• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] The Pokémon Essentials Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
    It already works like that, and your code makes the quantity never appear.

pbIsImportantItem? returns TRUE if the item in question is a Key Item, a HM, or an infinite TM. These are all items that the player should only have 1 of, and so they won't have a quantity. If it's not an important item, then it should.

Your code effectively says "if the item isn't a Key Item and also is a Key Item, then blah blah", which is a logical impossibility.

You might not have defined your Key Items as Key Items, which is why the quantity is showing up for you. This property no longer depends on which pocket the item is in (as of the latest version), and instead is defined in the "Special items" field in items.txt. Berries are also defined this way now as well.

The reason for this change is to make nothing depend on the pocket an item is in, which then allows people to easily edit the pockets. This is now as simple as changing two arrays in the script section Settings.[/QUOTE]

I know it makes it so it will now display the quantity, but the key item quantity was being displayed. I have not checked pbIsImportantItem?, because I just looked through the Pokemonbag and seen why it was being displayed, and the reason why the quantity of the keyitems was being displayed is because of:

Code:
    def pbIsImportantItem?(item)
      return $ItemData[item] && (pbIsKeyItem?(item) || pbIsHiddenMachine?(item) ||
                                 (INFINITETMS && pbIsTechnicalMachine?(item))
                                 )
    end

So I changed it:

Code:
                                 (INFINITETMS && pbIsTechnicalMachine?(item)) ||
                                  (INFINITETMS && pbIsKeyItem?(item))
                                 )
    end

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I know it makes it so it will now display the quantity, but the key item quantity was being displayed. I have not checked pbIsImportantItem?, because I just looked through the Pokemonbag and seen why it was being displayed, and the reason why the quantity of the keyitems was being displayed is because of:

Code:
                                 (INFINITETMS && pbIsTechnicalMachine?(item))
                                 )
    end
    So I changed it:

Code:
                                 (INFINITETMS && pbIsTechnicalMachine?(item)) ||
                                  (INFINITETMS && pbIsKeyItem?(item))
                                 )
    end
    Your addition was unnecessary. I promise you the release version works properly. You've just done something wrong, mostly likely not including the Key Item information in items.txt as I said (i.e. you used an old version of items.txt in the latest version of Essentials).

Assuming this is the case, your change wouldn't make any difference anyway. I really don't know what you're doing, but I suggest you start again with a fresh version.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
    Your addition was unnecessary. I promise you the release version works properly. You've just done something wrong, mostly likely not including the Key Item information in items.txt as I said (i.e. you used an old version of items.txt in the latest version of Essentials).

Assuming this is the case, your change wouldn't make any difference anyway. I really don't know what you're doing, but I suggest you start again with a fresh version.

I was a bit drunk, I know I basically did the same thing but okay.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Hi when new relase will come :P? or maybe what will come in it?

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
    He's holding out till essentials gets its own section. I think this is his way of putting pressure on the mods to give them one. I dunno but he said their is alot of cool stuff in the update so just be patient...

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
    If I may make a suggestion. Perhaps you can add an event similar to how in the first generation where Legendary Pokémon could dodge Pokéballs (might be helpful for some people). It isn't a "custom" script and it adds a bit more creativity to a game. I also noticed desbrina made a tutorial on how to make a "ghost". Perhaps you should implement that as well.

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2023
    how complex can evolution methods be (like if you want to evolve a certain pokémon with an item but the pokémon had to be a certain level first and/or be on a certain map)

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
    how complex can evolution methods be (like if you want to evolve a certain pokémon with an item but the pokémon had to be a certain level first and/or be on a certain map)

As far as I know, each evolution method only allows three parameters, so you'd have to custom script an evolution to make something. However, do keep in mind that Evolution methods are cryptic enough in Pokémon as it is, to the point where I typically find myself looking on Bulbapedia to see if it's even safe to evolve a Pokémon yet. In a fan game, we wont have that luxury of researching things.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Did someone ask what was going to be in the next release? Does someone want to have a look at the pictures I've attached to this post? I think someone does want to, yes.

I am indeed waiting for Essentials to get its own section before releasing the next, um, release. I don't know how far along plans for it actually are, so I can't even decide to just release now because it won't be made for ages, because I don't know if it won't be made for ages. The idea is to use this release as part of the kick-start of the new section, and from the screenshots below, I think you'll think it'll be a good start.

If I may make a suggestion. Perhaps you can add an event similar to how in the first generation where Legendary Pokémon could dodge Pokéballs (might be helpful for some people). It isn't a "custom" script and it adds a bit more creativity to a game. I also noticed desbrina made a tutorial on how to make a "ghost". Perhaps you should implement that as well.
    I don't think there's much demand for that feature. And as you've said, there's a tutorial for it already, so it's not hard for the minority to add it themselves. I don't have any plans to add it to Essentials.

They can be as complex as you want. You could have a Pokémon that evolves between 3am and 3:27am on Tuesdays only when it is mildly happy, holding a Revive and you're standing on sand facing west with an Egg in your party... but as IceGod says, that'd be a bit obscure. Any custom evolution methods you want you'll need to script yourself.

You can only define one parameter to use in a given evolution method (e.g. level) in the PBS file, while the other parameters (e.g. which held item) needs to be part of the method itself and cannot vary. So you could make an evolution method HoldingMetalCoat, and then give it to Onix with the parameter of Level 37, and to Scyther with the parameter of Level 28. And so forth. It might take a bit of faffing around to get all the methods you want in.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
    Did someone ask what was going to be in the next release? Does someone want to have a look at the pictures I've attached to this post? I think someone does want to, yes.

I see a difference already in the berry plants and the Pokédex - Welcome additions. As for the Leech Seed effect... Does that mean essentials now works with different animations depending on the user? I notice Leech Seed doesn't work in the normal essentials.

Oh, is that a dream world ability Bulbasaur has!? That's awesome - Another thing I look forward too!

But... What's the difference about the TM-selling shop?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Correct on all counts. Berry tree graphics are in and berry planting itself has been overhauled, the Pokédex has had a bit of a facelift and now supports multiple regions, hidden abilities are now in, and it is indeed possible to define different move animations depending on where the user is (all of Leech Seed's animations work properly, meaning it's a great example).

As for the Mart, perhaps an "after" pic will help. I should probably have made it an HM or an Old Rod or something, to better illustrate the effect.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Nice work Maruno. Is there intentions to improve the Day & Night system? I'm in a situation where I'm trying to do my day & night system through eventing and time based events. However, encounters are an issue due to this.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    Maruno these updates look amazing. I've been trying to figure out a berry tree system through the use of time-sensitive events with my game, and it isn't working out too well, so I'm glad its recieving some sort of overall.

I'm also excited about the hidden abilities. Will there be a separate PBS file to edit them, or how will it work?

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
    As for the Mart, perhaps an "after" pic will help. I should probably have made it an HM or an Old Rod or something, to better illustrate the effect.

Ah, I get it now. Very clever! One time items only sell once.

My question now is about the Dream World abilities - What, by default, triggers a Pokémon getting its dream world ability? Additionally, are you planning to make any changes to the TM list to suit Black & Whites TM's? I don't know what your thoughts on that are, but I do know the would take quite a bit of work, so if you don't especially care, that's fine too.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Nice work Maruno. Is there intentions to improve the Day & Night system? I'm in a situation where I'm trying to do my day & night system through eventing and time based events. However, encounters are an issue due to this.
    How would it be improved? I know there are some old problems that have come back, which give maps the wrong shading from time to time, but that would need research. I don't know how it could be improved, though; it's all there already, isn't it?

Maruno these updates look amazing. I've been trying to figure out a berry tree system through the use of time-sensitive events with my game, and it isn't working out too well, so I'm glad its recieving some sort of overall.

I'm also excited about the hidden abilities. Will there be a separate PBS file to edit them, or how will it work?
    It's an extra line in pokemon.txt for each species, e.g. HiddenAbility=CHLOROPHYLL.

Ah, I get it now. Very clever! One time items only sell once.

My question now is about the Dream World abilities - What, by default, triggers a Pokémon getting its dream world ability? Additionally, are you planning to make any changes to the TM list to suit Black & Whites TM's? I don't know what your thoughts on that are, but I do know the would take quite a bit of work, so if you don't especially care, that's fine too.
    The Mart thing was a simple tweak (so long as you knew what you were doing), and it's a feature I really like. I'd be interested to see what can be made of it.

No Pokémon will ever get its hidden ability naturally, by default. You'd need to set its abilityflag value to 2 (currently it can be 0 or 1 for first or second regular ability). When it needs to be set is entirely up to you, and it's something you'll need to put in.

I did consider changing the TM roster to the Gen 5 one (not sure about the HM roster), and the only thing stopping me is that it'll take a while. I've got nothing against them being changed; it's just low priority at the moment.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back