• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are You A POKeSexist?

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
  • In the dawn of new age of POKeMON, gendered species were introduced for mating and breeding for stronger POKeMON in strategic ways. However, has anyone ever felt... uncomfortable catching a male/female POKeMON.

I mean, we see Trainer's in-game who if male, generally have a team of male POKeMON and vise-versa for female trainers as well. For the longest time I felt I needed to emulate and to prove that "Hey, I was a guy-trainer." Now, with all these new additives such as natures, me strictly looking for a Male POKeMON was just one more thing I needed to worry about...

So as of today, I now am unbiased when it comes to catching any POKeMON. If it's the POKeMON I want and the nature that I desire, I could care less if it was transgender.

I digress, are you same, or do you not give a HOOTHOOT about what gender your POKeMON is when raising a battle team?

Post-Script

The only POKeMON to this day I cannot stand having female is GEODUDE, reasons should be obvious, but I don't feel like changing the nickname to GEODUDETTE then reverting back when she evolves into GRAVELER.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I have never once cared about a Pokemon's gender. Even for breeding purposes, I have a Ditto that stays in the Pokemon Center for that so it doesn't matter if the Pokemon is male or female.

Skitty1

Highlight my signature :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2012
    ^Well I disagree with you when you say...

You said:
    I mean, we see Trainer's in-game who if male, generally have a team of male POKeMON and vise-versa for female trainers as well. For the longest time I felt I needed to emulate and to prove that "Hey, I was a guy-trainer." Now, with all these new additives such as natures, me strictly looking for a Male POKeMON was just one more thing I needed to worry about...

Not true - not for me any way. I prefer to have mixed gender Pokemon but certian Pokemon I like better in female than other. Like I like female Skitty over male Skitty - though with Skitty: 25% male, 75% female the majority of them are female (source: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Skitty_(Pokémon)).

So to conclude: if I prefer having a female Skitty over a male does that make me sexist? of course not. If any thing you should be looking into babies being killed/aborted because they were not male...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gendercide#Femicide
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex-selective_abortion

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • It doesn't bother me much really. However, in my Black 2 team you see in my signature, only one of them is female, and it happens to be a Pokemon that can only be female, Lilligant. I didn't plan on it, but starters are mostly male, hidden hollow Pokemon are mostly male, Riolu and Eevee are mostly male and have a 5% encounter rate, so I took what I could get, and even Growlithe is mostly male. I went into the game without a planned team, but this is just what happened. Though I normally come out with half and half of each, or maybe 3 female, 2 male, and one non-gender or something similar.

The only Pokemon I like having specific genders of are those that have gender requirements for evolution. I also like having female Eevee and Eeveelutions. They look feminine and when they're gift Pokemon, I'll SR till I have a female. I do this with starters sometimes too, especially in RSE. There's just a charm about having a female starter I think, haha.

Mystical Mermaid

Resident Mermaid
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    I have no preference when it comes to using Pokemon in battle, though I try to catch an opposite-gendered pair of each Pokemon if possible for breeding purposes, as Egg moves and TMs are inheritered from the father. The only thing I'll usually insist on doing is when starting a new game I will restart until I get a female starter for breeding. Other than that, I just go with whatever I get until I reach the postgame.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Oh I've never cared about gender at all. My general attitude is 'ooh I want that Pokémon what has just popped out okay I am going to catch it'. And I've always had access to Ditto so I never had to worry about breeding things haha.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    For me, some Pokémon just have to be one gender or another, even if they can be both genders and aren't one of those rare cases like Jynx and Miltank and Taurus. A google example of this is Machamp. A female Machamp? Really? How? Unless it's a Pokémon that I think is better suited as a female (Liligant is a perfect example, and other girly looking Pokémon - Gothitelle, Munna, Audino, etc.), I always have to have a male instead. My team is almost always made up of entirely male Pokémon, and the Pokémon that aren't male are usually Pokémon that I listed above that I think should be female. So, yes, I would consider myself a PokéSexist, though I don't get uncomfortable when I have a female... that's a little ridiculous.

Years
  • The only reason I catch gender specific Pokemon is for a reason listed already: egg moves. Besides that I could really care less. If anything though, GameFreak is sexist for making the starters all like 75% male haha.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
    Years
  • When in the wild, my attention is focused on Nature's, rather than when breeding i usually use males - a little bit out of preference. If it has good IV's, Nature or it's shiny, i couldn't give a rat's a$$ what gender it is. I always have access to Ditto, excluding before post-game in BW so that has never been a problem. I am mostly using genderless pokemon anyway.

Meowthison

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2012
    I thought I was the only PokeSexist trainer out there. When planning out a team I already decide who's gonna be male and who's gonna be female. It doesn't matter if it has the perfect nature, if it's male and I wanted it to be female it's not happening. xD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • During my early playthroughs of Pokemon, I was very annoyed that almost every Pokemon I caught turned out to be female, so for a long time, I only went for males, though this since has waned.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • Yep, it definitely matters for me. More so for some Pokémon though.

The other day I started Pt over, and was trying to catch a male Shinx with a good nature, and Intimidate, and it took surprisingly long to find one lol.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It never used to bother me, I would just capture and train the Pokémon I'd want on my team regardless of the gender but now, as time goes on it seems like I'm more set on genders and what genders suit which Pokémon, example if I wanted to have a Gorebyss and Kingdra on my team I'd make it so Kingdra is male and Gorebyss female for obvious reasons. I guess it's just something that has strengthened over the years, I just think certain Pokémon should be certain genders and that's just my view.

MirandaxPikachu

Lovin' Pikachu since 1999.
    Years
  • Well, of course some Pokemon are more female-like than others, It's just because my first Pikachu was female that I usually have a female Pikachu, until Gen. III, when the gender differences came, I didn't like the tail change, but I just ignored it..

Anyways, just like you guys said, some Pokemon just have to be female, what I think is ridiculous, is Eevee's gender chances, 87.5% male, 12.5% female?! What? No! I mean, Espeon should be female for me, or Glaceon. It should be 50/50. So yes, I am a PokeSexist. Some Pokemon have to be male, some have to be female.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • When I was younger, I was a definite PokeSexist. I wanted my entire team to be male, just like the main character, and I'd probably not attempt to capture female Pokemon. To this day, though, I can't really figure out why. I guess part of it might be the OCD-ness of having a single gendered team; part of it might have been my 14-year-old hidden sexism that didn't manifest itself in real life but DID manifest while playing Pokemon. I dunno...

In my recent playthrough of Platinum, however, I've taken steps to avoid that. As well as choosing a female character to play with, about half of my current team is female. Nowadays, it just doesn't bother me. Which is probably the correct approach to have.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Yes, all of my team has to be female if they're not genderless. Though, I'll make an exception if it has like a 5% catch rate then I couldn't care less. I didn't really care back when I was a kid I just caught them and if they were a female/male then that's what they were. Now, it's different don't ask me why but I prefer females over males especially when it comes down to my starter.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Nah, the gender of a Pokémon doesn't really matter to me at all, except whenever I'm naming my Pokémon after people I know, then it kinda has a bit more importance xD But all in all, I don't breed my Pokémon, so that isn't a reason to either, and except with a few Pokémon who have different appearances and such depending on which gender they are, genders don't really matter, so there's not really any reason why I should really care. I'm not sure if it was different for me when I was younger, though I most likely wasn't aware that genders existed, and if I did, I probably didn't pay attention to it.

^Well I disagree with you when you say...

Not true - not for me any way. I prefer to have mixed gender Pokemon but certian Pokemon I like better in female than other. Like I like female Skitty over male Skitty - though with Skitty: 25% male, 75% female the majority of them are female (source: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Skitty_(Pokémon)).

So to conclude: if I prefer having a female Skitty over a male does that make me sexist? of course not. If any thing you should be looking into babies being killed/aborted because they were not male...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gendercide#Femicide
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex-selective_abortion
    He was referring to the genders of the in-game trainers' Pokémon, where male trainers usually have male Pokémon, and female trainers usually have female Pokémon, apparently.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Normally I don't care what genre a Pokemon is, I'll stay with what ever Pokemon I have catch.

The only time I did care (and still play the game) about genres was when I wanted to win with two Persians. So early in the game I caught two Meowth and train (had to cheat to make Meowth appear). Have not done it again with any other Pokemon.

Years
  • In my early days of playing Pokemon, I was very Poke-Sexist.

I would only catch females to use on my team to match my character's gender unless if it had a 12.5% chance to be female, like starters. (My Swampert in Ruby was female though)

That continued on to my 4th Gen games however as of 5th Gen I now catch whatever gender I see first.

However, my teams usually ended up female-dominant and the closest I ever came to an even-gendered team was in Black where I had 2 males and 4 females.

There are still certain Pokemon I only want as a certain gender. Any Gothitelle, Lopunny, Gardevoir, Cherrim, Wigglytuff, Clefable, Mismagius, Purugly and Delcatty I get always have to be female.

Back