• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you a closeted poke-fan?

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
  • I guess I'm lucky since basically 90% of my rl friends like to play pokemon. the other 10% are mostly neutral or have been exposed to other stuff like dragonball-z so they don't care about pokemon anyways.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • Well I typically don't tell people I like it unless they tell someone or me. But I've found that the people who tease other people for liking it actually like it themselves. They are just under pressure for liking it.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    The way I see it now (and I'm 20), I don't go parading around saying that I like pokemon but if anyone were to say anything I wouldn't deny it either. When I was younger (about 13-15) I was bit nervous/embarrassed about it....not to the point that I'd stop but to the point where I'd be eager for nobody to know. I don't really care now, if somebody wants to act weird about it that really isn't my fault.

There's a guy in my class at college, I noticed he was looking at a pokemon website one day...not sure what to make of it.

You know, pokemon fans probably need to develop more of a backbone. If we all started dissing Call of Duty I'd bet most of it's fans would all bite back and not shy away all embarrassed. If you act embarrassed you're only feeding the idea that pokemon is for babies.

Ausnick, if they want to ridicule you. Let them....what's the worst that could happen? A few weird looks maybe? Some sniggering? Is that so painful? Is that not something you can get over? At least you'll be safe in the knowledge that you're not ashamed to like what you like. That's more important than being "cool".

Last edited:

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
    Years
  • I'm eighteen, in college, and an open Pokemon fans. I check my Pokewalker in between classes, I'll even break out my DS every once in a while, and I talk to my friends about Pokemon very frequently. I have something of a reputation among my friends as being the girl who plays Pokemon all the time. I don't try to hide my love for Pokemon, and I'm certainly not ashamed of it either. :D

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I think everyone that knows me knows I am a fan of Pokemon. There are still lots of people at my school who play, so it's not at all uncommon for people to be bickering about what Pokemon is best in the hall, or sneaking a check of their PokeWalker in class. Nobody really gets harassed about it.
    I don't like... broadcast my love for Pokemon, but I talk about it a lot.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Pretty much all of my friends know that I enjoy Pokemon. I go on PokeCommunity at College, Play the Pokemon Card Game... the list goes on. At my college, there really isn't a need to closet it, and if I did I wouldn't have gained the friends that I now have there.

Edsbob

TECHNOLOGY TODAY IS INCREDIBLE
    Years
  • I wouldn't say I'm a closet fan, but I suppose I don't talk about it too often. Good friends of mine just happen to also like Pokemon. I suppose I almost got insulted at school once in a 'You still play Pokemon? The new gen sucks!' sort of way. I just replied 'I like Pokemon, if offers many things other games don't. It's fun. Plus you've never even played fourth gen. No shame, more game.'

The next thing I know is that he's playing Pokemon (the older versions) again. And he's probably spread it around too. I think many people try to tease you in a half-assed manner because they fear persecution too. I know they want to play Pokemon, secretly... Hahaha.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I go to a secondary school and get dissed for liking pokemon. I get put out of groups and get attention when I don't want it. I wish they would forget that I'm into it. :( I now hide my liking for the series and try to keep it out of my mind when I'm near people my age, with the exception being other people into Pokemon.

Years
  • I am not a closeted fan. I mean, my Facebook profile picture is an Espeon, so if you can't tell I'm a PokeFan from that, then you probably aren't even aware Pokemon exists. XD I'm not a closet fan, either, though it's not something I outright tell people, simply because that takes effort.

Molts

Novice Breeder
    Years
  • I couldn't call myself a closet fan, it's not the very first thing I tell someone I've never met before, but when they inevitably ask me what games I play, its the first one I list. Being quite a large part of my entertainment my whole life, I'm definitely proud to be part of the community of other fans. XD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2015
    lol, that this sounds very cool... all this is the first gaming community i've been a part of where there's no shortage of female gamers.. woo ;)

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    People are just stereotyping... I hate it when someone tells me what to like. So what I do is I just don't care to what they say and continue what I do. Denying and hiding it doesn't help either, its a part of you and always will be. To hell with them, "mind your own business" - I used to tell them that.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    Of course I'm a closeted fan.
    You see, in my school, unless you do any of the following:
    • Go to all the parties
    • Play football
    • Watch the same crap that everyone watches
    • Play CoD, MWF, or any first person shooters

You're pretty much hated by the entire damn school.

Years
  • It would be social suicide for me to tell people that I play Pokémon. I'm primarily on this site because I can speak about it freely without being ridiculed or hassled and that's how I intend to keep it, private.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I think this screenshot speaks for itself. :)

Are you a closeted poke-fan?

Also, the avatar I have right now is my profile picture on Facebook until I get bored of it... so.

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
    Years
  • Whenever someone tried to ridicule me for liking Pokemon, I kick their ass. Not afraid of ridicule at all, it just pisses me off.

Anyhow, I play pokemon and like it and all, but I wouldn't call myself a freak about it. I enjoy the main pokemon games, but I don't really think of much things other than that. As in, collecting Pokemon stuff, playing the card game, watching the crappy cartoon pokemon has, etc.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2015
    Of course I'm a closeted fan.
    You see, in my school, unless you do any of the following:
    • Go to all the parties
    • Play football
    • Watch the same crap that everyone watches
    • Play CoD, MWF, or any first person shooters

You're pretty much hated by the entire damn school.

wow, that blows pyrax! it sucks to see that kids will never change =(

and to the guy who mentioned it would be a social suicide to confess your love of pokemon, LOL... don't feel too bad :)

EPikachu

ROBLOX Elite Four #3
    Years
  • Wel as i harcore battler i can understand most peoples pain :(.
    Like the other post unless you do "Popular things" at school youre
    probably hated. Course i just let them role but my other friends who play it
    just like to "flip them off" XD. But you know. Hater gonna hate.

Back