• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are we all secretly evil?

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2008
    Ever heard of Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad? Yes, nice book.

We would all go and loot the stores, that's for sure. A portion might become murderers, and the all of the cars in the world will be stolen for sure. Banks robbed, of course. Really, it would be complete and total chaos.

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
    of course, what would really be the point of robbing a bank if the world were lawless, why not just steal the items you would want? what good is money if you don't need to buy anything. steal it people! :D

Melody

Banned
    Years
    If there were a day where No rules or laws existed for the day i would probably Just lock my door and sit at the computer all day with a shotgun in my lap...all who entered my domain (execept family members) would be shot on sight unless they politely knocked on my door and asked permission to come in...then of they were to turn evil or start trying to take my stuff or damage it or hurt me or my brother or my dad in any way after getting in they would be shot...

Sooo basically i would protect myself and others...Chaos cannot be handled alone...

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2007
    Civilization is undisputably the root of all evil. Humans are just trying to ensure their survival.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2007
    I'd fill my car up for free since there's no rules, then I'd cruise on down to Brisbane and meet up with some people and just have some fun.

I wouldn't endanger anyones life in anyway though, nor my own.

I also wouldn't do anything which might come back to get me sometime in the future (i.e, smashing a shop etc..)

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2007
    interesting, but would you care to elaborate?
    how is trying to ensure survival evil?

About civilization being the root of all evil, I don't think that needs any explanation. It is utterly undisputable that civilization disables the subsistent way of life, which is the only non-evil one that does not have a dehumanizing influence. (Although it may be much harder to survive).

Your second question is in some deeper territory. In my view, ambitions of any sort lead to evil or harm. Some people say that renunciation of the will to live is the way to go - that death should not be feared, because this fear is the bane of love. What they are saying is, accept that suffering and death are natural and inevitable parts of life.

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
    well I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that I don't believe civilization is the root of all evil, but the evil and selfish intent's of men's own hearts.
    as for fear of death and it's connection with evil...the will to survive does not imply fear. and I don't find a will to survive to be evil, unless you live by a survival of the fittest type scenario in which you do whatever you can to ensure YOUR survival regardless of the consequences others will face because of it...which once again goes back to the point of evil coming from the selfishness of men's hearts.
    that's my opinion anyway

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I agree...The urge to survive is what causes evil...Ambition and Selfishness mixed together magifies that instinct into the evil within...some of us can control that urge...And in a way it's ok to be a tiny bit selfish and ambitious...It's what makes us dream...IMO Man doesnt start out evil...He is made evil by his environment,Influences EX:other people, and his general nature which is determined by his/her life experience...

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
    I definitely agree that the environment into which a human is born can effect his life severely, but it's no excuse. it's not impossible to lead a good life just because you were born into a bad one.
    and to clarify, I didn't mean to say we are born evil, per se, just that we all are born with evil desires. it's basic human nature to want what is best for ME.

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2007
    I actually would not consider the selfishness evil, because it is purely natural. Of course wild animals, who can ALSO distinguish between right and wrong (I believe) fight to survive -- I would not consider this evil.

Humans not only seem to have the will to survive, but the will to survive lavishly, clouded from the authentic by the artificial. The metaphoric "cloud" here would be civilization; it provides convenience for nearly everyone, keeping those in it from authentic life.

This, however, is not so bad at all. I would barely consider it evil. There is something however that is at the root of alot of evil...

Are ya ready for this?

It's Peace. The desire for peace creates alot of destruction and evil. I would not buy into the "Renunciation of the will" literally, but take it on a bigger scale: the will to have peace is what causes dehumanization and artificial destruction. What can we do? Accept that there is never complete peace -- I think, the day that there is, is the day that the universe ends.

It is civilization that is truly evil and artificial - it is meant to be the facilitator of peace and the ensurer of order.

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
    so at what point is it no longer acceptable or authentic? must we all live primitively, and if so, how primitively? at what point does it shift from survival to overly lavish?
    I'm sorry but I really can't follow the logic that lavish living is the root of evil (if I'm understanding you correctly)
    I don't believe you can classify one type of evil as the root of it all. it has to be a mental or pyschological thing. yes, overly-lavish civilization is often a bad thing, but I don't see how it is the root of evil.
    you and I have different thought processes, I can see that. I doubt either one of us will be able to convince the other of our stance. I respect your opinion, but I cannot agree with you.
    I DO however agree that true peace on earth cannot be reached by mortal means

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2007
    The lavish living thing was just an extension of selfishness, which I do not consider to be the most evil of all evils.

The quest for physical peace, however, IMO, is. However, because there will always be "evil", there will always be those who try to realize peace...

But in nature, as you said, there is no true peace. It's unnatural -- things are born and they are destroyed by something. Something always threatens existence -- the not accepting of that IS what I personally feel is evil...

Anyway, I thought it was a cool discussion we had here, I enjoyed hearing your viewpoints -- Erimgard and Poketrainer2004.

Back