• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are cheats justified?

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    I use to clone Master Balls and Rare Candies and use the Mew glitch on the original Red game, but I would also restart my games all the time. (Pokemon Stadium made it MUCH faster and easier to finish the game, so starting over wasn't a problem.)

However, since Gen. 2, I've stopped copying and restarting games. Cheating is cheating, regardless of how you look at it. You're still going around the games' programming to get something in a way it wasn't meant to be obtained. I did use the clone glitch for my Ruby and FireRed teams, but only so I could have them available on their original games and on Pokemon Diamond. (That way I could still use them on the Gamecube games, but have them for Battle Revolution as well.)

I'm concerned as to why some of you consider training and searching for Pokemon as "wasted time". That's what these games are all about: searching for rare and valuable Pokemon, and then training them to become stronger. If you cheat to get a Pokemon and cheat to level them up, you've removed the only real challenge these games have.

Years
    Cheats are fine until someone brings them into the multiplayer world. Then it's just unfair and ruins the game for everyone.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    Cheats are fine until someone brings them into the multiplayer world. Then it's just unfair and ruins the game for everyone.
    I agree with this. Cheating to catch a Pokemon, level it up, or increase its stats is your own business. But using them to gain an advantage over people who actually train their Pokemon in a legit way is wrong, period.

Years
    I'm not okay with obvious cheats like 999 stats, but I admit I did cheat once for a ridiculous HM Slave like a Sentret knowing Fly, Surf, Cut and Strength..

When it comes to competitive play, Pokesav saves up loads of time from EV training and everything, and although it's technically a hacked Pokemon, some people do it because they just don't have enough time for hours of buffing up their Pokemon.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
    Years
    I think cheats are acceptable if you're just using the cheats to get certain pokemon that you couldn't obtain otherwise. Cheating for items and stuff like that.. not really acceptable I must say. But its really up to the person using the cheats to decide if they are justified.

Years
    Cheating: Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, esp. in a game or examination: "she cheats at cards".
    No cheating please. I prefer to battle legit pokemon. Not ones you hacked to get.
    But eh, all I have is Fire Red (:(), so it doesn't effect me anyway.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Cheating takes away the sense of achievement in games.

This is basically what it comes down to, which is why there's such a big difference between what cheaters say and what non-cheaters say tbh. Cheaters either get that sense of achievement from something else in the game, or don't need a sense of achievement from the game at all and play it for other purposes. For me personally, I'm not great at games. I don't get a sense of achievement often. Pokemon is one of the few places where I can say I'm good at it and get something really good from working hard, so getting rid of the work towards it is pointless for me.

Back