• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you a Completionist?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Are you a Completionist?

By the term 'Completionist', I mean, do you like to try and do and complete everything in your video games, so that you will technically finish it, 100%? Like, say, you try and unlock everything in certain games, like, unlocking all of the fighters in fighting games, or, if you would like to try and get some of the titles, or conversations, or other things that you can get from certain JRPGs, like the Tales series? Things like that.

Are you a completionist, or, do you like to complete and unlock everything that you possibly can in your video games?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I "try" to be a completionist, but for some games it's utterly impossible to do. I'm not the kind of person who will buy a game instantly when it comes out as they're way too expensive, so it's really hard to get some achievements when they're multiplayer based. I think it adds a lot of fun to the game when you try to get all the achievements, as you probably wouldn't play the game on the hardest difficulty otherwise.

And yay, I'm a Legend :3

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Slightly. I'll only go the extra mile to fully 100% for games I really enjoy. That's not to say that I just complete the game, and be like "yup, done playing this game". No, I'll try to complete all if not most of the optional sidequests/stages, but I'm not going to be doing some of the more tedious things like collect all of the "types of snakes!", or collect all the "titles!". The most I probably do for games is probably 80-90% complete them.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • I generally will go the extra length to do a 100% complete of every game I play, but it gets hard when you have to do things via multiplayer, especially online. I generally avoid multiplayer games because there are some things that you're only allowed to get through multiplayer modes. Pokémon is the only one I haven't had issues with doing this, mostly because I own a few different versions of the portable systems as well as talk to some people who have no problem helping me do things like complete the Pokedex. Otherwise, I can usually pull off a very successful 100% complete in most single player games.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Not really; I'm just not that type of person. I play games only for their story, and once I'm finished, I'm simply done with the game as a whole. Sometimes, I don't even get around to finishing the story, sadly. Not sure why, but I guess I just run out of interest? XD" It's definitely a bad habit, though, because spending money on games you're not planning to play is a waste, y'know? Last time I ever tried completing a game 100% was in Pokémon Emerald. I was done with everything, with Pokédex being the only exception. Was pretty close to finishing it, but couldn't get it done in the end, unfortunately.

Years
  • Basically like Peitharchia in terms of my completionist mentality. Honestly, I try to get that 100% because collectibles, job classes, etc. are quite important to me within the game otherwise they wouldn't include it, at least that's what I'd like to think, but in reality they probably are just additional elements that add replay value. Normally I try to get as close as possible to 100% through the first one and that's generally why I use walkthroughs for every story-based game, especially the JRPGs. Once I'm finished with them, the story and overall gameplay experience has to meet a certain standard in order for myself to feel obligated to play through it again. I'm not the type to replay games, but I do have a completionist nature.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I am a completionist at heart, but not in practice. I will complete some things, like Heart Pieces in Ocarina of Time, but I won't do other things like Gold Skulltulas. It depends on the game, the difficulty and tediousness of unlocking or hunting things down, etc. Jak and Daxter, for example, sure, I'll hunt all the Precursor Orbs and Power Cells. That's easy enough. Twilight Princess...not about those Heart Pieces, considering it's the largest amount to collect out of all the Zelda games. But the bugs? Sure! Jobs in Bravely Default? The more the merrier! Let's check'em all out! Recipes in Tales of the Abyss? Ugh, pass. Bye. I really hate how some games recently make you collect certain things in each level though. It's one thing if it's a big quest game, like Jak or Zelda, but level based platformers like Return to Dreamland and New Super Mario Bros...I don't feel like collecting all the gears and big coins. :|

So yeah. It flips flops. I usually don't 100% the whole game, but there's something aside from the story that I'll 100%.

Years
  • I very much am a completist.

For that reason, when games give little incentive for completion, it's a real deduction off the score I'd give it.

Games that work best give worthwhile rewards. The best example is unlocking characters, classes, customization content. I mean, it's just exhilarating.

Though, some tasks are tedious. Like collecting little achievement tasks. No.

Or, like the Sevii Islands...where is the fun objectives and rewards? However, no one can deny the Battle Frontier set a nice precedent for post game tasks that felt rewarding.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • Yes, I am quite the completionist. Everytime I play a Pokemon game I pick up every item and beat every trainer etc. Right now I'm in a sort-of race with EV to beat A Link Between Worlds hero mode, but I keep getting sidetracked with collecting heart pieces and saving all of the Maiamai.

I'm also in a playthrough of Fire Emblem 7, trying to beat Hector Hard Mode again. I *always* play Lyn's story (it's completely skipable), get Nils to lv7 for the bonus chapter, get all of the items etc. I had to restart cause I missed a bonus chapter and I didn't feel right continuing. It's a real problem. >.>

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Yep, obsessive one.
    I can't stop playing the game until everything is completed.
    I have the same stance to online achievements as elheroeoscuro, I also don't buy games immediately so sometimes I buy an old game that has already closed online servers so online trophies are unavailable.
    But if it's fully offline, I tend to finish everything.

Just checked my trophy card, I have ~80% completion overally.
    Are you a Completionist?

TY

Not really, I dont go for the full 100% always but on a rare occasion I just do it for fun. I only have 100% with Far Cry 3 which I am totally fine with. However I completed every game I have in my hiatus... So i may be one now XD

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • Well to be honest, every game I play, I try to finish it, every single secret, stage and collect all of the achievements, awards, and trophies. I have a severe OCD when it comes to this sort of thing. RPG's is usually where it is most active, I just start collecting every single thing that is obtainable.

Years
  • I am a completionist at heart, but not in practice.

This is probably the best way I would describe myself as well :P It depends entirely on the game because unless I find the whole game enjoyable, main story along with the sidequests, I probably won't be 100% completing.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • For me, it also depends if there's an incentive out of going out of your way and going the extra mile in video games. Will the benefit pay off greather than the time and effort put into it, I guess is what I'm saying.

Essentially if there's Gamerscore involved in it, I'll go for it. What can I say, I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff xD

Years
  • It depends. If I like the game, I'll at least try to finish it 100% (i.e. getting platinum trophy in PS). Otherwise I just stop playing and stop thinking about it. However in certain occasions I came back to finish them. (one example was FE: Awakening)

It's not been the case for Project Diva f, though. I only have one achievement left but I've been delaying it for eight months because of my laziness and reluctance to get back to it and repeat same songs. I hope I can get that platinum this summer.

Years
  • Only when it comes to pokemon and mario games. I used to try and do it in other games though. I remember getting 99% in the first jak and daxter game, I couldn't get the other 1% because of a glitch that happened that wouldn't let me beat this one guys time that you were racing. It glitches at 1 second and you couldn't even hope to beat a 1 second race time around the "track". After that, I said to heck to with trying to finish a game completely.

Guest123_x1

Generally, I do everything I can in a video game to get the gameplay as complete as possible. This means looking into every accessible area, picking up just about every item available, and getting rid of all the enemies. I know, I'm a bit obsessive at racking up as many points as I possibly can.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    I really love doing everything possible in a game, but if I find myself getting bored I'll put it aside and "work" on something else until I'm in the mood for it again.

I never drop a game forever like I'm "done" with it, you know? Even games I've beaten 100%. Seems like a waste.

Years
  • I'm really far from a completionist, I usually complete the main objective of the game (so E4 in Pokémon for example) then either move on to multiplayer or sell it. I don't get much fun from going around collecting stuff to be honest.

That said apparently I'm a legend. :P

Back