• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are there any Pokemon whose type doesn't fit them?

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but Gyarados can't even fly, can it?

Azurill is a Normal Type? SRSLY?
    = O
    That's crazy.

I was thinking that Drapion ought to be a Bug Type, since it's cleary a bug...
    I mean, Aaron has one, doesn't he? It's a bug, so it should be bug type. As it is, it's Poison/Dark. I don't think it needs Dark.

xX

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Sudowoodo for sure... Also Claydol should be ghost imho. Just ghost! It looks more "ghostly" than it does psychic.

KATFiSH

Rocket Grunt
    Years
    Hm... most of you already took a few of my examples... but I'd have to wonder why Solrock isn't Fire. I realize, like its counterpart, it's Psychic and Rock, which makes senses as is... but Fire, too, would make sense. O.o; With that said, it'd be pretty wicked if pokémon could have three types... >.>;

RocketAdmin.

Custom User Title. :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2011
    I agree with Palkia, Lugia and Sudowoodo - they're all badly typed imo.
    Gyrados can't be Dragon or it'd be farrrrr too good!
    :)

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    I agree with Palkia, Lugia and Sudowoodo - they're all badly typed imo.
    Gyrados can't be Dragon or it'd be farrrrr too good!
    :)

Yeah, that's the only reason I didn't vote it as such:D But it is used by infamous "dragon masters", and learns dragon rage, etc.

Scizor should be typed as crab hands. Haha jk.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Yup , that is all about .
    Also another one is Dialga . Where is that Steel type in that thingyamongy ? >_<
    On the contrary, I believe Dialga has perfect typing for itself. I can see where the Dragon type comes from and I can see where the Steel type comes from seeing as parts of his body is covered in armor-like steel. As for other Pokémon, like many have already stated, I think Azurill should have been classed as a Water type, Gyarados as a Dragon/Water regardless of it being overpowered, Lugia being Water/Flying, Drapion being a Bug/Poison instead, and also Noctowl perhaps being a Flying/Psychic type.

For Noctowl, I think the change in Normal/Flying to Flying/Psychic would have been a good difference. Plus, with its ability to learn so many Psychic moves it would have just fit easily over its Normal half.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but Gyarados can't even fly, can it?

It has been seen flying in the anime, though it cannot learn Fly in the games. (Though neither can 21 other Flying-type Pokemon).

On the subject of Sudowoodo, look at the name. Pseudo wood-o. It's not really wood, it just pretends to be a tree so it can catch its prey. It's actually pretty clever, I think, it thinks outside the box.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    Azurill. I always thought it was a water type (Marill and Azumarill) but it is a normal type. Confusing >_>
    This. I always thought Azuril was awater type until the foruth generation. I didn't pay as much attention to Pokemon like I do now.

Also, I always thought of Gyarados as a Dragon/Water type instead of a Water/Flying type.

BurstX

Some old fart
    Years
    gyarados is based on chinese dragon kites, i think. so when you think of kites you think air so fyling type seems to fit. idk.

Years
    On the subject of Sudowoodo, look at the name. Pseudo wood-o. It's not really wood, it just pretends to be a tree so it can catch its prey. It's actually pretty clever, I think, it thinks outside the box.
    Beat me too it! >.<

I believe Sudowoodo is based on petrified wood, which is hard... Because... It's petrified... That's why I believe it got the rock typing.

Water/Dragon Gyarados would be ridiculous (He's already strong enough), thank god they avoided that. <:O

Monochrome

[♠]♦]♣]♥]
    Years
    Yeah... Sudowoodois kind of like that for a reason... Its supposed to look like a shrub and be a rock.. That's heavily stated in the Pokedex as well as its disdain for water.. It was intended as an obstacle and petrified wood as well...

A typing that didnt make complete sense to me was Sneasel being Ice... It has so little do with anything ice based it always confused me... Kinda like the easliy forgotten Mawile, its supposed to be steel because of the teeth in its head mouth thingy but I mean so many other Pokemon have small elements like that as well that would make more sense... AND SERIOUSLY WHERE IS LUCARIOS STEEL??? Is it supposed to be those tiny spikes on the back of its hands?

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I didn't read all of the comments, but I can bet that someone stated Palkia and Lugia. I think it would be much more fitting if Palkia were psychic/dragon and Lugia a water/flying. After all, since when was the guardian of the sea not implied to be a water type?

And Gyarados would be much more useful as a dragon. At least it would not only add some flavour to dragon type gyms(while still being a dragon type, not a pseudo dragon like Aerodactyl), but it would also fit its myth. Just in case you guys don't know, Magikarp is based off of a carp that leaped over a dragon gate to become a dragon.

Years
    Palkia makes sense to me. It's the mascot of Pokemon Pearl. It's got pearls in the shoulders. Pearls, oysters, ocean, water. Makes sense.

What gets me is that Gastly, Haunter and Gengar are ghost/poison, but I don't see anything particularly poisonous about them. They seem like they'd make better ghost/dark types, but I guess they didn't want to change their types when Gen. II games came out.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    The Gastly family are made of gas, that's where the poison type comes from.

Hatenko

Hiya!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2010
    Solrock should be Fire/Psychic and Lunatone should be Dark/Psychic (not really perfect on opposites, but hey.)

Volbeat/Illumise should've been Bug/Electric, it just fits really well.

Empoleon's steel type doesn't really make sense in my opinion..

Kirbychuu

Chuuu!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2009
    Yanmega, Charizard, Gyarados, Azurill.. there's so many that were categorized so wrong. D:

Years
    The Gastly family are made of gas, that's where the poison type comes from.
    That's surprisingly simple. I now see the light.

Echoing the other comments about Sudowoodo: it's petrified wood. "Petr-" means stone, as in petrify and petroleum. It totally works and is rather clever in my view.

Back