• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are Shiny Pokemon THAT important?

What do you think of Shinies?

• Total voters

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
  • I have no shinies. First time I ever found one was this summer, a Jigglypuff in the Sapphire Battle Tower. I had always thought this moment would be much more interesting, but I wouldn't even have noticed if it hadn't sparkled.

When I found a shiny Chansey in the Safari Zone on FireRed, I did get a bit excited, but didn't manage to catch it. I don't make a big deal out of it, really, because I usually like the normal form much more than the shiny.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    They'd be much more fun to hunt if there was an added incentive for catching them, such as having attacks exclusive to Shiny Pokemon. Or maybe entire evolutionary forms that only Shinies can achieve. Then filling the Dex would require you to go out and find them.

Merron

Hope of the Redoran
    Years
  • hehehhe

Toothache said:
    I actually think most of the shinies look horrible, but that's just my opinion. As for myself, I'm not really that bothered. It's not like I've specifically gone looking for one, but it would be nice to have one for bragging rights. Oh well.
    You're right about many Shinies being ugly, lol. However, considering how rare they are, chances are pretty even of snagging one that at least looks decent. I factor the golden sparkles into the attractiveness, though. :P

LilLatias

Name Switched to Kecleon_
    Years
  • I always seem to run into a Shiny Zubat or Golbat, and that gets annoying (brown Golbats are ugly) but I still love shinies. I don't go looking for them very often, but I have two or three times. You got to do what you can to make the game more interesting. Before the hunting shinies option came into my head, I would race around Hoenn and try to see how fast I could get around the whole place. I never timed myself, but I thought about it. I quit that when I kept getting lost around Ever Grande City and couldn't make it up to MossDeep :laugh:

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2006
    As I've seen a few people say already, the only shiny pokemon I've ever found was the Red Gyrados in Gold version. -_-

It kind of sucks that I can't find any others, but in my opinon, it's not really the end of the world and I like the games and my pokemon just fine without owning any shinies.

Pidgeot500

Homeless
    Years
  • Shinies? What's special about shinies? IIRC shiny Pokemon have DV's 10 or above in all categories... right? Maybe I'm wrong, it's been a while since I've thought about it.

Although it's strange, I recall a very small statistic--like, one in thousands--for the chance of finding a shiny. But 6/16^6 rounds off to 1/360.... I'm sure there's someone smart out there who knows the numbers.

I've played on my Gold version for 190 'saved' hours (the vast majority of which were recorded before the new millenium took effect)--trained maybe half a dozen Pokemon on this particular game pack. Never seen any shiny Pokemon besides Gyarados. ....Not one. (Of course, I've mostly played against the Elite Four.) I've got a few Pokemon with stats very close to shiny-worthy.

I'd love to have a shiny Scizor, or Heracross, or Charizard, or Exeggutor.... but, nope.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Oct 15, 2012
    shinies don't have better stats (at least i'm pretty sure they don't) my shiny gengar is still a pushover

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • In R/S, Shininess isn't like GSC where it was by DVs. All Pokemon now have some hidden random number, and if it's the Shiny number, it's shiny! This also determines Mirage Island and whatnot. ^_^

Pidgeot500

Homeless
    Years
  • Ah.... yeah, I didn't know. This was on the General Forums, so I looked at the topic and said "Hey! Shinies! I know about that!" Of course, I know nothing of R/S.... :P

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 24, 2005
    I really dont care for one. I have one which is a shiny rapidash. I use it but because its at level 87/ My friends on the other hand were drooling when they saw one!

Airiesca

Newb Rom Hacker
    Years
  • Well. Ive never seen a shiny except for Gyrados in gold. But still I would not mind having one. Im not going to spend months hunting one though.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2005
    no there isnt any thing different about shinnies expet for the differential coloring i should know i have 3 or five shinnies in gold/silver red g and shinning magikarp

in rubby/sapphire shinning ... ... ... ...lotade evolved it to its last stage, and the rest i forgot ill look at it later but i rellly wish to get shinning raikou *drool* but in my life i would like to hunt that one down till the end of time.

IceKitten

Sneasel! Ice Beam!
    Years
  • XD ^

Meh, I like 'em! ^_^

I don't hunt them down though, if I find one, I get excited, heck, I even got excited when I saw wild Pinsir in Leaf Green (not shiny XD)

Kaiorga8929

lulz.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Oct 26, 2009
    I don't mind having one or not having anyone, since having a shiny is just bragging rights that you got a "rare" pokemon.. I'm not going to hunt for it until the end of the life, but since I always train my pokemon in grass, cave, or sea areas, there might be a possibility in running into a shiny one of these days (it happened to me with the pokerus)

Neo Pikachu

Forever Gold
    Years
  • Honestly, I don't care. Actually, most shinies look pretty ugly and pale in color compared to their original form, or at least in my opinion. Sure, they might be fun to have since they're rare, but other than that, there's nothing different about them.

Drayano

Axe me a question, I dare you.
    Years
  • I don't really mind, although once I got a Shiny Drowzee in the Stadium 2 Challenge Cup Pokeball, Round 2 o.o

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    The only shiny I've ever got, other than the red gyrados, is a shiny golbat in my Crystal. I have Ruby and LG, but no shinies. I just want them to be able to brage ^_~

Back