• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you a boy or a girl?

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    After seeing how male trainer look in the game, I think I've made my mind for now, I'll pick male first since I'm digging into his blue clothing and design, and because that's what I am. However, like in my current tradition which starts in X and Y, I would play as the opposite gender when playing the other version of the game.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I really like the female's design. I am almost 100% sure that there will be customization. I will probably play a boy in the main game and then play as the female in the second version I get.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Xin ZhaoYun;9234811 Oh and I'll safely assume they might be as old as the gen 5 and 6 protags (being teenagers) so that's all well and good.[/QUOTE said:
    Still underaged to be claimed as someone's husbando/waifu.

The new girl definitely pulls short hair better than Serena (yeah, I'm still bitter about that), so I'll have to pick her over the boy, depending if my brother plans to get either two versions.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Slightly disappointed with the female protag, not a fan of the short hair style tbh. The male on the other hand looks much cooler, I'll definitely be choosing the male protagonist in my first run.

Years
    Female protagonist's design fits the region so well, and her hair is around close to the length of my own hair. So yeah, still going to be the female as I usually do.

*hopes for adorable as hell fanart*

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I hope we get some more light hair color, hoping they at least added a silver color and not just brown, black, blonde shades.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
    I've never played as a female trainer before, but I do like her design.
    Odd how I'm seeing the consensus in this thread is not liking her design lol maybe it's because I haven't played as a girl before that I like it.
    Unless it's an RPG with a unique character (established name, backstory, personality, etc. like FFXIII), it's a little odd for me to play as a female, I guess because I don't identify as one? Though I have role-played as them before (and still do. As a writer, I'm trying to learn different identities to portray them accurately).
    The boy is just...too Pokemonish. By that I mean exactly what everyone else has said: he looks completely interchangeable with the last few protagonists.
    I'm considering getting both versions (which would be a first for me) and play as one gender for my main version (barrel through for the story) and the other gender for my other version (explore the hell out of Alola).

Years
    What is that girl wearing on her head? Why so many bobble things? I hope we can change that if we get clothing customization. But still, liking the rest of the design and will probably go with her because, again, the boy is too plain looking.

Years
    Girl in my first playthrough, but after that it depends on my mood and on how far the trainer customisation goes. If it's like XY I'll be picking a boy on my second playthrough, but if it's limited to the skin colour, it'll depend solely on my mood at the time of starting!

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Male protagonists continue the tradition of being too plain. Girl is really cute, though. I'm all for her.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I'm sorry but I think these are the most bland, uninspired protagonist designs we've ever gotten. The boy is so boring it's painful. And the girl's .......hat??? looks like a slug. I would be able to forgive her hair for looking like an octopus if her ..........hat?????? didn't look like whatever it is Tierno has on his head.

I mean I'll still pick the female character because I always play as the female. But ................Arceus please let legit customization be back!!

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    I'm still picking male since I am a male irl lol. But looking at the trailer, I am a bit worried that I wouldn't be getting my wish of getting a decent female protag. ._. It's because in my personal opinion BW1 had the last decent female protag(or at least the last one I liked) It's not that the newer female protags did anything, But as of now, I have my fingers crossed.

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    It depends on the time of when I get the games.. Since I'll be getting both, I'm probably gunna do one male and the other female.

Elekizer

Lover of Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2016
    Well I always choose the same gender just because it says on the manual to choose the same gender as you but then again who reads manuals anyways. {XD}

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
    I don't think changing your gender is good;-) and i've been choosing a male character since i played Red, so, i am gonna go with the male one.

Back