• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you living in a Western or Eastern Civilization?

East or West

• Eastern Oriented Civilization.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Western Oriented Civilization.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • In the Middle.

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
    Years
    uh...im Canadian. so west...right? >.<
    (i hope im getting this right. i was the only one in my class that when given a map, knew that crossing the Pacific ocean was a faster way of getting to Japan. Not the other way. everybody was skeptical, since they thought there was a whole other side of the world. but no...i knew ;D)

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    Well I suppose, according to you, I am in an Eastern Country. But, those countries that are termed to be in "Western Civilization" are all MEDCs, whereas Eastern are coined as LEDCs. Simple geography, people.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Well I suppose, according to you, I am in an Eastern Country. But, those countries that are termed to be in "Western Civilization" are all MEDCs, whereas Eastern are coined as LEDCs. Simple geography, people.
    It has nothing to do with geography, this isn't asking "Do you live on the west or east part of the world?" It's asking what kind of Civilization you live in, and the two most common are Eastern and Western, of which have nothing to do with geography. If it did the following countries would not be called Western Countries:

All of the North and South American continents.
    Western Europe
    South Africa
    Australia
    New Zealand
    Israel
    Iceland

(Yes I know the first two aren't countries. :|)

And various nations spread across the world. Whether a country is classified as a Western or Eastern country has nothing to do with its geographical location. Read my earlier post if you want more detail.

Actually, Europe is West unless you have an Eastern-like culture.

Actually, parts of Eastern Europe (and Russia, which I never say is Eastern Europe because it's on the Asian continent for the most part) are not Eastern or Western. They are all Orthodox for the most part. However, it is not rare for Islamic (Eastern) and Western cultures to appear.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/Clash_of_Civilizations_map.png

Some notes:

South Africa is considered both an African and Western civilization due to it being colonized by Western Europeans.
    Israel is a mix of Islamic and Western civilization, those do not coincide together as peacefully as in South Africa.
    Latin American civilization is basically the same as Western civilization since the thing that makes a country Western is if it is Christian-based, which Latin America is Catholic based. Catholicism is a branch of Christianity.

Last edited:

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    It has nothing to do with geography, this isn't asking "Do you live on the west or east part of the world?" It's asking what kind of Civilization you live in, and the two most common are Eastern and Western, of which have nothing to do with geography.

I'm not saying that, I am referring to the division of countries using the LEDC/MEDC method, as the two types of civilization you refer to have soem bearing on the economic development of said country. Ergo, most, if not all, countries that are referred to as Western are above the line, hence MEDCs, and those below (LEDCs) are referred to as Eastern.

I'm not sayign that it is solely based on this, but as I say it does have some bearing on the society. I have studied this, but only at a near basic level. I tried to find a diagram, but the only one I can find is nowhere near big enough to demonstrate my point.

EDIT: But I can give it a shot.

Back