• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are games getting too easy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
    What, are you serious? That was the easiest Metroid Prime game in the series.

I second that, sweetie. Metroid Prime 3 Was much easier compare to it's previous installations.

I'm aware of the difficulty settings in games, but the difficulty curve in games in this generation is more of a gentle slope.

Has anybody played Contra 4? It was pretty easy to me compared to the other Contra games.

Gamethief19

That's what she said.....
    Years
    why does everybody think that these games are easier than me????? metriod prime 3, FFXII revenant wings, luigi's mansion...................................ALL CHALLENGING (notice i didnt say hard)

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
    contra 4 was alright. it was easier with a partner. other than that. not bad.

the world ends with you. ultimate. thats hard! stupid noise

and god of war on god mode. or 2 on titan mode. hard games to beat.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I think video games are made a bit easier then they once were, but only as to make them less annoying to attempt getting through; I know for one that I never got past the musical place in Rayman, but can get through every Halo level on heroic.
    Games are also getting shorter as multiplayer becomes more popular and expanded upon.

Years
    Yes, I also think that games have gotten easier.
    I remember the good old times when I played the Sonic series for the SEGA Genesis. It was hard to beat them but it was a lot of fun, too. The same applies to the Mario games.
    I think the game producers want to attract people who normally don't play games... but that's only my opinion.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I know Nintendo is trying to draw non-gamers in on their consoles and maybe to a point, the other systems (I don't really see it though). But even serious games (epics? I dunno what you'd wanna call them) are getting easier overall. It's not just the influx of casual games influencing this.
    I would say no, because I have played Phoenix Wright and tried to get every star in Galaxy. That, my friends, are true challenges.
    PW isn't that tough; I always found that even with making mistakes, the amount of "health" they give you for each trial is plenty to get you through it. As for Galaxy... that's another "extra" point. If we want to count extras in games, then it could be said that games are plenty hard. But just doing the bare minimum to complete the game? That was beyond easy in Galaxy. The game is so linear that you can't even get LOST on your way to a star and it's so straightforward that the challenge is all but lost. Any time that Galaxy was hard for me it was just because I suck at platformers. :| Getting full completion is time consuming and I can definitely see where that would be a challenge, but just beating the game? Not so much.

Darkhaven3

Jackass
    Years
    For Doom 2, back in the mid to late nineties, there was a WAD (mod) called Hell Revealed 2. It was the most difficult mapset ever made. Each map consisted of over 1000 enemies or something like that, IIRC (I haven't played in a while).

The number of enemies in one HR2 map is equal to the total number of enemies in the entire game Doom 3.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    Yeah, they are getting to easy. And here's the best way to see it. Play a game that was the first of it's series( ie: Super Mario Bros.; Metroid; Pokemon Red/Blue) and then play their remakes: (Super Mario Bros. Deluxe; Metroid Zero Mission; Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen) and you'll be shocked at how much harder the originals were than the new ones. I personally have never Finished the first 2 examples on my list, but was able to easily beat the remakes.

Har D Har

Master Mapper Supreme!
    Years
    Ok then, another example: Phantom Hourglass. That game, at some points, was crazy hard. especially in the Sea King Temple and the Ghost Ship, I hate those ones. Though I guess no game could ever come close to that of Dragon's Lair and the Ghosts 'N Goblins series.

BerserkPaladin

Has Left For GOOD
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2008
    I totally agree with you on that.

One day illegally download a few Atari 2600 ROMs, an Atari 2600 emulator and compare it to a game today. I recommend the game Kaboom! and No Escape!

No matter how bad the graphics look and how long you play it will be fun. I have been playing those games for at least 7 years and i still have not been able to beat them as most of them have no end!

I mean I still play the Snes Mario games and i have not defeated it yet (maybe from a lack of play), but still games are getting boring.

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
    Another thought has just crossed my mind, does anyone think that the games are getting easier to accomodate to the new, younger gamer? You know, those types who would throw a hissy fit whenever they lose?

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    I hate those kind of people. Games are all about challenge. That's pretty much the whole point.
    Vidjagaem developers will probably disagree.
    By having appeal to a wider demographic (ie. people who don't play games often), it'll obviously lead to more sales. That's why the DS succeeded.
    In the end, sales and profits are much more important.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
    Another thought has just crossed my mind, does anyone think that the games are getting easier to accomodate to the new, younger gamer? You know, those types who would throw a hissy fit whenever they lose?

That did cross my mind, several times, sweetie. And that really saddens me >> Games back then were challenging and mean. Back then, when you died, you had to start all over again. Now-a-days, you die, the game will kiss your boo-boo, metaphorically speaking, and help you back where you died. XD But still, back then, games did build skill.

GodSaurus

Rock hard all night, baby
    Years
    I play in the hardest settings (when I it isn't out of my reach), but sometimes, it's still not so hard as I would like to. And, believe it or not, sometimes the medium setting are moredifficult than the hard setting. Take Warcraft, for example: in the higher settings, the computer tries to maek strategies, and it's not very good at it, making it less effective, adn thus, easier for you.

God of War is a great game, but most of the combats are easy.
    However, I do find the puzzles difficult.

Btw, the next Alone in the Dark game takes the "casual gamer" target to the next level:
    It's going to let players skip the hardest parts.

Years
    It depends on the type of game like RPGs dont change, maybe action games are but they are not comparable with longer bigger better features and increase in graphics and cutscenes and all.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back