• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you Still Interested?

Guest123_x1

I lost my interest in continuing with the Pokémon anime over a decade ago, and it wasn't because of Ash always losing every single League he entered. The show has become dated at this point with the same things happening all the time.
    These days I care mostly about the Original Series (and of course, unlike some people, I know Misty is never going to return, as much as I liked her as a character).

Years
    I know I'm soured over Alain becoming Kalos League Champion (especially since the episode title trolled us) but I'm not giving up on the anime because I am still intrigued to see how Team Flare and the Alola region saga will go.

Years
    I'm still interested. I like to see Ash's journey and the Pokémon he catches.

Plus this saga will be different since GYMs will not exist.

You are right, since Alola has been giving me tons of Orange Islands vibes and that makes me exited to see how they'll handle Ash's journey in the region since Alola has been established to have a very different culture than other regions as shown with the Island Challenges shown to be a likely substitute for Gyms.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
    Yeah, I'm still interested. What with 'Team Flare rigged the league' rumours and stuff. I'm looking forward to the Team Flare arc and the further developments the writers have planned for the anime.

I'm not going to stop watching a series because of one episode that I didn't like. Or else I would never finish a season of any TV series. Take the highs with the lows I say.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    The only thing even giving me any potential interest in the Anime right now is the prospect of Misty returning (which is solely due to a couple of hints at their doing so, namely the Misty and Ash special episode of Team Rocket radio, Mayumi Iizuka's tweet, the fact that they released Misty's GEM Series figure a year earlier than it was supposed to [ie, during the 20th anniversary of the games, not the 20th anniversary of the anime], and overall some elements of Alola that doesn't seem to fit well UNLESS you take into account Misty returning). Beyond that, it's pretty much been a stinker especially now after they wasted a potential Ash victory when they had the perfect opportunity to do so since there's no gyms. And I've lost much interest in returning after I learned Misty was removed, that they replaced her with a Hina stereotype, that they had Ash beat Gym Leaders the way he would Team Rocket in Hoenn, that Ash didn't even ADVANCE in his goal in Hoenn, and the closest he has to a real achievement, the Battle Frontier, was later treated as a joke and May's goal was filler material at best especially when Dawn reused May's goal. And don't get me started on the similar results for Sinnoh (even IF Ash did at least increase in rank), or the mess that was Best Wishes, or their cramming down Amourshipping down our throats despite Ash having zero romantic interest in Serena.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2016
    You are right, since Alola has been giving me tons of Orange Islands vibes and that makes me exited to see how they'll handle Ash's journey in the region since Alola has been established to have a very different culture than other regions as shown with the Island Challenges shown to be a likely substitute for Gyms.
    So true, I really believe that it will be a different experience than the other series something that hat series was needing.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    So true, I really believe that it will be a different experience than the other series something that hat series was needing.

They're still going to need Ash to actually pursue his Greatest Pokémon Master goal, and quite honestly, they really should have had Ash win Kalos this time around (note that I didn't say become Champion, as he still needs to fight the Elite 4 and beat them as well as the reigning champion before he can truly do so), at least THAT would leave some degree of closure to tide us over until Generation VIII. And since it was heavily reinforced that he needs to fight in gym battles and participate in Leagues for him to even become a Pokémon Master (and that was before DP revealed he needs to beat the Elite 4 and Champion to come much closer to achieving it), the fact that they had him lose Kalos was just stupid. A shakeup on goals will mean nothing if he didn't even win a league beforehand.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2016
    They're still going to need Ash to actually pursue his Greatest Pokémon Master goal, and quite honestly, they really should have had Ash win Kalos this time around (note that I didn't say become Champion, as he still needs to fight the Elite 4 and beat them as well as the reigning champion before he can truly do so), at least THAT would leave some degree of closure to tide us over until Generation VIII. And since it was heavily reinforced that he needs to fight in gym battles and participate in Leagues for him to even become a Pokémon Master (and that was before DP revealed he needs to beat the Elite 4 and Champion to come much closer to achieving it), the fact that they had him lose Kalos was just stupid. A shakeup on goals will mean nothing if he didn't even win a league beforehand.
    I agree with you that winning the League doesn't mean his journey ends. I really would like to see him battling the Elite Four in official battles. It would so much raise the ratings if he does unfortunately the Anime Staff don't like that idea for some reason.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
    I'm still interested. The Team Flare arc look interesting and Gen 6 will be coming to an end when Sun/Moon comes out in a few months so I might as well stick around to see how this saga ends. Because of how much I enjoyed the whole XY series so far, I feel that the series finale will make me as emotional as the finales of the Original Series and DP did.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I would definitely watch if Ash wins a league or if they do something special for the 20th anniversary (bringing back Brock and Misty, Ash reuniting with Gen 1 Pokemon he released or gave to someone else, etc).

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
    I'm still interested, but in a salty sarcastic way as a meta observer.

What I'm interested about the Pokemon Anime right now, is how will the staff going to react to the outrage of its fandom, are they going to redeem the result by making any changes to the remaining episodes, how they will face the public and their fans after this failure. And for the next SM saga, are they going to again "fix their mistake" just like how it ran out during beginning of BW, what any major changes they will bring to the series, how they will try their best to reconstruct the positive image of Pokemon Anime as like it was in the past.

Or looking at it from schadenfreude POV, it is also interesting in seeing how the staff didn't do anything to redeem the damaged reputation of this show, so fans are getting further enraged, vow to boycott the show, and then the desperate staffs especially the director board then "trying their best" in attracting viewership by throwing in further fan-service tropes (just unfortunately not thinking of improving its basic foundational screen-writing quality and overall construction), turning Pokemon Anime into otaku anime like those to be aired in midnight hour, where such desperate emergency treatment is obviously backfired, ruining the Pokemon Anime where it had to be call for permanent halt, Pokemon Anime then finished its 20 years history on sour note. Congratulation and The End. (^w^)

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
    I am never gonna lose interest in pokemon anime. Although that goddamn loss did get me super salty, but still.. its Ash. The guy who inspires me to keep going on and on.. forever, no matter what. And, I am really excited about Alola, with new pokés, new adventures, new friends and companions and everything. So everybody, its a request to all of you if you care to read this post(i know most of you don't), be positive and think about the future and don't just keep whinning about that loss.

Years
    I haven't even made it to the point that is being referenced in the OP, but I'm not really watching to watch Ash. I'm watching to see the Pokémon and the characters from the games get animated and have their personalities fleshed out. I'm not terribly concerned with how Ash does. I'll probably keep watching as long as it keeps airing.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I haven't even made it to the point that is being referenced in the OP, but I'm not really watching to watch Ash. I'm watching to see the Pokémon and the characters from the games get animated and have their personalities fleshed out. I'm not terribly concerned with how Ash does. I'll probably keep watching as long as it keeps airing.

Maybe, but the fact is that Ash still has an unfulfilled goal, a goal that unlike the prior times didn't even NEED to be unfulfilled by the end of the current series (at least the prior series had the excuse of there being new gyms/new Pokémon Leagues for the next generation. This didn't). I could care less about Ash himself, but when they give character a goal, they are obliged to make SURE said character accomplishes said goal. Maybe if they actually had Ash actually WIN the league yet lose to an Elite 4 member, it would work, but having him be runner-up? I don't care if he DID improve over Sinnoh and especially redeemed himself regarding Unova, not having him win Kalos was a mistake ESPECIALLY when Alola doesn't even HAVE Gyms or a League for him to participate in.

And I suspect after this bit, Pokémon the anime's probably going to have a full year at best, barely long enough for it to last the 20th Anniversary.

And for the record, that's EXACTLY my issue with their removing Misty as well, even more than the fact that they replaced her with Hinas.

Years
    Maybe, but the fact is that Ash still has an unfulfilled goal, a goal that unlike the prior times didn't even NEED to be unfulfilled by the end of the current series (at least the prior series had the excuse of there being new gyms/new Pokémon Leagues for the next generation. This didn't). I could care less about Ash himself, but when they give character a goal, they are obliged to make SURE said character accomplishes said goal. Maybe if they actually had Ash actually WIN the league yet lose to an Elite 4 member, it would work, but having him be runner-up? I don't care if he DID improve over Sinnoh and especially redeemed himself regarding Unova, not having him win Kalos was a mistake ESPECIALLY when Alola doesn't even HAVE Gyms or a League for him to participate in.

And I suspect after this bit, Pokémon the anime's probably going to have a full year at best, barely long enough for it to last the 20th Anniversary.

And for the record, that's EXACTLY my issue with their removing Misty as well, even more than the fact that they replaced her with Hinas.

Didn't I just say that I'm not really concerned about how Ash does, though, as he's not why I watch? Sure, better writing for Ash makes the show better overall since he's the main character, but, again, he's really not why I keep watching the anime.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Didn't I just say that I'm not really concerned about how Ash does, though, as he's not why I watch? Sure, better writing for Ash makes the show better overall since he's the main character, but, again, he's really not why I keep watching the anime.

Yeah, you did, but the fact of the matter is, Ash's goal still forms the crux of the various series whether you care or not, and it was an exceptionally stupid idea to have Ash lose in XY. And since CarCharOdin mentioned the Dethroning Moment of Suck entry, it also mentions the implications that thanks to the idiocy of how the Kalos League was handled, they can't even GIVE Ash a win now without it looking like a pity win.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years

Spoiler:

I'm still interested. As long as the anime keeps running, I'm going to keep up with spoilers, as well as the English dub releases. I'm really excited to see how Sun/Moon will turn out for the anime, etc. I'm not stopping just because Ash lost a league, it happens every time, anyway.

Back