• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you a vegetarian who doesn't eat animal products to stop them from being killed?

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    AngelWolfie said:
    This is probably waaaay offtopic but personally, I see animals as more important than we are.

A man has a gun pointed at a baby, another man has a gun pointed a dog. You can only save one. Which one would you choose? Are your morals really that convoluted?

[quoteAngelWolfie]I dislike eating wild creatures, because we actually need them to survive ourselves (other than using them as food). Each one serves it's own perpose in keeping the balance of nature in check.[/quote]

You're talking like we purposely hunt all animals down with the sole purpose of eating them to extinction o_O; There are an estimated 30-50 million species of animals on this earth. We may commonly eat ten or less.

AngelWolfie said:
    We're messing that up by hunting species to extinction, because of our own selfish 'needs'.

I don't see us hunting any animal to extinction for food. Of the ten or so prevously mentioned species, almost all are raised on farms for food purposes. Farmers have been doing their job for thousands of years, and yet the population of farmed animals has only increased with each generation. Even in the dark ages they weren't stupid enough to not know that you have to set aside a certain percent of your stock for breeding. This way no type of farmed animal can go extinct. And, on top of that, there are wild, undomesticated types of all farm animals still roaming the wild. While they are genetically a bit different, they are, in essence, the same.

AngelWolfie said:
    Some people say certain insects are useless, annoying, etc, but I think that they are probably most important of all.

Do we EAT insects? Besides the primitive humans in the rainforest? Would you go to their lands and condemn them for eating what they need to survive?

AngelWolfie said:
    Think about it- If we didn't have mosquitos, we wouldn't have fish, meaning we wouldn't have certain birds, meaning no plants (bird droppings often contain still-intact seeds) Which would mean no herbivores, which would mean no predators (i.e. us).

Maybe one or two breeds of fish eat mosquitos. 99% of all fish eat other fish and plankton. All birds would still be alive. Most plants breed through pollen, seed-spreading through droppings is just a minor type of breeding, although necessary for a few types of plants. Herbivores don't tend to eat those types of plants. We're not predators. Predators hunt and kill without thinking. We've risen far above that.

AngelWolfie said:
    We, in my opinion, have no perpose to serve, as all we've done is destroy and lead ourselves and our planet to destruction.

As a Christian (I am too, to clarify), you honestly believe this? You're basically contradicting yourself by saying that you believe man has no purpose.

AngelWolfie said:
    Now all we can really do is preserve certain species, and make up for what we've done, because we've been nothing but parasites.

I'm surprised you haven't killed yourself or committed mass murder to haste the destruction of man with an attitude like this. Parasites? What, for example, will all the domesticated species to if man leaves them? They'll die out because we've trained them to rely on us. And what about the species that go extinct naturally? We're the only thing standing between life and oblivion for tens of thousands of species. But this won't change anything for you; we're nothing but parasites.

AngelWolfie said:
    I'm a christian too! But I beleive animals have emotions just as we do. The Bible never said animals couldn't think. And just because we govern them doesn't mean we have the right to torture them!

But we still govern them, which means that, if you believe what you do, they exist for our purposes. Not just as food (but most certainly as food. God Himself commands in the old testament what meats we are allowed and not allowed to eat. Where to you think the concept of food being Kosher came from in Judaism?), but as pleasure, as tools, basically however we can utilize them.

AngelWolfie said:
    The queen of England doesn't eat her subjects, does she? President Bush doesn't go around shooting us to wear our skins! What do you say now?!

That would be cannibalism. You're taking the word "govern" a bit too literally. We have dominion over animals; and dominion comes from the word "dominate", to rule, control, etc. But syntax is beside the issue. Just next time, try to look through the world through a less idealistic eye. I could make my entire counter-argument here, but it would fall on deaf ears.

bubbleicious

~in love at the moment~
    Years
    I'm surprised you haven't killed yourself or committed mass murder to haste the destruction of man with an attitude like this. Parasites? What, for example, will all the domesticated species to if man leaves them? They'll die out because we've trained them to rely on us.

Do you mean the animals that are trapped in our house's or the ones that roam free?.

Jarman

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2006
    Kaga, you shouldn't defend your opinions with God. Not everyone is a Christian, so you should defend them from a scientific/Athiest (or Aethiest, I forgot how it was spelled) view.

AngelWolfie

Tiger Power!
    Years
    Chairman Kaga said:
    A man has a gun pointed at a baby, another man has a gun pointed a dog. You can only save one. Which one would you choose? Are your morals really that convoluted?

You're talking like we purposely hunt all animals down with the sole purpose of eating them to extinction o_O; There are an estimated 30-50 million species of animals on this earth. We may commonly eat ten or less.

I don't see us hunting any animal to extinction for food. Of the ten or so prevously mentioned species, almost all are raised on farms for food purposes. Farmers have been doing their job for thousands of years, and yet the population of farmed animals has only increased with each generation. Even in the dark ages they weren't stupid enough to not know that you have to set aside a certain percent of your stock for breeding. This way no type of farmed animal can go extinct. And, on top of that, there are wild, undomesticated types of all farm animals still roaming the wild. While they are genetically a bit different, they are, in essence, the same.

Do we EAT insects? Besides the primitive humans in the rainforest? Would you go to their lands and condemn them for eating what they need to survive?

Maybe one or two breeds of fish eat mosquitos. 99% of all fish eat other fish and plankton. All birds would still be alive. Most plants breed through pollen, seed-spreading through droppings is just a minor type of breeding, although necessary for a few types of plants. Herbivores don't tend to eat those types of plants. We're not predators. Predators hunt and kill without thinking. We've risen far above that.

As a Christian (I am too, to clarify), you honestly believe this? You're basically contradicting yourself by saying that you believe man has no purpose.

I'm surprised you haven't killed yourself or committed mass murder to haste the destruction of man with an attitude like this. Parasites? What, for example, will all the domesticated species to if man leaves them? They'll die out because we've trained them to rely on us. And what about the species that go extinct naturally? We're the only thing standing between life and oblivion for tens of thousands of species. But this won't change anything for you; we're nothing but parasites.

But we still govern them, which means that, if you believe what you do, they exist for our purposes. Not just as food (but most certainly as food. God Himself commands in the old testament what meats we are allowed and not allowed to eat. Where to you think the concept of food being Kosher came from in Judaism?), but as pleasure, as tools, basically however we can utilize them.

That would be cannibalism. You're taking the word "govern" a bit too literally. We have dominion over animals; and dominion comes from the word "dominate", to rule, control, etc. But syntax is beside the issue. Just next time, try to look through the world through a less idealistic eye. I could make my entire counter-argument here, but it would fall on deaf ears.
    You completltrely misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was using insects as an example, duh.

♥Whitney♥

♥Goldenrod Gym ******♥
    Years
    Yes I am a vegetarian who doesn't eat animal products to stop them from being killed.I think it is not cool to eat animals.It's sad. Here's a ♥ to all the poor animals.

Years
    No one said it was "cool" to eat animals. They're acting like we're some kind of dictator like Saddam or something.

Back