• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Arizona Rep Gabrielle Giffords shot.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    A gunman opened fire Saturday onto a crowd at a public event held by Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in Tucson, Ariz., critically injuring the congresswoman and killing at least five people.

The dead included U.S. District Judge John Roll and a 9-year-old girl, President Obama said in a brief statement Saturday. Giffords, who was shot in the head, was among at least 13 people injured, according to the Pima County, Ariz., sheriff's office.

"Gabby Giffords was a friend of mine. She is not only an extraordinary public servant, but she is also someone who is warm and caring. She is well-liked by her colleagues and well-liked by her constituents," Obama said.

"I know Gabby is as tough as they come and I am hopeful that she is going to pull through," he said.

NPR and other news organizations reported earlier Saturday that Giffords had died. NPR member station KJZZ in Phoenix reported the congresswoman and six others had been killed by the gunman.
    Source.

Put guns in the hands of ignorant people, rile them up with a political agenda, and watch how the chips fall. This is a disgrace and I'm ashamed of my country and the people in it. Something like this should never happen.

Her crime? Supporting a health care bill? Voting democratically? Whatever the reason, it's not good enough.

Years
    Sigh was going to post this up. But yeah this district is very polarized due to the Immigration, Healthcare and Financial Reform plans. 8( She narrowly won the seat this time after all.

But what still shocks me is that a Federal District Court Judge was also killed and a 9 year old girl too. D:

It's a tragic event but pretty much reflects the polarized atmosphere that we are in for the next few years...

Years
    She's apparently alive. But in a critical situation, she was shot several times in the head at close range.

I heard she was alive, then dead, so I'm hearing she's also alive as well? It confuses me, because, I looked on Yahoo, CNN and I was listening to a radio show saying she was dead. o..O .And, yeah I did hear the shooter was real close, as well. It's a real shame listening to this happening, it's just horrible.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    NPR was reporting that she was in surgery and doctors were "very optimistic of a recovery". I can't imagine living through something like that and even being a shell of the person you were before.

How awful the world is when you can be assassinated for not believing the same thing as someone else.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    As horrible as it sounds...

Yes, this is tragic, but it's not, you know... something that should cause intense shame of one's country.

This is, by no means, uniquely American. Or even Western.

Years
    The fact that she's still alive after being shot in the head is amazing. The fact that this took place in Arizona doesn't surprise me. That state has become a political minefield as of late thanks to immigration reform.

I find this more frightening because she had her office door trashed and said that she has a Glock 9mm and is a good shot. The guy used a Glock 9mm.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Arizona Rep Gabrielle Giffords shot.

Don't Retreat. Reload.

:\ It begins.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    Jesus hell, this woman is a menace.

And it saddens me that so many in the US still resort to violence when things don't go their way. :\
    Forgoing the joke that that originally was the reason the US existed (Yes, I'm aware that statement fails on many levels), I have to say...

Why is this so surprising? It's tragic, yes, but there are so many countries, first- and third-world, where politicians are killed by crazed gunmen.

Years
    Forgoing the joke that that originally was the reason the US existed (Yes, I'm aware that statement fails on many levels), I have to say...

Why is this so surprising? It's tragic, yes, but there are so many countries, first- and third-world, where politicians are killed by crazed gunmen.

I don't think surprising is the correct word. Disappointing and appalling are more apt. I am disappointed and appalled that an American citizen thinks it's okay to shoot a politician because they don't agree with them. We have standards we need to hold ourselves to in my opinion, and among those is respecting the lives of other human beings even if we don't agree with them.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    Yeah because this is CLEARLY Sarah Palin's fault.

Authorities said they believed Loughner had sent out a video saying that he expected Saturday to be his last day and had written on his MySpace page several "final thoughts" that included rants on illiteracy and the failure of U.S. currency to be backed by gold.
    Does it say anything about Sarah Palin or health care or the Tea Party? I sure don't see anything. Anything to take a shot at Sarah Palin though!

It's a shame that this lunatic committed this horrible crime, and yes it was probably politically motivated. But do you guys really have to use the deaths of innocent people to slight and insult the woman without even knowing that the suspect had anything to do with her? Have some respect (maybe that's too much to ask).

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    It's a shame that this lunatic committed this horrible crime, and yes it was probably politically motivated. But do you guys really have to use the deaths of innocent people to slight and insult the woman without even knowing that the suspect had anything to do with her? Have some respect (maybe that's too much to ask).

Yeah, I believe they said he might be a schizophrenic. But you pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Things like some of the above posts are why I usually avoid any topics related to politics on message boards. People often just aren't mature enough to know when something is just plain out of context and inappropriate. We might say stupid things from time to time, but you just don't the deaths of people to create a political blame game. That's what we call exploitation. Some people on this site really need to learn a little something called tact, or else people will continue to not take this place seriously. And the people I'm talking to know who they are.

I'm just glad that she's alive, and I hope that if others were involved in the shooting, they catch them too.

Last edited:
    Years
    As horrible as it sounds...

Yes, this is tragic, but it's not, you know... something that should cause intense shame of one's country.

This is, by no means, uniquely American. Or even Western.

Killing innocent people over politics of all things is shameful and revolting, regardless of any other particulars.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    Yeah because this is CLEARLY Sarah Palin's fault.

Does it say anything about Sarah Palin or health care or the Tea Party? I sure don't see anything. Anything to take a shot at Sarah Palin though!

Sarah Palin is on the frontier of violent political rhetoric: "Don't retreat, reload." And the bullseye map she printed up and put online. Her target audience happens to be a group of lesser educated, mostly ignorant, gun wielding fools that submit themselves to the cyclonic spin machine that is Faux News.

Regardless of whose at fault for the murders (6 of them in fact) and assassination attempt, this should be action enough for her keep her fat lips together whenever she wants to urge her group to "Take fire on opposing politicians". It's irresponsible and reprehensible in the best of conditions. It just so happens that this event is putting her violent rhetoric into the light of the public eye in a real way and it's just one more nail in the coffin that is her political career. If she plays her cards right they might let her come onto Dancing With The Stars in ten years. They let that buffoon Tucker Carlson on there.

And to answer your question: No, we really don't need to use a political assassination as our route for bagging on Sarah Palin. Any time she opens her mouth, puts a pen to paper, or shows off that slightly daft look on television we have all the reason in the world.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    Wow, someone doesn't like Sarah Palin. She's not #1 on my list either but jeez, personal insults?

Anyway, since I'm a lesser educated, mostly ignorant, gun wielding fool, I'm gonna go turn on some Faux News. Oh wait, I go to college, respect other people's views, and don't own a gun...Imagine that! Do you see me running around insulting CNN, MSNBC and the other leftists media outlets?

You're still ignoring the fact that the shooter had nothing to do with Sarah Palin. But if you want to spin it that way, I guess I can't stop you.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    Wow, someone doesn't like Sarah Palin. She's not #1 on my list either but jeez, personal insults?

Anyway, since I'm a lesser educated, mostly ignorant, gun wielding fool, I'm gonna go turn on some Faux News. Oh wait, I go to college, respect other people's views, and don't own a gun...Imagine that! Do you see me running around insulting CNN, MSNBC and the other leftists media outlets?

You're still ignoring the fact that the shooter had nothing to do with Sarah Palin. But if you want to spin it that way, I guess I can't stop you.

I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong point. First off you took out the "Most of her followers" to make the quote fit the message you wanted to send. So right off the bat you're embodying the Faux News way. Second off I said "If it turns out" which in no way is a definitive allegation. So in two instances (i.e the majority of your post) you failed to quote me properly and responded to statements that I didn't make.

Seriously, this is sad. You don't even realize it do you? You don't realize that you're ponying the same tired old tricks of Fox News.

Last edited:
    Back