• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you one for the old or the new?

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I like each installment, old and new, based on their own merits. Every generation has its own unique feel and aesthetic that makes them all worthwhile to me in different ways. And even though as someone who plays competitively I love the current, polished X and Y battle mechanics, I still find the old, horrendously unbalanced mechanics of RBY to be very charming. There's also a nostalgia factor that goes along with the older games (GSC and RSE in particular for me). While Black and White are my favorites to date, I still get a lot out of going back and replaying the games I adored as a kid. I've been with the series since Gold and Silver, so I've got a sort of respect for seeing how it's evolved over time.

I can definitely understand why the older games may be less appealing to some players (especially newer players), even though all the "flaws" in their graphics and battle system are things I hold dear. Likewise, I also see why other players from the RBY/GSC days don't care much for the newer games. The series has changed a lot, and admittedly it's lost some elements along the way that other people may have been attached to. Or, even if it is just a response from nostalgia, I still think that's a fair enough reason, honestly. No one's obligated to play and enjoy every game, and I don't think it makes you less of a fan either way.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • I have thoroughly enjoyed each installment of the Pokemon series, though not as equally for each. I suppose I am a fan of the old games because they are what I have played the most.

However, I will not compare each game to what my subjective favorite is, because none of these games are really the same. Black 2 and Gold are polar opposites, and there is no way to effectively compare them because of their difference. If I dislike a game, it's because I didn't like it; not because it wasn't up to par with say, Emerald.

I don't count genwunners as Pokemon fans for that reason; they are blinded by nostalgia, or their own ignorant belief that their game cannot be beat. Playing a game without giving it a proper chance, as these genwunners (a sheer example, there are these types of people for Gens 2 and 3!) refuse to believe another Pokemon game can ever top RBY.

That said, new games can impress me just as the old. Platinum for instance, was a spectacular game for its selection of Pokemon, difficulty, improved graphics and touches to the storyline. I love the 3D display of XY and the genuine story Black/White had.

Bottom line: The only way you can truly prefer old or new games is if you try all of them with an equal chance; don't let nostalgia or the complexity of recent games sway your opinions.

Years
  • How exactly are GSC and BW2 polar opposites? To say the least, I have tried all the games and given them equal chances, and again, there's no game I actually dislike. But I just tend to like the newer stuff more.

And you are right, the games themselves aren't the same, but the formula of getting all eight badges and becoming the Champion is (except in BW). Every one has their own adventure, Pokémon and opponents to come across, so it's perfectly fair that they might like or not like them for what they have.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    ehh this is such a tough question, my opinion changes too often to give a definitive answer.

it seems whenever a new game or version comes out I tend to say that the newer games are better. with there upgrades and increasingly better graphics its hard for me not to like them. then, as I get bored of the game, I hover back over to my classics. in doing so, thinking they are the better of the games again.

the same thing happens to me with music. I usually stick 70s rock when I put music on. then il hear a new style of music, get hooked, and listen to that for a while. After about a month or so il grow out of it and go back to my rock n' roll.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Uhm, I agree with the whole "it's unfair to compare old games to new games" argument.

I've played every main Pokemon game and like 90% of the spin offs, and I've enjoyed every single one. As far as game preference goes I am only finding myself leaning towards the new gens simply due to the amount of features included within newer versions. There's just a lot more to do and spend time on, you know? Also shiny hunting is just really fun in X&Y bahaha. The graphics improvement is a definite plus, but every Pokemon game was revolutionary for it's time period as far as graphics go. I'd say that I love Pokemon games regardless of whether they're new or not and I'll always pick one of the various versions up anytime.

Cornflowerblues

Waterdancer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2014
    I love the old ones, for nostalgic reasons to begin with...
    And whenever I feel like starting from scratch I get out my Chrystal or Sapphire...
    But I'm excited about the new generations and the spin-offs. I like to mix and match, according to daily preference ;)

Years
  • While I love newer generations to death, I'd say I enjoy playing games from gen I and II the most. I'm not a fan of the remakes FR/LG and HG/SS either. Something about the older graphics and music is really charming and enjoyable to me. One of my main problems with new gens are the stories. Now, normally I'm all for a good storyline, and the newer generations are coming up with deeper plots...but it just doesn't do it for me with pokemon. I prefer minimal dialogue when it comes to playing pokemon. It just seems to bog down the games for me and makes them tedious to play through. I like good plot in most games, but for pokemon I like the feel of just being free and going through at your own pace. While generation I and II had some stuff with team rocket, that was pretty much it and the rest of the time you were left to yourself which I like. Then there's the glitches. I love to fool around with glitches in pokemon yellow!

That being said, it's always exciting to see new games come out. I love seeing my old favourite pokemon getting graphical updates and seeing them change over time. The switch to 3D models in X/Y was refreshing and awesome. The battles are fun and allow for more your pokemon team to feel more unique with the addition of new moves and such. Overall, I'd say I like the generations fairly equally, but with a tendency towards older generations.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I was a huge fan of Pokemon back in the 1998-2002 era, after that I lost interest in it.

Yellow and Crystal are probably my favorite games, and gen 1 is definitely my favorite gen for Pokemon. There are just too many pokemon in the later games to list that I don't like, whereas I like all 151 original Pokemon.

I think the main reason I don't like the recent games as much as the old games(Black 2/Y) is because of the new things they added. The graphics also, I don't like the 3D feel. Also there's way too much dialogue. And the intro to each battle is too long. For me new things isn't always better. Also I liked the exp. share where you could give it to one pokemon, I don't like it in the new game.

Another thing I noticed is I don't have any emotional hold over the pokemon I have on my team. They are just there.

I didn't buy a DS when they originally came out because I just didn't like them. So I've never played D/P/P or HG/SS or B/W. I finally bought a 3ds last year mostly for Y but by now I'm a bit past my interest in playing the games.

As for Gen 3 I didn't like it at all, I liked some of the pokemon in it but I've never played it through and to be honest I have no interest in restarting it because I just don't like the pokemon in it. If I play it now I mostly get lost, I can't find a good spot to level up my pokemon quickly. In Crystal I was able to level up my pokemon in Victory Road going up one level after 1-2 hits on level 50 pokemon.

Last edited:
    Back