• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
well, metapod, you done something i thought no-one would ever do; teach me to script for myself!
thank you!

I have one last question, when im inserting pokemon sprites, do i need to insert Normal, normal back, shiny and shiny back or the normal and the shiny back..

the pallettes look messed up.

still would like to know what i can do to solve this thanks

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2014
in fire red are all of the tiles used in the tileset for something or are the black ones completely blank tiles?

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
3 questions.

1. Can you have a script give EXP points?

I'm not too sure on this but I don't think so.

2. Is there a way to keep track of defeated pokemon so you can have a quest-like thing where you have to defeat 10 pidgys then come back for a prize?
This I know is possible, in a way. You could use flags, which I don't recommend because flags are precious lol, or you can use a variable. I would go ahead and use variables.
3. You know those Yes/No selection boxes? Is there a way to make it say different things and increase the number of chioces so you can make it like a multiple choice test?
Yes. Use the multichoice command.
If it makes a difference, this is for a Fire Red hack.

Response in red. If you don't get what I'm getting at, checkout Diegos script tut in the tutorial section

in fire red are all of the tiles used in the tileset for something or are the black ones completely blank tiles?
The black tiles in the interior tileset is used for the border block (black around the room) There should be a a bunch of free spots (creamish color). In the outdoor tileset any tile after the first black one (near the flower and signposts) are free, for the most part.

Last edited:

howieho

Beginner Rom Hacker
Years
Can you give me an example of how you'd do that with my 2nd question?

Also, with the multichoice command, that forces you to choose from choice boxes that were already in the game. I'm wondering if you can make one that doesn't have predefined choices. Like one that asks for your favorite color.

Samike360

Lover of May
Years

Also, with the multichoice command, that forces you to choose from choice boxes that were already in the game. I'm wondering if you can make one that doesn't have predefined choices. Like one that asks for your favorite color.

You have to use Hex in order to change the multichoices, there's a good tutorial somewhere in the tutorial section (I think its by JPAN).

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING

The way I would do it would be to have, say 10 Pidgey events. Choose a variable (say 0x7000 which should be set to 0x0) after each Pidgey battle use addvar to add one to the variable (0x7000). Have whoever completes the event (the person who sent you on the mission) check if you battled all ten (checkvar 0x7000 0xA) I imagine it wouldn't be as cut and paste as this but something generally similar.

Again this is all hypothetical, as I have yet to try it.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING

The way I would do it would be to have, say 10 Pidgey events. Choose a variable (say 0x7000 which should be set to 0x0) after each Pidgey battle use addvar to add one to the variable (0x7000). Have whoever completes the event (the person who sent you on the mission) check if you battled all ten (checkvar 0x7000 0xA) I imagine it wouldn't be as cut and paste as this but something generally similar.

Again this is all hypothetical, as I have yet to try it.

The thing with that though, is that you can't do it with random battles in the wild. You can only do it with scripts generating wild battles. So the only thing I can really think of with using scripting would be to, say, have an area where there are no wild Pidgeys, but other wild Pokemon, and insert a tile script over each patch of grass, etc.

Then each tile script would have to have a script to randomly generate a Pidgey. You could use flags or a variable (I'd recommend flags for this one, but that's just me - if you use a variable, just use one and set it to a different number each time).

I'd use the random command to give you random odds of Pidgey appearing or not. You'd also have to have checks, to see if the 8 Pidgey you wanted to have appeared, and put the setflags after the wildbattle commands, but even then you can't assure that the player didn't run away from the battle.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
The thing with that though, is that you can't do it with random battles in the wild. You can only do it with scripts generating wild battles. So the only thing I can really think of with using scripting would be to, say, have an area where there are no wild Pidgeys, but other wild Pokemon, and insert a tile script over each patch of grass, etc.

Then each tile script would have to have a script to randomly generate a Pidgey. You could use flags or a variable (I'd recommend flags for this one, but that's just me - if you use a variable, just use one and set it to a different number each time).

I'd use the random command to give you random odds of Pidgey appearing or not. You'd also have to have checks, to see if the 8 Pidgey you wanted to have appeared, and put the setflags after the wildbattle commands, but even then you can't assure that the player didn't run away from the battle.
That's why I would you use a wildbattle script (like a one off pokemon). That's just one way to do it. The whole green script thing IS definitely a good idea but with him clearly not an advanced scripter it would be harder to pull off for him than if you or i would do it.

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
Years
Yeah, I have a question.

In Ruby, what is the variable of which starter you chose? Because I want to do something like 'if you chose Mudkip you get mystic water'. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Yeah, I have a question.

In Ruby, what is the variable of which starter you chose? Because I want to do something like 'if you chose Mudkip you get mystic water'. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
It actually doesn't really mater which one, since you could set it anyway, but if you're still using the Birch's bag script, then the variable would be 0x4023.

Arolu

Time to cut some slack...
Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2010
Are there programs that can help me change the Cry, Footprint and Dex Number/Order of a Pokemon? If so, could you tell me there names or link me to them?
Would be much grateful. :)

Snake Oil Salesman

A mentlegen of science
Years
Are there programs that can help me change the Cry, Footprint and Dex Number/Order of a Pokemon? If so, could you tell me there names or link me to them?

Well, I know that someone here made a program to repoint cry's (in the tools section). As for the Pokemon editor, I think I know of a program, but I'm not too familiar with it. Which version are you hacking?

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years

For the cry, you would use pokecry, and NACR/Cry Pointer Repointer (Which I made)

For the Pokedex stuff, I would use YAPE.

For the footprints, use mewthree9000's footprinted, which can be found at his website in the 3rd gen. tools.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
well, metapod, you done something i thought no-one would ever do; teach me to script for myself!
thank you!

I have one last question, when im inserting pokemon sprites, do i need to insert Normal, normal back, shiny and shiny back or the normal and the shiny back..

Going to ask this for the third time hoping to get an answer,

Years
How do I add an OW sprite to a FR ROM instead of replacing another OW. I know that I would have to find a free space offset. Tools: OW Editor Rebirth Ed. and NSE.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Yeah, I have a question.

Thanks in advance!

This post should be able to help you.

thank you!

You should only have to insert two images – the front sprite and the back sprite. The difference between normal and shiny is simply a palette change.

How do I add an OW sprite to a FR ROM instead of replacing another OW. I know that I would have to find a free space offset. Tools: OW Editor Rebirth Ed. and NSE.

This tutorial teaches you how to add completely new overworlds.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
@colcolstyles.
So can i Manually pallette change the shiny pallette?, because i've been working with unLZ and that only requires the back shiny and front :/
-also, this is what appears in game for one of the sprites i just inserted, which is no different to any of the others, which all work fine :/
Spriteinsertfail-1.png

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
@colcolstyles.
So can i Manually pallette change the shiny pallette?, because i've been working with unLZ and that only requires the back shiny and front :/
-also, this is what appears in game for one of the sprites i just inserted, which is no different to any of the others, which all work fine :/
Spriteinsertfail-1.png

I'm sure you could change the shiny palette, though you'd have to find it in the ROM somehow. I believe that the palettes used for Pokémon sprites are LZ77 compressed (don't quote me on that, though) so if you're going to search for one using APE, remember to check the "Compressed Palette (LZ77)" box.
Also, if you want to display the front sprite as shiny, just click "Next Pal" while viewing the front sprite (and similarly, if you want to see the normal back sprite, click "Previous Pal" when viewing the back sprite). When you click "Next" to go from the front sprite to the back sprite, you'll notice that unLZ goes to the next palette as well. For example, if you take a look at Bulbasaur's front sprite in an unedited Ruby ROM, you'll notice that the image number is 461 and the palette number is 266. However, upon clicking "Next" and moving to Bulbasaur's back sprite, not only is 461 incremented to 462 (the index of Bulbasaur's back sprite obviously), 266 is incremented to 267. 266 is Bulbasaur's normal palette and 267 is its shiny palette. By using the steps outlined earlier in this paragraph, you can view each of Bublasaur's sprites but with both the normal and shiny palettes. I hope that made a least a little sense.

Oof, that's not a pretty sprite. I can't tell you what, exactly, went wrong because I don't know what steps you took but it looks like something went wrong when importing your sprite with unLZ. Maybe you overwrote the sprite with some other form of data or maybe you didn't fix the pointers. I can't say for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back