• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nosophoros

I'm eating your cake
Years
I'm using Pokemon OW Sprite Editor and can't seem to import a sprite without an "overflow" message appearing. How do I fix this (I've tried 16 and 24 bit .bmp)?

Also, how do I edit the colors in the pallete (my edit pallete buttion is faded)?

Last edited:

sonlen

Hacking Noob
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2011
Is there a way to import a tilemap made with NTS with unlz so that it can use its own palette for the title screen and not one of the 16 that is default? or can i replace one of those without messing anything up? Thanks ahead of time.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Does anyone know how to add/change compressed sprites in pokemon r/b/y (from .gif to hex code)?

Nosophoros

I'm eating your cake
Years
Best pokemon fire red map editor? (don't like advancemap)

Where can I download rs-ball?

Last edited:

kittopian

Source engine coder
Years
Hello. I was wondering how to add tile animations. e,g the flowers to pokemon ruby?
I just inserted tiles but they seem awfully static! I have serched everywhere but I cannot find a tutorial on the matter!

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Hello. I was wondering how to add tile animations. e,g the flowers to pokemon ruby?
I just inserted tiles but they seem awfully static! I have serched everywhere but I cannot find a tutorial on the matter!

It's pretty complicated stuff but if you think you're up to it (and even if you think you are, it still may be too much), you can try reading this tutorial.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Pretty there isn't a simple way. I think even coolboyman just removed the decompression routine and made all the sprites uncompressed. That would probably be your best bet.

This could be a great idea, I never thought in this perspective. so far I have always thought i should find a way to compress the sprites. removing the decompression routine maybe allows me to insert images. I hope there is enough free space..

Thank you so much thethethethe, probably you are my savior!!! This could really help me a lot.
*going to open debugger to find decompression routine*

EDIT:
One more question: how to transform the gif image in hex code? Let me explain. what hexadecimal value is associated with a given pixel (example: 04 = black pixel, 8C = white pixel, etc.). Is there a correlation table?

To insert a gif image using hex editor, shall i simply open the image with the hex editor and paste the string into the right pointed address of the rom?

Last edited:

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
Years
Alright guys, can anyone tell me how to change the map where the player begins through hex? SMCA apparently doesn't work with JPAN's hacked engine.
I guess I can just switch the default start map with the one I want to use, but I think it's rather inconvenient.
BTW, I tried it with a clean, regular FireRed, with a copy of that FireRed with JPAN's patch applied, and with my current ROM. It only works on the regular FR, so JPAN's patch is definitely the source of the problem.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Alright guys, can anyone tell me how to change the map where the player begins through hex? SMCA apparently doesn't work with JPAN's hacked engine.
I guess I can just switch the default start map with the one I want to use, but I think it's rather inconvenient.
BTW, I tried it with a clean, regular FireRed, with a copy of that FireRed with JPAN's patch applied, and with my current ROM. It only works on the regular FR, so JPAN's patch is definitely the source of the problem.

Well if you have isolated JPAN's hacked engine as the problem, then you'd probably be better off asking in his thread or asking him directly. If he changed something that makes a tool nonfunctional, there's nobody better to ask than him.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
Years
Well if you have isolated JPAN's hacked engine as the problem, then you'd probably be better off asking in his thread or asking him directly. If he changed something that makes a tool nonfunctional, there's nobody better to ask than him.

Alright, will do. I've just resolved the problem by switching the maps around, but for future reference do you or anyone else know the offset where that info (starting location) is stored?

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Alright, will do. I've just resolved the problem by switching the maps around, but for future reference do you or anyone else know the offset where that info (starting location) is stored?
YES!
Code:
0x00054A04: Map Bank
0x00054A06: Map Level
0x00054A08: Map X-Co-ord
At least, that's what I have documented.

EDIT: Are you getting an "invalid property value" error, btw?

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
Years
YES!
Code:
0x00054A04: Map Bank
0x00054A06: Map Level
0x00054A08: Map X-Co-ord
At least, that's what I have documented.

EDIT: Are you getting an "invalid property value" error, btw?

Ah, thank you!
And yes, that is the error I'm getting. Do you know how to fix it?

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Ah, thank you!
And yes, that is the error I'm getting. Do you know how to fix it?

I know how to stop it from happening... But that's it. Uh, ok so... When reading the "Play facing" byte the program creates the error. This is because it is read from a level script, which is not there in the hacked engine. So the byte it reads is 0xFF, which is invalid for the combo box, which has to be between 0 and 3. Get it?

It's not difficult to fix, just comment out a few lines in the programs code. But in this case, it's easier to just use a hex editor to edit the ROM. It's only 3 bytes, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back