• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are there differences between Gary and Green?

Wanders

PokéLover
    Years
    Are there differences between these characters? I wanted to know because some people got mad at me on my fb page about how I've mistaken them in the picture I posted. They got really aggressive on how I shouldn't have post a picture of Gary on Green's birthday ... I'm ready to learn and I do really need to hear different opinions on this ... I couldn't explain to those people so can someone please tell me ...? I'm a pokemon fan but they said because of this picture I don't deserve to be one ...

this is the picture I posted, it was from zerochan.net for the "Green (Pokemon)" serch term.

thank you everyone.

Are there differences between Gary and Green?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I thought he was called Blue in the manga. Green is a female in the manga. Gary is the adaptation of Blue in the anime.
    Hold your horses. That depends entirely on in what language or what translation of the Pokémon Adventures manga you have read. In that manga, I have always called Red's rival Green, since that's his original Japanese name while the girl is Blue.

To answer the original topic, yes there's a difference. If hardcore fans get angry about you posting pics of Gary on Green's birthday, then it's the male rival in that manga they are referring to. I don't think anyone keeps track of Gary/Blue's birthday in the games :p

Basically, there's three well known versions of him:

• Gary (anime)
    • Blue/Gary (English games)
    • Green/Blue (Pokémon Special Manga, he's called Blue in the official English translations methinks)

And since game Blue/Gary is endlessly less cool than manga Green, I would also raise an eyebrow if someone mixed them up ;) I wouldn't be angry though, I'd just point it out, haha. It's usually easy to recognize anime Gary since his hair is larger than any of the others and he sports an Umbreon or Eevee (?). Manga Green has a Charizard or Scyther/Scizor, often, and game Blue/Gary is often portrayed with an Arcanine or Pidgeot, from what I've seen.

The pic you posted looks mostly like game Blue/Gary or possibly anime Gary since 1) why would tough Green be smiling like that with loads of Eevee? 2) his eyes aren't green :)

Wanders

PokéLover
    Years
    Oh, thank you for the explanations. I'm not that of a hardcore fan but I do love Pokémon. I was careless and got some people really angry. I'll be more careful from now on and try to look into details before posting anything :)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Oh, thank you for the explanations. I'm not that of a hardcore fan but I do love Pokémon. I was careless and got some people really angry. I'll be more careful from now on and try to look into details before posting anything :)
    It's not really cool of them to get angry for something like that :p it's one thing if you'd purposely try to troll them, but if you just made an honest mistake... *rolls eyes*

But you should try and read the Pokémon Adventures manga if you get the chance, in any case. It's great and Green (or Blue if you want to call him that) is spectacular in it.

Wanders

PokéLover
    Years
    But you should try and read the Pokémon Adventures manga if you get the chance, in any case. It's great and Green (or Blue if you want to call him that) is spectacular in it.

Oh I'm searching for it now, lol!
    thank you very much, Adventure :D

Back