• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you a closeted poke-fan?

Years
  • I'm not. I used to be. I used to talk about Pokemon, saying I used to be a fan when I was younger. But now I'm older, I can talk about the newer generations as well. :p I tell people I bought the newest Pokemon game, and stuff like that. I go to college, and I think Pokemon is generally accepted in colleges? Probably because people in college are more mature and they learn to accept others even if they don't live life your way. Of course there are people that don't like it when you talk about it. But that's different, they're not hating or anything. =)

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    OK, so I know some people at my high school who have mentioned Pokemon and even that they got the new Black/White games. In fact, one time, someone had his DS out openly and was playing Platinum in the lunch line. If it comes up in conversation, I'll say small things like, "Yeah I just got Pokemon White."

But if I admitted that I like it this much (considering I'm on this forum), it would probably be socially devastating. I personally think there should be no problem if people like what they like, whether it's Pokemon or Call of Duty. But even if most people feel that way, no one's going to admit it, because of the social norms for teenagers and adults.

I mean it's not like I'm going to let people know I love doing Nuzlocke challenges and drawing Pokemon art.

Long story short, I'd be more open if everyone else was.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    People know that I play pokémon...they don't know just how into it I am.

ElectricScyther

The lessons we learn
    Years
  • I have never told any on of my friends I like pokemon. Seriously, I've nearly had heart attacks when people from my school bring the subject up. Like at lunch last year, one girl had a stack of pokemon cards, and people were laughing at her. I remember I turned away to hide my red face and shaky hands. I was like, "Oh crap, what if they do the same to me?"
    Since then I haven't told anyone at all about my love of Pokemon, and I guess I never really talk about it outside of my home. But hey, that's why we have this forum.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • I have never told any on of my friends I like pokemon. Seriously, I've nearly had heart attacks when people from my school bring the subject up. Like at lunch last year, one girl had a stack of pokemon cards, and people were laughing at her. I remember I turned away to hide my red face and shaky hands. I was like, "Oh crap, what if they do the same to me?"
    Since then I haven't told anyone at all about my love of Pokemon, and I guess I never really talk about it outside of my home. But hey, that's why we have this forum.
    Just say you know some 20+ years old people who play ;). And I'm not mentally retarded =D!

It's so funny. Yesterday, I was waiting for my last final exam with a friend and overheard a guy who said "You know... when I wake up in the morning and notice no one's home... I watch Pokemon!!!!". I was like LOL. I wouldn't brag like that, but still that was really funny.

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    Eh, there's no problem for me really. It's not like I'm the only one in my class. Nearly all of my friends play Pokemon too. I've never seen anyone ridiculed for liking it before. (Then again, I don't know many people outside of my class.) But I don't think anybody in my class would bully somebody else because they like Pokemon. My class is full of crazy people.

...also known as and acknowledged by all the teachers as the most immature class, EVER.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • Nope :3

I where my pokewalker all around campus, I where pokemon apparal often and I am on this site right now in the busiest computer lab at my college xD

I am not closeted at all. I love pokemon and I am not afraid to show it. I am known as a pokenerd and I love it <3

Years
  • I don't outwardly bring it out in conversation, but if I'm asked, I won't deny it. I like to make a joke out of it if I'm made fun of.

Raiskit

[ e v i l l i g h t ]
    Years
  • I don't show it off or anything; but I don't try to hide it or anything. I'll talk about it in public, but only if I know for sure that the person 'm with won't ,like, say it stinks or something.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • It's odd to think that back in the R/B/Y days Pokemon was uncool somewhere. In my area, everyone who was anyone was playing Pokemon. Even high school kids and adults! People in my area were bullied if they didn't play Pokemon. lol

Still, nowadays, it isn't so cool here any more, either. You're not bullied for liking it, though. It's just more of a "You're a nerd." type thing. I don't outright tell everyone I meet "I like Pokemon," but I don't hide it, either. There's this one GameStop employee that plays Pokemon, too and whenever I have any questions about the games, I go to him. But other than that, I don't know anyone who really makes a hobby of playing the games. My sister does occasionally, but not as a 'hobby'.

Like I said, though, I don't hide that I play it. If someone sees me playing my DS and asks me what I'm playing, I'll tell them "Pokemon." I see no reason to be ashamed. It's just a hobby. Besides, I have a Neopets account... if my friends don't make fun of me for that, why would they pick on me for playing Pokemon, right? lol

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
    Years
  • At my school (it's a high school, mind you) a great majority of the students like Pokémon. When HGSS first came out, everybody was walking around with their good 'ole pokéwalkers. Last year during the rallies, even one of the themes was Pokémon! So yeah, I'm pretty open about it, haha.

Me: *screams out loud to my friend* HEY YOU, YOU'RE BATTLING ME TODAY AT FIVE. SINGLES. NO UBERS.

xD

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    At my school (it's a high school, mind you) a great majority of the students like Pokémon. When HGSS first came out, everybody was walking around with their good 'ole pokéwalkers. Last year during the rallies, even one of the themes was Pokémon! So yeah, I'm pretty open about it, haha.

Me: *screams out loud to my friend* HEY YOU, YOU'RE BATTLING ME TODAY AT FIVE. SINGLES. NO UBERS.

xD

Wow. I wish my school was like yours XD

One time that same person who was playing Platinum in the lunch line taped a bunch of Pokemon cards to someone's locker XD It was pretty funny, actually, and no one really said anything mean. So it's not that bad; people don't bully others or anything if Pokemon comes up.

Leany

Totally not an alien
    Years
  • I was a closet fan for quite awhile, but when I started wearing my pokewalker out in public, there was no going back. XD

The people I talk to about it just usually smile at my "childness" and move along with their day. Luckily, I've never had anyone tease me for it. c:

Crystalized

Waiting For RSE Remake
    Years
  • I actually feel really bad because most of my friends pick on the nerds that do play Pokemon, and a few weeks back my friend stepped on somebody's Pokewalker. So nobody execpt me knows that I play Pokemon, which is nice.

Years
  • Yes and no. Like most hobbies, I'll willingly admit I'm a fan to those who ask or care, but I'm not going to act like a fanboy and constantly bring it up, praise it, whatnot. I'll play it in public too, but I won't like make a big deal to try and show everyone.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • I'm definitely no closet poké-fan. Back when I was in my last year at school, I would take my DS to school all the time and play it in the middle of classes, and other people wouldn't care. In fact, some people would join in.

Gee, my last year of school was great. I even did a school project on Pokemon. :D

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • Not at all. Everyone knows that I play Pokemon anyway, so it's not a big deal for me anymore. If someone asks me if I play Pokemon, I won't hesitate to say yes. There was a phase when I was very self-concious of everything I did and I wouldn't really tell the world that I played Pokemon, but now I'm pretty embracing of myself and my interests. :3

Soul Eater

→ w e a p o n.
    Years
  • No, I'm not. I'll bust out my DS while on break at work, and play Black, with the sound on. /no shame

All of my friends know, and also most of them play it themselves.

Years
  • See, there's conflict.

My closest friends know I play Pokemon, and my other friends don't. See, my school is very bully-free and people don't ridicule, and they're very good to husky people like me. :3 And there's this cool kid who's no closet fan, and he even wears Pikachu t-shirts. I know other kids that like it too, and even if I don't know them, I see it in their activities and even clothing. I was in luch detention (ooh, naughty) and this one girl was giggling, cause my teacher had a class then, and she asked me--wait for it--if I wanted to see her Pikachu. I was like "Uh...ok." But anyway, she's a cool kid, apparently, and she is NO closet fan either. But my friends that are, like, WAY up there in the food chain (and I even have direct links if I didn't have any friends there; my Mom--*red lights and sirens*--knows everyone's mom. And I mean it), and because they, they being my "up-there" friends, kinda look down on open fans--not that they're mean, just...unconvinced of it awesomeness. So I has a dilemma. But I'll figure it out. I've done it before. And before I go...

...POKEMON FTW!!!11!1!11!!! :cer_boogie:

Back