• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you lenient on in-game opponents?

Years
    It's weird, really - as I mentioned, in earlier games like FRLG, Emerald and Platinum, I hope my opponents will be stupid and use not very effective moves, but in B2W2 and XY i'm usually disappointed when they do, at least later in the game. I guess you can say that part of why i'm in that mindset (of often being so lenient in the latter two games) is because of how they were trashed for being so easy, even on Challenge Mode with the latter, which is what left me in the habit of, in some playthroughs, not using the most obvious answers to opponents in some fights, and instead trying to have team efforts. Same deal with XY most of the time. It mostly comes off as a bad attempt at trying to make them look harder than other games - and on Normal Mode and with full Exp. Share respectively, it really isn't (but I have access to Challenge Mode whenever I desire so yeah).

Years
    Nope!

I don't really do challenges or anything along those lines, so whenever I do play my aim is to get through the game as quickly as possible (while still enjoying the game, of course). Or rather, I'll take my time on other parts such as finding pokemon and leveling them but when it comes to in-game battles I'd like to get through them as quickly as possible.

So if I can steamroll a trainer, I will. Absolutely no remorse!

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
    It really depends on my mood. If I feel happy, I just like for fun without really thinking about it. If I'm really into the game, that's where all lenient goes away. Especially when I'm online, I give literally zero mercy.

Years
    Hm. So it seems most people now don't prefer to let up at all, and they'll take the most direct routes to win with.

But that brings me to a new question that may or may not even be related to the thread's topic at hand: would you rather watch a battle against a difficult opponent (like, a villainous team leader, Elite Four members or even the Champion) that turns out to be a completely one-sided thrashing coming from the player, or a battle that turns out to be super close and comes down to the wire? I kinda already talked about why I don't think the former is fun to watch, but you guys may think differently.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I love to watch my opponents cry. I always go ham on them. No mercy, especially in my Wonderlocke. I can't risk anything.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    If it comes to watching, and i mean if its watching someone else do it, then I don't like it when they make the supposed super hard battle against a plot-important NPC really easy for them when they play on 'Switch', and tell the viewers that "Cynthia so easy what you scrubz talkin about neegs, GG2EASY4MEnuubs"

Watching super close battles against the key bosses of the games is always fun. I remember watching ProJared's FireRed Nuzlocke run where his battle with the Champion was really intense. Even if Jared made some certain misplays that had much of his party annihilated by Gyarados (he could have easily taken out that Gyarados if he didn't make the wrong misplays that led to the demise of Q, Farf, and Stellar), it was rewarding for him and the viewers to dispose of the rest of the enemy with Nuptup, the destroyer of worlds, and Leebin, the Crit machine and unsung hero of that said Nuzlocke run.

In order to continue with the spirit of the topic, another way i am "lenient" towards the in-game opponents is that I do not use items during the said battles, even if they themselves use potions or full restores. At least they don't use revives, and I should be fair as well not and use revives.

However, opponents in Battle Resort/Maison/Frontier are of a completely different story and must be annihilated at all costs of course.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I'm not grinding hard enough If I don't one-hit KO all the trainers in the immediate area. 8)

Back