• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are Americans overweight?

girliehhhhhh

safhsdjklhfsdjk;
    Years
    I've seen this issue around so why not talk about it?

I think that some people are obese or overweight but there are many americans that are average weight or under weight that are "skinny." Also, there are a lot of fast food places that are pretty much every where that are fatty foods that are cheep which pulls americans in because of the gas prices going up and all. But your weight sometimes is higher than other peoples because of their metabolism which is how fast you burn off calories. SO when we eat 1000 calories and our metabolism only burns 200 calories you gain more calories than you lose. But some people lose more calories than they gain. See how that works?

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    i actually see more people around here (texas) that are "healthily sized," if that means anything. i guess it should be noted that i live in upper-middle class suburbs, and i tend to notice more overweight people from the lower class portion of america, which is something i find curious. does anyone suppose the obesity rate could be synonymous with socioeconomic status?

Exothermic

Keeper of the Hammer
    Years
    Each person's metabolism will determine how much calories they burn. The number of calories burned also include exercise.

And no, not all Americans are fat. xD I am not American but I have lived there before; and I NEVER eat at those fast food restaurants. The food is just...eww. ^^

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    It's true that there are Americans who are overweight, but not all of them are overweight (around 60-70% percent of Americans are overweight). I think the reason why there are a lot of overweight people these days is because they're not willing to exercise, and/or they don't follow a healthy diet.

CptnSmonge

Pineapple Pirate
    Years
    I actually had to write an article for this once back in high school. But, yeah... a lot of the stereotypes are that americans are fat and stupid. That might be a pretty high amount, but it's largely individual. Biology, choices and economic position dictate most of that. The trick is not to get sucked into advertising no matter how tasty it looks. I've been about the same size and weight for about six years, maybe I've only put on ten pounds but I attribute that largely to an active lifestyle of work and farming alongside healthier choices in food. But you shouldn't go crazy on health food, you got to spoil yourself every once in a while. I'll have a Whopper maybe twice a month, but not every two or three days like a lot of people I know.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Of course we are. Go outside and look around.

Stingray

Space elves FTW
    Years
    i actually see more people around here (texas) that are "healthily sized," if that means anything. i guess it should be noted that i live in upper-middle class suburbs, and i tend to notice more overweight people from the lower class portion of america, which is something i find curious. does anyone suppose the obesity rate could be synonymous with socioeconomic status?

In many aspects yes. Middle/Upper class can afford the more expensive healther foods that still taste decent, while the lower classes are more limited on their food options.

The health/whole food stores are more expensive than your average grocery store. Also Middle/Upperclass can more easily afford things like gym memberships and exercise equiptment.

Years
    In many aspects yes. Middle/Upper class can afford the more expensive healther foods that still taste decent, while the lower classes are more limited on their food options.

The health/whole food stores are more expensive than your average grocery store. Also Middle/Upperclass can more easily afford things like gym memberships and exercise equiptment.
    Probably true. I also suspect that people who are middle or upper class have more fulfilling things to do with their time.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013

i tend to think otherwise, in the US a lot of states tax junk food, and while healthy foods can be expensive both can add up if the consumer isn't careful. all it takes is motivation to exercise, no one needs a gym membership or equipment, natural aerobics get the job done just as efficiently if not more so. honestly, i think the issue is primarily laziness and gluttony, and those happen to be traits more common among people in the lower class sector.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Overall, Americans are overweight. However, I see very little evidence of that in Minnesota. Somehow we are the most active state, despite being buried in snow for six out of twelve months.[/exaggeration]

Years
    Obesity in America is a real problem. As a whole, we aren't too healthy. If you saw what kids eat these days for lunch (partially the schools fault) and paired with the fact physical education is being cut at most schools, you'd be able to see it easily.

sabapple

Fly High☆
    Years
    Well yes, there are many overweight Americans. I myself am not overweight (... I think that I'm underweight, actually... >< ) I know many overweight people and sometimes it is just disgusting.

But many many people often go out for fast-food because it's fast and cheap. And often at grocery stores, the healthier food is more expensive than the junk. =/ My family usually never buys the healthy healthy food.... -_-;
    But yes, this is a large problem in America. Also with PE in school, in my state, PE is required to graduate but since I go to a Math/Science magnet school , the PE is VERY VERY laid back compared to my old school. =/

PE and food needs to be stepped up in this country.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    America has developed a reputation for having the most obese people, that's for sure. Kids I think actually. And it's true, as well. Here in New York, a good population of the people good do with a workout. I mean, they aren't obese obese, but they to have a bit extra poundage.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    It's because for some reason in the States healthy foods are obscenely priced when compared with sugary and fatty foods. At least when compared with the prices in Canada.

Years
    America doesn't have good public transportation so everyone drives. Since everyone has a car no one feels inclined to walk/bicycle/etc. anywhere when they can get places faster by car. And yet somehow with all this time we're saving we can't find space to cook for ourselves and we eat junk food and pre-packaged food. There's certainly genetic and socioeconomic factors, but laziness might really be the biggest one.

Years

Well, that's because junk food and foods high in salt content or otherwise have a long shelf life are the cheapest foods available, and many Americans buy these because that's all they can afford.

Years
    You know how many yo Mama is so fat jokes I can make when it comes to Americans? A lot of us are fat. We're so fat that we could fall in the grand canyon and get stuck! However, there are a lot of Americans who are slim, so we aren't that bad. Being fat is a major problem in this country. Working long hours with no chance for exercise is also bad, but what can you do when all the good jobs are being shipped overseas because of greed? The last thing anybody wants after working a low paying job is to do some exercise and just eat fast food or whatever stuff people make to eat.

More PE in schools is a must, but you got states cutting school budgets and moron people running school districts that are hurting it. Plus, some parents ENCOURAGE their kids to eat all kinds of unhealthy crap when they are young. I've seen mothers on Maury who are proud that their kid can outeat a normal person. It makes me want to slap them!

There are efforts to reduce childhood obesity these days, but there's also the problem of healthy foods too damn expensive whereas fast food is cheap and plentiful. If you're on a small budget, you're stuck with the junk food. It doesn't matter of you're lower, middle or upper class. It's a problem that might be here to stay for many decades.

Sert908

Hi guys :)
    Years
    Well, America has more money -> people can buy more food -> people eat more food. Other countries don't have our luck.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't think obesity is more common in the United States than any other place in the developed west. I know it is fairly common over here in the UK aswell. When I visisted Germany, I noticed they had their fair share aswell.

Any country in the world where the average joe can get easy access to junk food + can sit around doing nothing all the time = increased obesity rates.

Time to bring back rationing imo.

Back