• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are Gengars really Clefable's shadow?

Years
  • Think about this. They have the same ears, hands, and feet. Wings become back spikes, hair curl spiked, and tail uncurled. Gengar is said to be the Shadow Pokemon. Is it a coincidence or did the developers do it on purpose?

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think it's just a coincidence, as far as I'm concerned there's no mention of this on Bulbapedia and there's bound to be a couple of Pokémon who look similar out of 649. Gengar is only a shadow Pokémon because he's basically a ghost.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • This coincidence is certainly creepy, but I doubt that it was made on purpose. Pokémon is not twisted, just the fans fantasize about things like that.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Please learn the difference between Pokemon Gaming Central and Pokemon General. It's clearly stated in both sections rules what the main differences are. PGC is for game specific threads that encompass all generations, while PG is about Pokemon in general. Hence the name. Moving this now.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Well on one hand I'd say it's just a coincidence, but on the other there are a LOT of theories in Pokémon which is to be expected really, and this could easily be intended. It is not Pokémon that is twisted necessarily, but adults and human minds in general that like to put in hidden stuff like this.

CyanFlame

Gotta get the sauce
    Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2012
    I just looked Gengar & Clefable up. That is incredibly strange. But instead of curls Gengar has tufts of hair (Or fur).

Guest123_x1

You know, I never, ever, thought this to be a possibility all this time. While both have similar height and weight listings, I don't see them as being similar in any way.
    However, one thing that always baffled me is Gengar's weight: How can a Ghost-type weigh so much? Shouldn't Ghost-types weigh very little at all?

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2012
    I have always thought it was a coincidence. I never thought it was anything else really.

Years
  • I neverely noticed this but anyway Clefable and Gengar are totally unrelated especially as both are fully evolved forms of Gastly and Cleffa, which look nothing alike.

Last edited:

Quixote

Pokemon Researcher
    Years
  • I neverely noticed this but anyway Clefable and Gengar are totally unrelated especially as both are fully evolved forms of Gastly and Cleffa, which look nothing alike.

They mean just comparing Clefable and Gengar. On PokeMemes, there was this one pic that compared them, and I have to admit that after I read it, my mind was blown.

Derpy.H

Derpy - The Ponymon Elite
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2013
    I, myself, think that it was a coincidence, like others have said. Then again, who knows? It could be.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    You know, unless the people who developed Clefable and Gengar tells the truth it will remain a coincidence--or better yet, an urban legend! :D

I think this is merely a coincidence but there's no telling what's the truth, so, ehh.

Doa

Analyzer
    Years
  • I can kind of see it now. Wait, aren't they same gen? It could well have been deliberate, in that case.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • By the way, Clefables are supposed to come from the moon... Gengars don't. And they are supposed to be dead Pokémon (I guess, like the other ghost types), so I wouldn't see why it would be Clefable's shadow particularly. Moreover there aren't any resemblance with their pre-evolutions.
    So, it's just a coincidence for me.

Back