• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2024
Most don't recommend using A-Text, though. I personally think it's better to use XSE when making new texts, because if you use A-Text, you are limited by the number of characters you can put in your text by the text you are replacing. However, I wouldn't recommend replacing old text with XSE either, but simply generating your own in free space.

As far as adding new text with XSE, a simple script like this is all you need to do:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
msgbox @go msg_normal
end

#org @go
= Insert new text here.\pUse XSE's text adjuster to adjust\nthe length of your text.

Another question! With Pokemon PET.
1. Someone mentioned that by changing the amount of POKEMON a trainer carries can run the offset into other trainers offsets? Why does this happen and what can happen?

2. Why is it when I change moves on gym trainer pokemon they don't save and they use moves that aren't listed, like brocks geodude I gave only rock type moves and one of its moves it used during gameplay was bone club and pound?!

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
Years
Does anyone know the offset for the palette of all the text colours in Emerald?
My normal method of using VBA's palette viewer to find the colours and then searching them with the first 2 and last 2 numbers swapped around in a hex editor didn't work this time :/

EDIT: Also I noticed that if you look really closely at the text, it uses two colours (a much lighter shade of the colour being used on top to give it more depth). And I also noticed that the palette has lots of sets of two colours (the second often being a much lighter version of the first). Does this mean that if I edit them I will have to make each of those a lighter version of what I change it to?

Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2011
Is there a complete ini for fire red in advance text.By complete,I mean every thing.Until the numbers of pokemon,pokedex entries and pokedex "Page,next"'s.

Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2024
Is there a complete ini for fire red in advance text.By complete,I mean every thing.Until the numbers of pokemon,pokedex entries and pokedex "Page,next"'s.

I don't think so. I'm working on fire red and I noticed that it has most everything. It has most of the trainers and what they say before and after they battle you. It does not have what they say in battle after you get your money. And there are other things such as when you click on kitchen sinks or looking in barrels. My suggestion is do some other hacking first. Play through it as a test, and as you go along, when you see someone or something say something you want to edit, have you advanced text already open and search it and then write to ini. Yes, it takes a while but be glad your doing firered cause leaf green in advanced text has even less already recorded.

Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2014
Is there any way of making the maximum number of pokemon in the pokedex higher? such as 493? Ive been looking around and people seem to think it cant be done. Does anyone in the world know how?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
1. Someone mentioned that by changing the amount of POKEMON a trainer carries can run the offset into other trainers offsets? Why does this happen and what can happen?

2. Why is it when I change moves on gym trainer pokemon they don't save and they use moves that aren't listed, like brocks geodude I gave only rock type moves and one of its moves it used during gameplay was bone club and pound?!

I would advice you to use HackMew's A-Trainer to edit the trainer data instead of PET.

Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2021
Question?!

Hi im new here and i just started to hack into roms. and Ive been having some trouble with scripting.

My question is , is it possible to redo the opening Oak monologue when you start a new game?

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Depends on what you want to achieve. Also, switch to fire red. It's more supported by hackers.

I disagree, with telling others what ROM to hack.
Anyone can hack whatever ROM they like, be it G/R/B/Y, G/S/C/, R/S/E, Fr/Lg, D/P/Pt, Hg/Ss, B/W, Anything.

and to gymleader2009

You'll want to get a hold of A-Text, or XSE.

A-Text is nice since you can search for text, and edit it.
XSE can edit it too, provided you give it the offset to get to the text itself.

Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2021
and to gymleader2009

You'll want to get a hold of A-Text, or XSE.

A-Text is nice since you can search for text, and edit it.
XSE can edit it too, provided you give it the offset to get to the text itself.

I have XSE. How do i find the offset for the opening monologue

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016

I've never used PET, so I don't know the answer. The only thing I can suggest is to use A-Trainer, which from my experience works very well.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2011
Where to begin

I have the basis of an idea for what I think would be an awesome version of pokemon. But I wondered whether I should write out the story first, which I was planning on doing, or learn the ways of scripting and such/looking for a team. I feel if i wrote it out first people could look at it and become interested, thus mroe willing to help.

A few questions I had were:

1) Is there a limit to the map size?
2) Can I create a completely new map?
3) Is there a way to combine the maps of kanto, johto, etc into one?
4) Any other advice I should know
5) Which gen is best for modding/coolest looking sprite wise and such?
6) whose tutorials are best?

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2016
I have the basis of an idea for what I think would be an awesome version of pokemon. But I wondered whether I should write out the story first, which I was planning on doing, or learn the ways of scripting and such/looking for a team. I feel if i wrote it out first people could look at it and become interested, thus mroe willing to help.

A few questions I had were:

1) Is there a limit to the map size?
2) Can I create a completely new map?
3) Is there a way to combine the maps of kanto, johto, etc into one?
4) Any other advice I should know
5) Which gen is best for modding/coolest looking sprite wise and such?
6) whose tutorials are best?

Start out with the storyline! because if you dont know the storyline, you dont know what scripts to write. and with a storyline, you get ideas and concepts for cities that you can map out later.

1) Yes. but you wont really have to worry about this. only if you start making the width of a map past 100 or so will make the height/length get smaller. and vice versa.

2) Yes. file->map->new Map. but heres the tricky part. once you've finished your map you dont just save it, you have to insert it. once your done with your map goto: file->map->insert map then in the new window at the bottom is Create new space:. put in what bank you want it in and your all set. for the number of reserved maps, just keep it at one.

3)this one is tricky. there have been gold and silver remakes, meaning that kanto and johto maps can fit in a rom, but im not sure if u can add in hoen and sinnoh into 1 game.

4)plan out your hack.this will definitely help u keep track of progress and help you with setting priorities in your hack.

5)Gen 3 (fr/lg r/s/e) is the most supported of all generations. i would suggest using firered because it has the hacked engine, which allows for many more things to be added to a hack. and if you learn tile inserting, u can make your game kinda look like gen 4, but a 2D version. the OWs are also better looking then ruby's, but thats my opinion.

6)there are several great tutorials. there is a tutorial thread stickied in Beginner's lounge that has great mapping and scripting ones. for spriting i would suggest Chesu's, its in the pixel art section. anything else u can find in the tutorial section.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
I have XSE. How do i find the offset for the opening monologue

Hex Editor and a Table file...

Letter in pokemon games aren't in ASCII, they are in what I like to call "Poke Text"
thethethethe's pokescript guide has a list of text values, basically, you read the text you want to edit, then map out what the text would look like in HEX, then search it in a HEX editor.

Once you get the offset, XSE should be able to edit it but not very well since it's not considered a string of text called from a script.

You're better off just skipping XSE and changing the text in a HEX Editor, just be sure to OVERWRITE, not add in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back