• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Are You a Boy or a Girl?

Years
  • they not gonna have custom characters in the remakes?

makes sense to have brendan/may as the options, but can you change their clothes/hair?

Hasn't been confirmed yet, so right now it's up for speculation! In fact, there's a thread about it here where you can discuss character customization and wardrobe. I hope it does get added in, because it would be fun to dress May up in different outfits, and see what Brendan would look like without his signature hat!

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
  • Brenden looks...odd now. I don't know what it is exactly, but something about him. Maybe it's that we can see his sideburns now? I guess they wanted to stamp out the misconception that his hat is his hair.

I guess I'll play as Brenden, since May looks really awkward with that hair. As long as they don't pull a X/Y and give me less options for clothes since I'm a boy.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Defective

defectiveShrink
    Years
  • I'm thinking about choosing to start as May since I like her design better and my current file in Y is a boy. Not a definite answer yet. I have a feeling it will depend on if the character customization feature comes back.

Hao

The Spirit King
    Years
  • I'm female myself so, probs gonna play May :3 I've played females in pokemon since Crystal so I don't think I'm gonna break that trend anytime soon! xD

@Gym Leader Mark: LOL I didn't realize that! Good eye! xD (Also ROXAS! <3 KH for the win!)

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    I'll be using Brendan on one and May on the other, as I have been doing since DPPt (except for HGSS).

Heir

/EYES SUSPICIOUSLY
    Years
  • I usually play the male character, unless upon getting into the game the sprite looks bad, but I'm not too worried for OR/AS. I will be playing as Brendan!

Years
  • On this occasion I could be either a boy OR a girl lol as they're both two of my favourite protagonists :) I'll probably start things off with May as she's my real gender and it'll make it more realistic but I hope to have a playthrough as Brendan as well at some point :)

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    I am probably going to end up choosing Brendan of the two.

May is really adorable though, especially with her redesign.. but I think naturally I feel more comfortable choosing the male character. It just sits a little better with me, ya know? Haven't been feeling particularly girly as of late. Also dat tan. :B

pokenavkev15

Champion of_____ Region!
    Years
  • I honestly don't know, I used Brendan in Sapphire, and I am getting Alpha Sapphire. I've never chosen the female counterpart, maybe I'll decide later on this year.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • Both, haha. I'll play as Brendan in Sapphire and as May in Ruby. I really hope customization makes a return because I'm not very fond of the new wetsuit like style of the clothes. Although it will probably grow on me after a while.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • I always choose my actual gender, so I'll be female as per usual. I tried playing as Lucas once in DPPt and I thoroughly regretted it :\ Blargh. Sprite was awful.

I don't mind Gold in HGSS, though :) but I still chose Lyra's sprite lol

nikkissippi121

Pokémon Professor
    Years
    • Age 29
    • they/them
    • Maine
    • Seen Sep 2, 2022
    Since Gen III, I've always played through my first game as a female with my own name, and the other game as a boy with whatever name I think of (usually the default character name, but not always).

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2020
    i might play as a girl if character customization comes back, but i'm not sure. it depends on the clothes, too

if it doesn't, ill play as a boy

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I've played the boy before in the original RSE; now I'm planning to play as the girl, but because I can't pick Torchic due to being uber, I dunno if I should play as the boy again.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I'm not sure! D: Emerald Brendan is my favorite designed male protagonist, yet ORAS Brendan doesn't impress me, at least in his default outfit. I want to see how Brendan will look after customization--not to mention have an idea if boys have more customization options this time around--before making the call.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I typically play as the guy, but I can see why people would prefer to play as May than Brendan and his silly white hat (or hair as I used to think as a kid). Brendan does look a lot better here than he did in Ruby/Sapphire so I will be playing as him. I always found it weird how Hoenn was such a bright tropical beachy sort of place, but Brendan looked like he was dressed for skiing.

Back