says 'Unsupported ARM mode00'. How can I fix this? I really want to know if my hack was a succes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back