• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Arrange the 22 Starters (Sun & Moon Starters included) in order of most favourite to least favourite!

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
  • If you had to give rankings from 1-22, for all the Starters in the Main Game Series so far (Sun & Moon also included to the list now :)), how would you rank them?

Sun & Moon Starters are now out, so its time to add them to the list, so these are my New Rankings.

NOTE: Posts 1 to 103 were made before the release of Sun & Moon Starters. If you made one of those posts, feel free to add a new post, including Sun & Moon Starters - Rowlet, Litten & Popplio, in the Rankings :)

Here's my original post:-
    Spoiler:

Pika Pika :chu:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    I can't really order them from favourite to least-favourite, but here is something I posted a little while ago on a different thread, giving my opinions of all the starters...

Bulbasaur; Great design to start with but it's evolutions are very same-y it's appearance doesn't change much. It just gets bigger.
    Squirtle; Great design to start, Adequately changes between evolutions, final evolution just feels to big and tank-y (as with all water final evolutions)
    Charmander; Okay design to start, second evolution is forgettable, final evolution makes up for it.

Chikorita; As with bulbasaur it's evolutions all look very similar, just bigger.
    Totodile; Final evolution is it's best evolution, but as with all water starters (you know, water type, the types that are supposed to move agilely through the water) it's way to bulky. I'd like to see that thing try to swim.
    Quilava; Nice design to start, but all evolutions look pretty much identical but larger.

Treeko; Amazing start, Okay second, Forgettable final... What's with the weird tree sticking out where it's tail should be ._.
    Mudkip; Great meme first, why's it on 2 legs second, giant tank third.
    Torchic; Okay start, disturbing second, Amazing final.

Turtwig; The bulbasaur wannabe.
    Piplup; Okay start, forgettable second, What's that even supposed to be final.
    Chimchar, the most forgettable starter to-date, final form is great but underrated.

Snivvy; Absolutely love the real world references with this one, final form looks like a green banana.
    Oshawott; Forgettable. Final form narwhal wannabe.
    Tepig; Forgettable. All evolutions look the same.

I refuse to believe that the other starters are real starters.

I hope from that you can sort of see my favourites :)

Years
  • While I'm not going to write out detailed reasons for each, I'll just add comments about my general observations.

1. Treecko
    2. Squirtle
    3. Oshawott
    4. Piplup
    5. Chespin
    6. Snivy
    7. Charmander
    8. Froakie
    9. Pikachu
    10. Bulbasaur
    11. Totodile
    12. Mudkip
    13. Cyndaquil
    14. Chikorita
    15. Fennekin
    16. Torchic
    17. Tepig
    18. Chimchar
    19. Turtwig
    The first significant thing that I noticed was that 5 of the 6 Fire type starters were in my bottom 8, and the only reason Charmander was as high as it is would probably be thanks to nostalgia. I also didn't realize how low I had ranked the Johto starters- I've got no problem with them, but they just aren't all that interesting to me. The last thing to note is that if we were going by final evolutions, I probably would've put Empoleon at the top, rather than Piplup who's sitting in 4th.

Years
  • This is my order based on personal opinion, and if you notice a lot of Water-types high in the list then you'll notice where my type love leans to.

1. Oshawott
    2. Froakie
    3. Chimchar
    4. Fennekin
    5. Mudkip
    6. Tepig
    7. Snivy
    8. Cyndaquil
    9. Squirtle
    10. Piplup
    11. Totodile
    12. Bulbasaur
    13. Pikachu
    14. Chespin
    15. Torchic
    16. Treecko
    17. Chikorita
    18. Turtwig
    19. Charmander

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • 1. Turtwig
    2. Totodile
    3. Tepig
    4. Chimchar
    5. Snivy
    6. Chespin
    7. Froakie
    8. Treecko
    9. Pikachu
    10. Oshawott
    11. Bulbasaur
    12. Fennekin
    13. Squirtle
    14. Charmander
    15. Cyndaquil
    16. Torchic
    17. Chikorita
    18. Piplup (Dawn's Piplup is literally Satan in the dub)
    19. Mudkip

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • 1.Piplup
    2.Chikorita
    3. Fennekin
    4. Oshawott
    5. Torchic
    6. Bulbasaur
    7.Cyndaquil
    8.Chespin
    9. Totodile
    10. Turtwig
    11. Squirtle
    12. Tepig
    13. Treecko
    14. Mudkip
    15. Charmander
    16. Froakie
    17. Chimchar
    18. Snivy
    19. Pikachu (I'm sorry, but I absolutely hated Yellow version)

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Be reminded thay this is just my opinion. I will arrange them from least favourite to favourite.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2015
    1. Bulbasaur
    2. Turtwig
    3. Cyndaquil
    4. Squirtle
    5. Mudkip
    6. Pikachu
    7. Chimchar
    8. Oshawott
    9. Treecko
    10. Charmander
    11. Chikorita
    12. Tepig
    13. Totodile
    14. Fennekin
    15. Chespin
    16. Froakie
    17. Torchic
    18. Piplup
    19.Snivy

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I'm not entirely sure, but this is an approximate order. There are a few I might move around a bit depending on my mood (but only within one or two spots).

1. Squirtle
    2. Pikachu
    3. Totodile
    4. Charmander
    5. Cyndaquil
    6. Bulbasaur
    7. Mudkip
    8. Piplup
    9. Oshawott
    10. Turtwig
    11. Treecko
    12. Froakie
    13. Chimchar
    14. Chikorita
    15. Torchic
    16. Chespin
    17. Tepig
    18. Snivy
    19. Fennekin

Lexatom

Blockbuster Advocate
    Years
  • From least favorite to most favorite, here they are:

19 - Pikachu
    18 - Chikorita
    17 - Froakie
    16 - Treecko
    15 - Squirtle
    14 - Fennekin
    13 - Tepig
    12 - Bulbasaur
    11 - Piplup
    10 - Turtwig
    9 - Chimchar
    8 - Oshawott
    7 - Snivy
    6 - Totodile
    5 - Torchic
    4 - Chespin
    3 - Charmander
    2 - Mudkip
    1 - Cyndaquil

Nuclearkiller42

A pig in a cage on antibiotics
    Years
  • I think it should be:

1. Bulbasaur
    2. Fennekin
    3. Squirtle
    4. Froakie
    5. Torchic
    6/7. (Tied) Piplup/Cyndaquil
    8. Treecko
    9. Mudkip
    10. Totodile
    11. Charmander
    12. Turtwig
    13. Chimchar
    14. Oshawott
    15. Chespin
    16. Chikorita
    17. Snivy
    18. Tepig

I chose to ignore Pikachu.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Most Favorite
    1. Cyndaquil
    2. Chimchar
    3. Froakie
    4. Torchic
    5. Treecko
    6. Charmander
    7. Totodile
    8. Snivy
    9. Piplup
    10. Oshawott
    11. Chespin
    12. Mudkip
    13. Squirtle
    14. Bulbasaur
    15. Tepig
    16. Fennekin
    17. Turtwig
    18. Chikorita
    19. Pikachu
    Least Favorite*

*Least Favorite is still favorite. I don't hate >12, I just don't prefer them.

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    1. Chespin
    2. Bulbasaur
    3. Oshawott
    4. Chikorita
    5. Totodile
    6. Cyndaquil
    7. Treecko
    8. Squirtle
    9. Turtwig
    10. Froakie
    11. Fennekin
    12. Charmander
    13. Mudkip
    14. Snivy
    15. Torchic
    16. Piplup
    17. Chimchar
    18. Tepig

Although Pikachu is the starter in Yellow, I don't think of him as a "starter". If I did, he would be at 19.

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    For me, based on the starter alone and not its evolutions, my favorites in order are:
    1. Snivy
    2. Fennekin
    3. Cyndaquil
    4. Totodile
    5. Pikachu
    6. Squirtle
    7. Treeko
    8. Chikorita
    9. Mudkip
    10. Froakie
    11. Turtwig
    12. Charmander
    13. Bulbasaur
    14. Chespin
    15. Chimchar
    16. Piplup
    17. Tepig
    18. Torchic
    19. Oshawatt

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • 1. Charmander
    2. Totodile
    3. Cyndaquil
    4. Treecko
    5. Fennekin
    6. Chimchar
    7. Tortwig
    8. Torchic
    9. Mudkip
    10. Froakie
    11. Oshawott
    12. Piplup
    13. Bulbasaur
    14. Chespin
    15. Snivy
    16. Chikorita
    17. Pikachu
    18. Squirtle
    19. Tepig

Chlorophyll types are garbage.

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
  • Seems that Snivy is either loved or hated.

1. Snivy
    2. Fennekin
    3. Chikorita
    4. Pikachu
    5. Oshawott
    6. Treecko
    7. Squirtle
    8. Chespin
    9. Froakie
    10. Cyndaquil
    11. Charmander
    12. Torchic
    13. Mudkip
    14. Piplup
    15. Tepig
    16. Turtwig
    17-19. Chimchar, Bulbasaur, Totodile

This was pretty hard after the first five or so. Looking at the list, I like the bipedal, lean/agile, and cuter/more feminine starters the best. (My top 8 are bipedal.) And the fire-types have pretty bland designs generally.

I decided to do the middle and final forms as well.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    1. Totodile- My first starter ever on Pokemon Silver and then Crystal. Since I love the Godzilla films, he was my natural pick. I got him straight to the final gym and the battery on the Gameboy gave out. My moveset for him was Surf, Leer [because it reminded me of the breath or the laser eyes from the cartoon.] Hydro Pump and Strength. I even chose him for Soul Silver. Water Pokemon have been my favorite and it frustrated me how he was forgotten in the anime and never evolved.

2. Bulbasaur- Ivy Whip and Solarbeam?
    3. Cyndaquil- also my first starter because I exploited the PC glitch second time around. I loved this one because of its final evolution's name in both Japanese and English. And it just seemed so extreme.
    4. Torchic- I was fascinated and satisfied with its entire line. I've used this in X/Y the most as a replacement for Greninja.
    5. Mudkip- The blue and orange in its evolutions made me snatch this one up.
    6. Squirtle- The anime and using it in the remake made it nice .
    7. Chikorita - same with 3. Since it was a dinosaur,I liked it.
    8. Oshawott- It's final evolution makes it worth it.
    9. Snivy- It's a snake.
    10. Piplup- The Water/Steel line is only hampered by a weak base level design.
    11. Treecko- The Grass Charmander. The only thing that saves it is that it's a dinosaur.
    12. Turtwig- A better version of Chikorita, but it wasn't the Chikorita of its generation.

13. Froakie- The final evolution although its virtually useless is nice.
    14. Tepig- Nothing excites me about this.
    15. Charmander- The second most overrated starter ever. I liked it in the anime, but this is not this franchise's Greymon. Several Pokemon better than it have shown up and its basically lame.
    16. Fennekin- huge disappointment of designs. It tried to be like Renamon and Vulpix combined, but it sucked.
    17. Chimchar- Nothing about this pleases me, especially after coming after Torchic. The Chikorita of its generation.
    18. Chespin- Everything sucks about this.
    19. Pikachu- Overrated Pokemon in general. I liked it back when I was a kid, but its annoying. Plus in its own game, you need to find other Pokemon to endure the Rock types. The fact it needs to evolve by Stone , but can't anyways? It's worthy of the Box. Once you get all the other starters, why keep that deadweight in your party?

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • "GRRRR">:( to all Pikachu haters!

hey just kiddin :P

In defense of Pikachu (have to defend him, after all he's my fav :)), well he IS a starter in an Official Pokemon game (I loved Pokemon Yellow btw, coz it was the first game I ever played), so he should be considered a Starter.

As for Pikachu being overrated, I think he's actually underrated, at least as a battler & deserves a place in an active 6-party team.

I think its just that people are just too lazy to train him. Ya agreed he has low defenses, but he can get through with his speed. All you have to do is train him about 10-15 levels more than your other Pokemon & give him a Light Stone, he'll be just fine. If he takes a hit, just switch him out, train your other Pokemon to be strong enough.

I've always had Pikachu in the lead in my party, in every game I can get him & have used him to sweep through a majority of the Elite Fours.

So east or west yo, Pikachu is the best :)

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    ^As a starter though, Pikachu kind of sucks because he isn't as powerful as in the first season of the anime. Once I catch one and get a stone , I evolve it immediately. I'd try to use him , but I am HIGHLY biased towards Elekid. Too bad it doesn't have much of a use in battle at level 60, though that must go down in strategy. In the hack I'm playing, I'm thinking of evolving it right into Electivire because the final form is okay.

Not to say I wouldn't use Pikachu as a starter, but it takes more strategy than I'm accustomed to.

Back