• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Error] ArgumentError when compiling, help!

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2021
    So first off, I may be rather new to using Pokemon Essentials however I do know enough to be able to do what I'm trying to do.

Bit of background info:
    All I've done is install the v19.1 Hotfixes 1.0.4 and Luka S.J Scripting Utilities plugins (I've checked and the both work fine when compiling the game) and added two new moves (both these also work in game, I've checked), now I've tried to add a new defined pokemon (I've triple checked that all the data needed is correct, so there are no syntax errors) but after adding that one new pokemon, the game refuses to compile and gives me this error message, if anyone can help that would be great.

[Pokemon Essentials version 19.1]
    [v19.1 Hotfixes 1.0.4]

Exception: ArgumentError
    Expected nil to be one of [Symbol, GameData::BodyShape, String, Integer],
    but got NilClass.

Backtrace:
    015:Validation:29:in 'validate'
    101:GameData:26:in 'get'
    367:Computer_CompilePBS:484:in 'block (2 levels) in compile_pokemon'
    366:Compiler:134:in 'block in pbEachFileSection'
    366:Compiler:128:in 'pbEachFileSectionEx'
    366:Compiler:133:in 'pbEachFileSection'
    367:Compiler_CompilePBS:389:in 'block in compile_pokemon'
    367:Compiler_CompilePBS:383:in 'open'
    367:Compiler_CompilePBS:383:in 'compile_pokemon'
    366:Compiler:703:in 'compile_all'

If anyone smarter than me can understand this that would be incredibly helpful, thank you.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The error message mentions BodyShape, so I suggest you check which shape you've defined for your new species and make sure it's a shape that exists.

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2021
    The error message mentions BodyShape, so I suggest you check which shape you've defined for your new species and make sure it's a shape that exists.

Ok just tried that and now it's working (sorry, I read somewhere that that information wasn't required for the pokemon to function in-game, I guess that must have been for an earlier version of essentials?), thank you for correcting my stupidity and also thank you for developing these latest versions of essentials!

Back