• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Armaina's Pixel Thread

Armaina

Pokémon Breeder
Years
  • Allo allo all. Well I for one am a huge fan of pixel art and have been using it a lot as of late. Pokémon, among a few other games has really gotten me interested in the art and I've learned a lot from sprite edits, to finally what I can freehand create today.

So I'll start off the thread with some edits/mods/slices, these are older, probably about 4 years old.

Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread

These are edited pokémon I made to look like creatures that belonged to some friends of mine.

Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread

More of the same, this time with trainer sprites

Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread

haha the only real splices I ever did... it's Suicuno! The Icy Gryphon Pokémon!

Okay, now to the hand-drawn stuff.

Armaina's Pixel Thread

This was a banner I did for the last round of the 'Official Pokémon Sprite Contest' held a the now gone Nintendo Forums.

Armaina's Pixel Thread

This was a commissioned set of some Luxios for icons and for a website and such. I'm actually rather pleased with the set, as well as the variety of poses I managed to pull off.

Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread

Another commission, yes, I know the size ratio between the Dialga and Jolteon is not correct, but the commissioner kinda wanted that.. that and it fit in the icon better haha. And then a Volkner icon with some of his 'mon. The last image was actually used in one of the contests previously mentioned.

And now for some of my favorite non-pokemon sprites.

Armaina's Pixel Thread

Some pixels for a project I'm working on.. a sort of growth set hehe.

Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread

These are all various commissions.

ryushin5

In College YAY! :3
    Years
  • Wow these are amazing I love them I especially love the magnemite and smeargle painting sprites those are awesome hope to see more in the future. :D

Gunners

wants Arsenal to pwm everyone!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    Wow nice sprites im hopeless at sprites. The only thing ive made is a failed smily.

Armaina

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • You are good with your pixels. And they are nice.A growth set? Your working for dragoncave arent you!
    No, not dragoncave. I tried helping them out and most of them were demanding and had a habit of editing in progress sprites without asking permission. I really didn't like the attitude there so I didn't bother doing any more work. (a friend of mine made the silvers and alt blacks for it though)

No actually I'm working on my own adoption things, more than just dragons, all sorts of my own made up critters. ^^

Wow you really have a hand for this^^
    Keep the good work on..
    aww, thanks much! and will do!

Wow nice sprites im hopeless at sprites. The only thing ive made is a failed smily.
    All it takes a is a little time to get used to working with them and knowing how to work with color.

Wow these are amazing I love them I especially love the magnemite and smeargle painting sprites those are awesome hope to see more in the future. :D
    Yeah I was pretty happy with that decision, since I knew smeargle was the art pokemon I was trying to think of something else that would work... then I thought of magnimite and I just went with it!

Will be more soon, have some commissions I need to work on, whee!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Wow! that was the best sprites i've ever seen. I especially like the "smeargle and magnemite painting" picture.
    Awsome job!

(I'm sorry that my comment where alot like ryushin's)

Armaina

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • Your one of the best Pixel-Artist's i have ever seen.
    A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Keep up the good work.
    Aww wow thanks. Dunno bout the best though ~_^ there are many more that are better than I am

Wow! that was the best sprites i've ever seen. I especially like the "smeargle and magnemite painting" picture.
    Awsome job!

(I'm sorry that my comment where alot like ryushin's)
    hehe don't worry about it, and thanks.

Wow you are really good! I've never seen some so good before!

GREAT JOB! your work is outstanding....
    Thank you both ^-^

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
    Years
  • "Galloping gay guys Batman, she's good!"

That Suicuno Crystal sprite is the coolest splice that I have ever seen in my life. You, madame, are absolutely brilliant.

Also, the growth cycle for the dragon thingies is splendid. You could do a lot with those. And all of the other animal sprites.

The Dialga/Jolteon thing is also really friggin' cool.

Did you create your avatar?

Armaina

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • Been a while so thought I'd do an update.

Oh geeze, first real animation D:
    Armaina's Pixel Thread

I recently made this pixel base that I've been making tons of things out of, decided to do the eevee line.

Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread

Hmm should I be putting updates in the the first thread itself or not?
    "Galloping gay guys Batman, she's good!"

That Suicuno Crystal sprite is the coolest splice that I have ever seen in my life. You, madame, are absolutely brilliant.

Also, the growth cycle for the dragon thingies is splendid. You could do a lot with those. And all of the other animal sprites.

The Dialga/Jolteon thing is also really friggin' cool.

Did you create your avatar?
    Thank you very much! Honestly, at the time I was surprised no one else made the birds and beasts into 'gryphons' as it were. Also the growth cycle is for a personal project I am working on (ever since I was online back in the late 90's I've wanted to make a petsite)

And yes, I drew my avatar, I actually did a few pokemon in this style, I should post that (and finish the rest)

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
    Years
  • Been a while so thought I'd do an update.

Oh geeze, first real animation D:
    Armaina's Pixel Thread

I recently made this pixel base that I've been making tons of things out of, decided to do the eevee line.

Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread
    Armaina's Pixel Thread

Hmm should I be putting updates in the the first thread itself or not?

Thank you very much! Honestly, at the time I was surprised no one else made the birds and beasts into 'gryphons' as it were. Also the growth cycle is for a personal project I am working on (ever since I was online back in the late 90's I've wanted to make a petsite)

And yes, I drew my avatar, I actually did a few pokemon in this style, I should post that (and finish the rest)

We are all humbled by your skills.

A petsite? Sweetness. I used to be an avid member of one called ResCreatu, but... Well, things happened, and that ended, like a couple years ago. If that's the art you'll be using, I'd really like to see what else you're gonna do. If you ever make it, you better tell me.

And I thought that the only good thing that ever came out of Arizona was 89 cent giant cans of tea.

EDIT: Oh, and if I may ask, what would it cost me to commision something?

Armaina

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • We are all humbled by your skills.

A petsite? Sweetness. I used to be an avid member of one called ResCreatu, but... Well, things happened, and that ended, like a couple years ago. If that's the art you'll be using, I'd really like to see what else you're gonna do. If you ever make it, you better tell me.

And I thought that the only good thing that ever came out of Arizona was 89 cent giant cans of tea.

EDIT: Oh, and if I may ask, what would it cost me to commision something?
    haha Arizona is awesome :D But yeah I've wanted to a do a petsite forever, and plan on doing all sorts of species and not just dragons (bugs even) but yeah I'll probably have a link or something in my signature when that's done, there's just a lot of coding to do, and art.

As far as commissions go, well it's 15$ for a 100x100 pixel icon, and 5$ for those sitting things, like the eevees. You can see all the ones I've done so far on my LJ, armaina.livejournal.com, I just recently started them. For non-pixel stuff, well it kinda varies, the full list is here.

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
    Years
  • Alright. I'll check out your live journal.

I may very well commission something. You're good enough that I wouldn't feel bad about spending five bucks.

Armaina

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • Can ei use ze Vaporeon für mai Avatar?

Those are really good, keep it up¨!
    Sure, I don't mind, just as long as I'm credited for it.

For that matter, other are welcome to use the eevees as avatars as long as they give me credit for the art and don't try to claim it as their own. I'd also rather that they not be modded either.

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
    Years
  • Wow, you're the first member I've recognized here on this forum.. I remember you back then on the old N with that grainy spriting style signature of yours, and the OPSC related stuff there.

C+C

Your style seems to be based on extreme and humongous amounts of dithering, excessive graning, and layered shading, among with light colours and dark lines through these.

While this type of graininess can look cool and all that (Big Luxio), most times it leads for the worse (unicorn, growth dragons(not so bad tho)), because when mixed with layered shading, the styles sorta clash with themselves, and some areas of the sprite appear differently textured than others. Not to mention that constant dithering looks boring and repetitive when one has more than 5 colours, and becomes pretty unessesary at this point. It leads me to believe you have a blurry comp screen or something, which would justify the blending style.

Another thing about the shading. I notice you use alot of colours for your PA's and layer shade alot.. This could be fixed with 50% less colours and significant contrast between them, and AAing the borders. And when having a sprite consisting of light colours(LUGIA, unicorn), one should avoid drawing dark lines inside it, the reason being that they stand out much, and take depth away from them. Darker shadows should work better too.

Also, one can easily detect slight to horrible traces of jaggedness on outlines and curves, on almost every sprite above(mostly Eevees), most of the time on the shading layers. A quick work on smoothing the lines and AA them should do the trick.

On the animation, less dithering and more movement might do it well. For the flier's tail and legs, some waving might do, as well as some dangling movement for the green creature it's carrying.

The designs on the other hand are superb. Perfect anatomy and shapes on most to all sprites, and the ideas behind them.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Man, Smash took most of what I was gonna say, but I'd like to add that while, for the most part, your anatomy is superb, some of them look a bit wonky.

Armaina's Pixel Thread

^ On the largest one, it seems to be squashed horizonatally, particularly the head. On the one on the top right, the face needs more depth, and there's something else about it I can't put my finger on.

Armaina's Pixel Thread

^ This one lacks the depth that a lot of your other pieces had, particularly with the wings. Compared to the others, there are more anatomical issues, like the proportions and the foot closest to us that seems a bit misshapen.

With your Eeveelutions, you seem to have suddenly lost the mastery you had with the anatomy on your growth set and the various commissions at the bottom of your first post. The back legs and the heads, as well as the shading aren't up to par with a lot of your other work.

--------

Overall, excellent work. It always puts a smile on my face when I see people post real pixel art and not just sprites. Keep it up! :3

Back