• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Are the tutorials really that bad?

Years
  • Because I see people complain about tutorials in the 5th gen games on a constant basis. I've played them several times, and while I can understand why people think BW's beginning is slow, I don't think it's that terrible, because it's nothing new to Pokémon. And i've found BW2's beginning to be the most bearable of any post-GBA game, I mean you get your Pokémon, you fight your rival, you get your Running Shoes and everything. It's better than DP's intro, at least, if you ask me. What's so wrong with it here that isn't wrong with other games? Is the hand-holding really that awful?

Discuss.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    Eh?

I have no idea why anyone would complain about the gen 5 tutorials, but I'd suspect that it's just the people who want to complain about gen 5, so they cast about for something to complain about.

BW was... okay. It drug on a bit, but at least there was some somewhat interesting stuff going on along the way. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad, and certainly no worse than any other. Personally, I sort of liked the cheesy dramatic bits along the way - Bianca's confrontation with her dad, setting off on Route 1 in unison like it was the Yellow Brick Road, that sort of thing... but I guess I can see how that would irritate someone striking an edgy pose. Other than that, I just don't see what the problem could be.

And I thought that BW2's tutorial was brilliant - easily the best yet, IMO. You go up to the overlook, choose your starter and fight the rival battle and that's done. Then you go down the stairs and directly to the Pokecenter, get the entire walkthrough of the pokecenter, step outside, get the running shoes and the map and away you go, just like that. Go through the gate to the first route and Bianca's right there. She goes through the entire catching process, including knocking the pokemon all the way into the red first, and that's that. You're done.

What's to complain about?

Never mind - that's a rhetorical question. I know that people who want to complain will find something to complain about. But still...

Back