• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Are you a boy or a girl?"

Years
    Which gender do you normally choose to play as? Do you always pick the character of your real life gender or do you mix it up a bit?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Most of the time, I pick girl, because that's what I actually am. :P Only time you would ever see me picking male is when running through a game for the second or third time.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
    Years
    I almost always pick my gender, male. I only pick the girl if she is super hot, because when I play Emerald or Black 2, May and Rosa are too resisting.

Tek

Years
    I'll pick the girl character unless I'm overly worried about what people may infer about me. If I'm going to stare at a sprite for hours on end, I might as well pick the prettier one.

Years
    I always choose the girl character, because I am a girl. I also admit the girl trainers have way better designs than the boy trainers, while the clothing options for girls in X/Y is more diverse than the boys.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I usually pick the boy because, well, I am a boy. Haha. The only time I choose the girl was in Diamond cause I prefer Dawn's design.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
    On my first playthrough i always pick the boy, after that i usually pick whatever im in the mood for, which is usually the female protag

Elder

Pokémon Master
    Years
    I always have played through as a girl (as I am one). I played as a boy for the first time in Pokémon X & Y.

Last edited:

Platina Berlitz

Pure bliss
    Years
    I've alway's picked Female since the option was given to us. I've never picked the boy, because I'm a girl, and it used to annoy me that I was stuck as a boy in the first two games T_T

Tox

fight me
    Years
    Generally I play as myself (male), especially on the first play-through. If I replay the games, I generally come up with a character in my head (male or female), and try to approach the game from a different angle (mono-type or some other focus).

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I usually decide my character's gender on the spot with little premeditation, but I slightly favor my own male gender, so it's typically a 60/40 split how often I choose male of female. XD

In XY however, as much as I've reset the game, I still consistently play as the male. Since my avatar is broadcast to everyone via the PSS, it would feel odd to play as the female. XD

Back