• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are Dragon Types Overpowered??

Are Dragon types Overpowered?

• Total voters

GodcalledBOB

Dragon Tamer
Years
  • I think Dragon types may be overpowered as there moves are usually very strong and there isnt a dragon type pokemon in any game that you can get early on in the games...

It may just be me but, i think that Dragon types are overpowered...

If anyone else has a different explanation for why you can only get them further on in games please explain....

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2013
    Since this is in the Advance Generation section, I'm going to explain for Advance Generation. Not many dragon-types are available in-game, and all the available Dragons are pretty average power when used in-game. Now, in later generations, they do get fairly overpowered, but I don't think they are in these early generations.

Eclispe

Beginning PsyDragon Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    I think Dragon types may be overpowered as there moves are usually very strong and there isnt a dragon type pokemon in any game that you can get early on in the games...

It may just be me but, i think that Dragon types are overpowered...

If anyone else has a different explanation for why you can only get them further on in games please explain....

I don't think they are. When faced with a strong Ice Pokemon or another strong Dragon or even a strong special/physical sweeper using Outrage, Dragon Pulse, Draco Meteor, Ice Beam, or Blizzard, they fall quite easily.

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Dragons were severely underpowered back in the GBA days in my opinion.

There weren't many in general, and none were anything noteworthy.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Aaaand Dragons are in more than just advance generation games as well...make sure you look at the forums you're posting in. This section specifically deals with games in generation III (or the advanced generation) which are Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, and LeafGreen. Dragons are in all generations, and things that compare all generations go in Pokemon Gaming Central, as long as the subject is strictly related to games. For comparing Pokemon (like "What's the Best Dragon Type?") that would be Pokemon General. Ya dig???

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Considering 4 out of the 6 pseudo legendaries we have are Dragon then yes. It would seem on average the BST of Dragons seem a bit higher then the rest.

GodcalledBOB

Dragon Tamer
    Years
  • Aaaand Dragons are in more than just advance generation games as well...make sure you look at the forums you're posting in. This section specifically deals with games in generation III (or the advanced generation) which are Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, and LeafGreen. Dragons are in all generations, and things that compare all generations go in Pokemon Gaming Central, as long as the subject is strictly related to games. For comparing Pokemon (like "What's the Best Dragon Type?") that would be Pokemon General. Ya dig???

Okay, i understand. I'll remember that next time :)

I don't think they are. When faced with a strong Ice Pokemon or another strong Dragon or even a strong special/physical sweeper using Outrage, Dragon Pulse, Draco Meteor, Ice Beam, or Blizzard, they fall quite easily.
    Yes, but your saying it could be taken out by a Dragon and ice pokemon are usually quite hard to find like dragon type

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Personally, I don't think Dragons are far too overpowered. True, they learn good moves and have resistances to the elemental types (Fire, Water, Grass, Electric), but they fall easily to Ice Pokemon and other Dragon Pokemon (both of which are uncommon attacking types)

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2012
    I think that the are slightlly, but they are Dragons, and to get a GOOD Dragon Pokemon you need to level it up a lot.
    Also, most Dragon types are weak to Ice, some even 4x, which can be hard when going against the Elite Four in LG/FR.
    Overall, I'm fine with it, because I use Dragon types in my team a lot.

arbok

cobra pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I think Dragons are supposed to be this way, which is why they can't be found early on and why the last storyline foe usually has at least one. Dragon types are made to be strong that's why they're rare, they resist the starters to give a challenge.
    Dragon was meant to be the ultimate type in the first gen. Which is why there was only 3 dragons who were all part of the toughest non-ledgendary familly in the game.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Interesting... I wouldn't really say they're overpowered, but I think the fact that Dragon types are supposed to be rare and elusive might better explain why they're always found so early on. I think that Dragon types primarily have such high stats due to their main typing not having much coverage at all? I might be wrong of course! Even so, I think Dragon types are thought of as more powerful than they actually are a lot of the time. Here's looking at you, Druddigon :3

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    My level 43 Jynx was faster than Lance's level 50 Dragonite, and took it down with one single Ice Punch. You call that overpowered? Same thing happened with Cynthia's Garchomp. My Pokemon was faster, hit it once, it went down like a tree to a lumberjack. They're not that difficult to defeat.
    So no, I'd have to say they're not overpowered. At all.

Years
  • They are pretty overpowered when you use the pseudo-legendary dragons. I've got to say, though, ever since the beast of a Pokemon Druddigon was introduced, dragon types have been showing a little more diversity.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Nah I don't think they're overpowered. Things like Latios can easily be revenge killed by something like Scizor, or Gengar if it has HP fire, Dragonite is easily killed by Weavile or Mamoswine with Ice Shard if SR is up, and so on. Basically, they all fall to steel types and priority. ;x Just lock them into an outrage and you're all good. Plus, continuing, Hydreigon can be killed by Terrakion and boosted Scizor (iirc), Flygon can be 2HKO'd be Scizor I'm pretty sure, Altaria is lol, Salamence - steel, etc. Plus they're all (except the gen 4 steel/dragon legendary) weak to status aka Toxic. Just stall and you're all good imo.

I'd honestly say certain other Pokemon which are found in OU are more overpowered ;x PLUS, other Pokemon have higher attack power, for example, for special... Alakazam and Volcarona all have a higher sPA stat than Latios - the highest dragon. While for attack, although Haxorus is the highest, Conkeldurr and Metagross are still high up there in attack. Oh yeah, and Jolteon, Dugtrio, Alakazam, Starmie and Tornadus all outspeed Latios, the next in line in terms of speed. As for ubers, in terms of attack power, Deoxys-A still has more power than Rayquaza, and Deoxys, Excadrill, Groudon and Ho-Oh, as well as Arceus are in the top 10. As for sA, Deoxys-A, Mewtwo and Kyogre have the strongest power in sPA, ahead of dragons. In speed, most things outspeed the dragons in ubers.

...but yeah I'd say there are more overpowered things than dragons as a whole, it just depends on the dragon in general I'd say.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Some Dragon types have high base stats but they're not over powered, Slaking has a base stat total of 670 and that's a normal type Pokémon.. Druddigon has a base stat total of something like 470 so not all Dragon types have super high stats.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • My level 43 Jynx was faster than Lance's level 50 Dragonite, and took it down with one single Ice Punch. You call that overpowered? Same thing happened with Cynthia's Garchomp. My Pokemon was faster, hit it once, it went down like a tree to a lumberjack. They're not that difficult to defeat.
    So no, I'd have to say they're not overpowered. At all.

Your Jynx is EVd, so it will be much faster than an NPC's Dragonite. If both pokemon were naturaly leveled up from level 1, the outcome would be different.

GodcalledBOB

Dragon Tamer
    Years
  • Some Dragon types have high base stats but they're not over powered, Slaking has a base stat total of 670 and that's a normal type Pokémon.. Druddigon has a base stat total of something like 470 so not all Dragon types have super high stats.
    But Druddigon hasn't got any pre-evolutions or any evolutions so if it had an evolutionary chain of at least 2 then it would be a lot closer to the Slaking's as the Slaking has 2 Pre-evolutions...

Eclispe

Beginning PsyDragon Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    Yes, but your saying it could be taken out by a Dragon and ice pokemon are usually quite hard to find like dragon type

I said the following in my original post:

You missed when I also said it could be taken out by a strong special/physical sweeper using an Ice or Dragon Type move as such as the ones listed above in my original post. Dragon and Ice type moves are just limited to Dragon and Ice type pokemon.

Besides Dragon and Ice Pokemon aren't that hard to obtain.

Back