• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Are players who can't afford newest games getting cheated?

Years
  • I can't afford the newest systems and could barely afford the newest games (I have up to Black 2 and White 2 but still prefer the DS Lite) and with them shutting down the Dream World for all but X and Y I have to wonder if its worth to keep playing. Never mind the fact that I know only 5 people in the whole world that also play and I stay in touch with but without the Mystery Gifts still being released for older gens and also how they come out with a new gen every couple of years making the old ones all but obsolete I have to wonder if its worth it to keep playing.

Btw I'm new here and will mostly be hanging out in the trade section since I have all the GBA cartridges and the old DS games so in a perfect situation to get all the older pokemon (also have the Game Cube games including the promo disc that gives a legit Jirachi).

Jack

ego
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2020
    Is the shutdown of Wi-Fi services for lower generations linked to the hacked pokemons?

Years
  • Is the shutdown of Wi-Fi services for lower generations linked to the hacked pokemons?

No, I heard it was because Wi-Fi was costing them too much money to hold up, apparently from the lower Wii U sales not helping.

OP: If you do have BW2 already, I still think they're worth playing today. Even with XY out, BW2 does have lots to do, so I won't say it's not worth playing. Especially if you want to get old Pokémon you can eventually send over for Bank.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • Is the shutdown of Wi-Fi services for lower generations linked to the hacked pokemons?

Absoluetly not. Gamefreak was NOT the ones who decided this, NINTENDO did, simply because the 3DS has already been out for close to 3 years now. the DS is obsolete now in thier eyes, thus they feel keeping the Wifi servers for DS & Wii games would be too costly. This will affect ALL games fromt he original DS and Wii, not just Pokemon.

Jack

ego
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2020
    Absoluetly not. Gamefreak was NOT the ones who decided this, NINTENDO did, simply because the 3DS has already been out for close to 3 years now. the DS is obsolete now in thier eyes, thus they feel keeping the Wifi servers for DS & Wii games would be too costly. This will affect ALL games fromt he original DS and Wii, not just Pokemon.

Ah i see. Sorry for the stupid question.
    Just recently got back into the pokemon scene.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    As new things get developed, we all have to adapt to them and let go off older ones. Does sound a little sad, but that's what it is. Same goes for video games. Online services may not work anymore, but if you have two DS systems, though, you could still trade between your games to complete your Pokédex and the like. Once you finally get your hands on latest games, as Crackle said, you could use Bank to move all your Pokémon over. :]

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I can't afford the newest systems and could barely afford the newest games (I have up to Black 2 and White 2 but still prefer the DS Lite) and with them shutting down the Dream World for all but X and Y I have to wonder if its worth to keep playing. Never mind the fact that I know only 5 people in the whole world that also play and I stay in touch with but without the Mystery Gifts still being released for older gens and also how they come out with a new gen every couple of years making the old ones all but obsolete I have to wonder if its worth it to keep playing.

Btw I'm new here and will mostly be hanging out in the trade section since I have all the GBA cartridges and the old DS games so in a perfect situation to get all the older pokemon (also have the Game Cube games including the promo disc that gives a legit Jirachi).

I don't think they're necessarily getting cheated. The GBA and DS games are all really great games, even without the availability of Wi-Fi.

But if you feel like it's worth it, you *could* sell some of your older games to pay for X and Y. It's not as bad an option as it sounds when you consider the fact that you can bring all your Pokemon forward into the new generation. So you could transfer all your 'mons from the advance generation (or at least the ones you care about) to 4th gen to 5th gen to Pokemon Bank. Then if you sold all the old games you might have enough to get X or Y, and you'd still have all your Pokes. It's totally understandable if you don't want to, because nostalgia and all. But it's an option and a way to keep up when you can't necessarily afford it. You can get a pretty good price for the Gen 3 games on ebay. I bought a copy of Emerald on Ebay in December for like 22 bucks.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • No, I don't think players are getting cheated. It is a business after all and as much as we would all like for the games in other generations to keep having events and being able to trade over wi-fi, it is a necessary sacrifice we have to make in order to have new games and new generations.

Years
  • Well it has been 1 and something years since b/w 2 came out. It may not look like long and I do understand why people would feel cheated but nintendo is a company. They may develop games and listen to the community from time to time but they look towards their biggest possible profit. And in an industry where Call of Honors and Metal of Dutys get a new expansion every year its only normal for companies to try and do the same for their games. Many great franchises change platforms from now and then (MonHun, Kigndom Hearts etc) but that doesnt mean that the companies are trying to cheat you , they are just trying to find the most profitable way to release their games.

Btw , I believe B/W (2) are still pretty relevant with or without the nintendo wifi. I bought a white version last week and I have to say I am having a better time with it than I had with Y...

Burakki Tsuki

Now playing Pokemon again! :D
    Years
  • I don't think they are being cheated at all it's just how the dice roll. I beleive if nintendo wanted to they would extend it but they want to cut costs sooner rather than later.

I just got back into Pokemon since stopping after Gen 3, and it's bad timing I guess on my end with the WiFi shutting down. I know there are some business reasons why the WiFi feature will be shut down but its a bit too early in my mind maybe another 6 months to a year would be better for us consumers. I'm sure with a price cut around the holidays it will make it easier for people to afford the new systems.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • If Nintendo wants to keep in the video game market, they can't just stop producing games and keep running the outdated stuff.

At this point, the 3DS has been out for 3 years now. It's not like it's really new. This is actually the 3DS's prime time. It started off really slow and I was even wondering if it was going to do well. Now that it has games to play, it's become super popular. So with the 3DS out and the Wii U as well, Nintendo really has no reason to keep services for the DS/DS Lite/ DSi and Wii. I think people seem to forget how old those systems really are. ^^

It sucks that if you got the last DS games late but I mean, if you're late to the party, then you're late to the party. It sucks but there's nothing you can do but to keep up. Nintendo won't slow down for a few people.

But to be fair, Nintendo is being reasonable in my opinion. It's not like they're Apple and they're releasing a phone every month. x3

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
    Years
  • Nintendo Wanted to close the Wifi Because it cost to much mony, And the Wii U's struggle isn't helping that's why they are closing it, End I heard they are also closing it becouse of the many Hacker's But I don't know if this is true!

Khaleesi_Zhavorsa

Queen of Dragons
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2014
    I know how you feel. I haven't been able to afford a 3DS yet. When it comes down to it something else always seems to pop up that needs to be taken care of. That said, I understand it has been some time and the cost of maintaining older systems does stack up. However, so many people do enjoy playing some of these games still and do still use the older systems so it is sad that it has to happen. Its too bad the DSs cant function off one megaserver. (Yes, I understand this would probably have a lot of issues including cost. But it would be nice for those who do play some of the older games online still.)

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • If Nintendo wants to keep in the video game market, they can't just stop producing games and keep running the outdated stuff.

At this point, the 3DS has been out for 3 years now. It's not like it's really new. This is actually the 3DS's prime time. It started off really slow and I was even wondering if it was going to do well. Now that it has games to play, it's become super popular. So with the 3DS out and the Wii U as well, Nintendo really has no reason to keep services for the DS/DS Lite/ DSi and Wii. I think people seem to forget how old those systems really are. ^^

It sucks that if you got the last DS games late but I mean, if you're late to the party, then you're late to the party. It sucks but there's nothing you can do but to keep up. Nintendo won't slow down for a few people.

But to be fair, Nintendo is being reasonable in my opinion. It's not like they're Apple and they're releasing a phone every month. x3
    If you think about it, it was roughly 3 years into the DS that Pokemon Diamond and Pearl came out, too. This is just the natural cycle of things. Pokemon waits until the new systems are well developed to release on them.

The fact of the matter is all technology has to move on eventually. It's sad to leave some things behind, but we have to do it. If you think that Pokemon games only have value so long as you can trade in them though, then you're missing out on so much. BW2 has enough content to rival HGSS! Ultimately they came at the end of the DS's life time, and that kinda sucks sure. But it's a solid game that stands on it's own without wifi. So no, I don't think people are being cheated. We still have great games, and if you really can't think of a way to enjoy the games after Wifi shutdown then just have a look around and you might find something. Spoilers: It's the Challenges Forum

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    I can't speak for others, but I don't. It's my own fault I still can't afford a 3DS, not GameFreak's. As for things getting shutdown like Dream World, I never used them anyway (I'm a really casual player); but I know other people did so I can sympathize.

Back