• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Could you tell me how to find the offsets, other than tracing it using A-Map?

By the way, I have another question. How can I change the names of May, Brendan, and Wally? I see in the text that there is a variable [RIVAL]. Is it possible that I can find the offset where the names are assigned?

Try searching for it in the ROM... Use a Hex Editor and a Table...

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years

By the way, I have another question. How can I change the names of May, Brendan, and Wally? I see in the text that there is a variable [RIVAL]. Is it possible that I can find the offset where the names are assigned?

use A-text and search for the name. Then, write it to the ini and change it. voila there you go XD

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Are there any flags, that are set, that define the gender?

No, no flags. The gender is the 8th byte in the player data structure. Further info can be found on my first ASM lesson, in the Documents and Tutorials.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Are there any flags, that are set, that define the gender?
No but you can obtain the player's gender in a script with 'checkgender' just like 'checkflag' except with no parameters. I think thethethethe's scripting tutorial covers that.
Alright I found it. The names for the rivals and other stuff are stored at '0x5E821B'. Each name is separated by an '0xFF' byte so if your new name is shorter than the previous name, then all you have to do is fill the bytes of the previous name that you didn't use with '0xFF'. However, if your new name is longer (and it most likely will be if you're replacing May's name) then you will have to repoint the text. The pointer to Brendan's name can be found at '0x009090' and May's at '0x00909C'. I don't know where the pointers to the other texts (e.g. Team names, game names, team leader names, etc.) are but they shouldn't be too hard to locate.
Oh yeah and this is all for Emerald, by the way.

Last edited:

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
Years
okay guys.. how do i make new over world sprite without any bugs..
the 40+ patch didnt work.. only showed in a-map but not in gba.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years

theres a hex tutorial on pc or vm me and I can send you the tutorial I made.

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2010
Hello, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to hacking, but...

How can I change the Pokemon that are offered as Game Corner Prizes in Celadon?

Thanks in advance!

Aljam

Years
Hello, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to hacking, but...

How can I change the Pokemon that are offered as Game Corner Prizes in Celadon?

Thanks in advance!

You can do that by scripting.

This is a question I would like to ask. What are the dimensions for the boot screen in FR?

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
Years
you know when you use the tilemap editor there is a dotted line right at the right..
that's the dimension.

EDIT:
can anyone answer my question on top?

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2009
Me...once again, lol

Just need a push in te right direction, is there a Tutorial about changing the overworld sprites? I've tried doing it on my own, i have a little idea how to change it, i'm using Overworld editor, but whenever I change Oak's sprite it comes out pretty screwed, just need a little hand with a tut to see how to do it properly. Apologies if i'm getting annoying

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Me...once again, lol

Just need a push in te right direction, is there a Tutorial about changing the overworld sprites? I've tried doing it on my own, i have a little idea how to change it, i'm using Overworld editor, but whenever I change Oak's sprite it comes out pretty screwed, just need a little hand with a tut to see how to do it properly. Apologies if i'm getting annoying
What part did screw up?
You mean a tutorial of spriting (drawing) tutorial, or an inserting tutorial?

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2009
What part did screw up?
You mean a tutorial of spriting (drawing) tutorial, or an inserting tutorial?

Sorry, should have stated better, inserting a Overworld sprite, i'm fine with spriting etc, just the inserting business, as I said with overworld Editor, as I said I want to change Prof Oaks Overworld Sprite to something else, so for ease I grabbed the Super Nerd Sprite 9think it's super nerd anyway) I added the sprite to Overworld Editor just fine, but when I added the second frame the colours got a bit distorted, and wghen I booted it up in game to see what it looked like it was still distorted.

I didn't save a screenie but i'll give it another go and grab a screenshot now:

this is my first step, I imported the sprite and chose to import the pallette as well (When I do it without it gets a distorted) and all is peachy:

overworld1 attatchment

then I go to the next frame and this has happened:

Overworld2 attachment

so i'm a bit confused, so I just carry on and add the sprite for that frame:

Overworld3 attachment

and then the sprte seems to have grown a beard >> and as I said when I import it into game it's just like hat pretty screwy.

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2010
You can do that by scripting.

This is a question I would like to ask. What are the dimensions for the boot screen in FR?
I looked in the code, but I couldn't find out how to do that. Can you be more specific, please?

Aljam

Years
I looked in the code, but I couldn't find out how to do that. Can you be more specific, please?

you use XSE which is located in the toolbox. then you learn how to script by using one of the XSE tuts in the Documents section.

Where would be a good offset to start off using free space? (other than 8000000)

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
Years
aljam. do you know where to get lurio and lucario cry?
Oh yea and do anybody here knows the offset for the palette of the word "POKEMON FIRERED VERSION"

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2012
Alright I found it. The names for the rivals and other stuff are stored at '0x5E821B'. Each name is separated by an '0xFF' byte so if your new name is shorter than the previous name, then all you have to do is fill the bytes of the previous name that you didn't use with '0xFF'. However, if your new name is longer (and it most likely will be if you're replacing May's name) then you will have to repoint the text. The pointer to Brendan's name can be found at '0x009090' and May's at '0x00909C'. I don't know where the pointers to the other texts (e.g. Team names, game names, team leader names, etc.) are but they shouldn't be too hard to locate.
Oh yeah and this is all for Emerald, by the way.
Thanks very much. It's really helpful to me.
By the way, what does "repoint" mean? I came across that words many times, but don't know its meaning.

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Hey, does anyone know the offsets for the intro to firered? I was interested in tinkering it and fooling with some of the animations. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Years
Sorry, should have stated better, inserting a Overworld sprite, i'm fine with spriting etc, just the inserting business, as I said with overworld Editor, as I said I want to change Prof Oaks Overworld Sprite to something else, so for ease I grabbed the Super Nerd Sprite 9think it's super nerd anyway) I added the sprite to Overworld Editor just fine, but when I added the second frame the colours got a bit distorted, and wghen I booted it up in game to see what it looked like it was still distorted.

I didn't save a screenie but i'll give it another go and grab a screenshot now:

this is my first step, I imported the sprite and chose to import the pallette as well (When I do it without it gets a distorted) and all is peachy:

overworld1 attatchment

then I go to the next frame and this has happened:

Overworld2 attachment

so i'm a bit confused, so I just carry on and add the sprite for that frame:

Overworld3 attachment

and then the sprte seems to have grown a beard >> and as I said when I import it into game it's just like hat pretty screwy.

Not sure about that back sprite, but the other ones seem to be a pallet problem.
You say you said to import pallet... but the pallets in attachment 1 and 2 are different...

actually, that back sprite looks like its corrupt...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back