• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are Pokémon the "animals" of the Pokémon World or do they also have "traditional" animals too?

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I think I remember it referenced somewhere that Pokémon existed in the wild alongside regular animals, as in the types of animals that inhabit the real world. If all Pokémon, even those that don't resemble animals, are part of their own "kingdom," then where did humans come from. I mean, when you think about it, humans are a part of the animal kingdom, so if regular animals didn't exist in the Pokémon world, then how would humans exist either?

Last edited:

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
    Years
  • Weird theory that is very shaky and was just came up with now. Pokémon world was like regular world. An animal was mutated. This mutant was a Pokémon. More animals were mutated. Normal animals began to appear less because mutant animals/Pokémon were eating all of the food. People got jobs as Pokémon professors to train and find out the mystery behind Pokémon. Ta da!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    There are lots of animals in the anime - when they show "underwater" scenes, in addition to fish Pokemon, they show actual schools of fish swimming along too, for example.

Also, in the Pokedex of both games and the anime, there are tons of references to real-world animals. Raichu and Gastly's entries both infamously refer to "Indian elephants" for some reason.

These are both FireRed entries:

Raichu - Its electric charges can reach even 100,000 volts. Careless contact can cause even an Indian elephant to faint.

Gastly - A being that exists as a thin gas. It can topple an Indian elephant by enveloping the prey in two seconds.

And not to mention, the species listed in the Pokedex frequently refer to real-world animals too, like "Charmander, the Lizard Pokemon", "Squirtle the Young Turtle Pokemon", and so on, so animals must exist in addition to Pokemon, otherwise entries like "lizard Pokemon" mean nothing to them. So humans still belong to the animal kingdom, since it does exist.

The most troubling, to me, is that a lot of Ghost Pokemon entries in the Pokedex clearly state that some Pokemon used to be human. Like Yamask, who are spirits of people that are now holding their own faces. Or Phantumps, who are all just tree stumps possessed by dead human children.

So yeah, I have no clue what Pokemon actually are, they just range from "kind of like real animals but not really" to "sentient inanimate objects" and "actual dead people that other people now catch and force to battle", but in terms of "where do humans come from", since animals do exist in the Pokemon world as a separate kind of creatures, then humans still evolved from animals.

I think that's what you're asking, at least, sorry if I misunderstood. :P

Snork

My cabbages!
    Years
  • My idea is that the pokemon world is separeted from the real world, but knowledge of the real world and it's animal inhabitants are either so widely know that no one rarely bothers to mention them or so scarcely known that hardly anyone mentions them.

That or because pokemon are the main focus in the anime, real animals just aren't relevant, but it doesn't mean they're not there. Pokemon are more interactive with humans so we just see more of them

GreyVirgo

•=ØInfinityØ=•
    Years
  • It should be because when you say Ekans backwards then look at this Example:
    Ekans = Snake

Pokemon Should be related to animals like the Animals are mutated and you can refer it to this Theory.......
    Link to theory: Mutant Future <----- Click Me

Panda - Pancham
    Cuttlefish - Inkay
    Japanese Robin - Fletchling
    Snake - Ekans
    Cobra - Arbok
    Lama - Arceus? Me: WAIT WHAT?!
    3 legendary dogs - Dogs
    3 legendary birds - Birds
    Ho-oh & Lugia - Still Birds

And lotsa more.....

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • What Nerakil said, though I'd like to add that the Pokedex says a lot of things. And I mean that in the sense that I don't think everything it says should be taken literally. Some of it isn't even accurate. The Pokemon-amie alone would have to ban a lot of creatures.

Otherwise, yes, animals are still part of the regular world. It's just as more Pokemon are created, the need for them seems to disappear. They were much more commonly referenced early on. Actually, a dog and a cat appears in anime promos despite having Meowth and Growlithe readily available. As I always say, Pokemon are essentially monsters. And the one consistent thing I can give the Pokedex is that they tell you this for each Pokemon you catch. Meowth is not a cat. Meowth is a Cat Pokemon. Break that down, a cat(like) Pocket Monster. That be like asking if Digimon are real animals. Just because you may be used to the portmanteau doesn't mean the base two words don't exist. I would think the only reason why you don't see regular animals in the main games is because it's not important. Oh look, a... sparrow. Why bother when Pidgey is readily available, and much more fun?

As for where they come from, well, they change that each and every generation. Considering that retcons are almost more reliable than the Pokedex (:P), I wouldn't hold on to any definition too firmly.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2013
    I assume that there are no regular animals. In X and Y, one restaurant serves you slowpoke tail. I didn't think they ate pokemon, but I guess so. :/

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • It's been very inconsistent across the board. Pokedex entries mention real animals, yet they never show up and are rarely(if ever)mentioned by any in game characters. In the anime, I remember in the first couple seasons, at least, every once in a while real animals would be tucked away somewhere, primarily underwater. I'm not sure if that happens much anymore.

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    Real animals have shown up a few times in the pokémon animé including cows & chickens... Ash even wears a cow hat at one point. The question is whether you believe the theory that Ash entered into a coma after being hit by lightning at the start of the series & real life animals are slowly fading out of his coma addled fantasies.

As for whether pokémon substitute for real animals, there are a tonne of references to pokémon being eaten in multiple versions of the game. The Sinnoh legends speak of picking clean the bones of fish pokémon, in X&Y you eat slowpoke tail and that's before we even get to animals used in labor!

I think the real question is WHICH mentions you take seriously as all sources break canon, some trainers have said they're from real world places, pokédex entries mention real animals and the animé has featured ACTUAL real world animals & foods.

My vote is to go with the pokédex. as it's designed to be factual it's not meant to make stuff up, whereas anything told to you by a trainer is unreliable. And the animé? Pffft!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    What Nerakil said, though I'd like to add that the Pokedex says a lot of things. And I mean that in the sense that I don't think everything it says should be taken literally. Some of it isn't even accurate. The Pokemon-amie alone would have to ban a lot of creatures.

Yeah, the Pokedex says a lot of things that are either really ridiculous or just conflict with gameplay in general. Shedinjas would be killing all their trainers and Espurrs would be extremely dangerous to own. And really, Chesnaught's tackle can flip a 50-ton tank? How is it not 1HKOing everything in existence, then? But I digress. :P

If anyone's still curious about animals in Pokemon: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Animals_in_the_Pokemon_world

Animals appear quite consistently in the games, Pokedex, anime, manga and even TCG.

Trainer Evan

Loses lots, but keeps trying!
    Years
  • Pokemon takes place in Post Apocalyptia.
    Arceus, or a horrid Proto Arceus was created in a lab as a bio weapon. It became too powerful, destroyed the entire planet. A small amount of Humans survived somehow, but not much else. Over thousands of years Arceus tried to remake the world, its mechanics and its creatures to the best of its ability.

That's my theory.

Back