• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
Years
  • I was wondering where the tile behavior bytes are stored in hex (in Fire Red US), and if they're just pointers to scripts or something more complex. I'm going to write a script for a headbutt tree and would like to make a headbutt tree behavior byte and not have to place a script on every tile of that type.

Years
  • where can i get the advance mart application??
    the one i have doesn't work on some roms.
    even advance map doesn't work too.
    can anybody help me??

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • where can i get the advance mart application??
    the one i have doesn't work on some roms.
    even advance map doesn't work too.
    can anybody help me??

Are you hacking a clean rom or a hack?
    Chances are if it's a hack then it's been hex locked and you shouldn't been hacking a hack.

If it's a clean rom, try re-downloading advance map and a-mart. If they still don't work, contact the authors of the tools and address your problems and temporarily use Elitemap for mapping and hex edit mart items.

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    Use this tutorial (hex editor will be required).

Or use Rom Header Editor Advance (RHEA) from HackMew's tool factory.

Wow thats cool, I've got a question about that tutorial, if i change the random text i inserted back to what it was originally will i be able to open it in tools like A-map then?

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Wow thats cool, I've got a question about that tutorial, if i change the random text i inserted back to what it was originally will i be able to open it in tools like A-map then?

Yeah, you'll be able to unlock it again.

Although something better than a hex lock would be to repoint the map data so advance map cannot read it.

Last edited:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Yeah I always thought that was a pretty low-level lock. The offset is located at AC-AF right in the begining of the rom. If you patch a firered rom then to un lock a rom just go to that offset, and type BPRE. Also changing the map bank pointers or anything of the sort is still pretty low level. Just open the advance map ini file find the pointer, then reverse it. Then search for it in a hex editor(with a clean rom)(now you have the offset where it stores the pointer) then with the hack rom go to that offset and copy that new pointer, and create an ini file for advance map. :/ I have yet to see a lock, I haven't been able to break. What we need is an option in advance map where is adds a couple of random bytes at random free locations and dose not tell where dose locations are. If advance map opens a rom with that option selected, and saved. A message will come up saying that it is locked. But advance map isn't the only rom hacking tool, also again you can find map pointers and do everything advance map dose with a hex editor. So in conclusion, I don't see there ever being a good lock.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
  • 1/what's a good hex editor, and where could i download it?
    2/how do i edit the pokemon menu?
    3/if it's unlz-gba, what's the offset?
    4/what is the pallet offset for the oak intro background?
    5/if i wanted an event to happen right when the game starts, would i use a level script?

the bump is initiated!
    first 2 i don't need anymore

Kayori

(:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2011
    Hello :)
    Uhm i'm still kind of new here so i'm a bit confused about a lot of things.. xD @_@

I know there are Action Replay Codes for changing your Player in HG/SS, but sadly, I want to walk around as one of the new Gym Leaders (Clair, Jasmine, Whitney and/or Misty) but I haven't found any for that yet.. So now my question would be how could I edit my own trainer sprite easily or how could I do an AR Code for that OR could someone make me an AR Code for that? (I'm playing the US version of Soulsilver)..

That's all, thank you! ^_^

Alignment

Revered with the stars
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Hey this is probally a dumb question but how do you insert those gigantic humgous Pokecenter and mart tiles into tileset one? even when you cut them in half they're ginormous

Cut it in half vertically and horizontally. and place the 2 pieces somewhere you have room, you are deleting the old mart/pc when you insert then so free space, but if that not the way I too would like to know how to expand tilesets.

raidenx2008

Beggining Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2016
    I get white screen after I patch the rom with LIPS, or using the VBA`s auto ips patch!!! HELP!!!! (the rom is clean)
    (All GBA hacks will fail for me, even Quartz and Shiny Gold)

edit: problem fixed, I patched the file at another computer and works.

Last edited:

PeregrineFig

Years
  • the bump is initiated!
    first 2 i don't need anymore

I feel rather nice today, so I'll tell you the palette offset. The blue-ish background during the speech with Oak is stored at offset 0046056A. It's actually easy to get palette offsets though, just view the palette with VBA and search for the first 5 colors as a hex string.

Last edited:

me2hack

Graphics Artist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    Well I just started with this thing called "Rom-Hacking" and I stumbled across something quite annoying.
    When making a game with completely different maps than your base rom, would it be better to delete the maps? o.O
    Or to edit every single one of them?

Please reply.

tinix

PearlShipper & C Programmer
    Years
  • Well I just started with this thing called "Rom-Hacking" and I stumbled across something quite annoying.
    When making a game with completely different maps than your base rom, would it be better to delete the maps? o.O
    Or to edit every single one of them?

Please reply.

I think it is better to edit maps and when you have original not needed maps just remove conections. And also, based on waht i read, deleting maps can mess your ROM

PeregrineFig

Years
  • Yes, deleting maps is far more trouble than it's worth. You already have more than half of the ROM as free space, so the small extra amount deleting a map can give you isn't worth what it could potentially do.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back