• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Art Comparison-Elm and Silver!

Years
    Like everyone else is saying, Silver looks older, more badass (a very common word here xD),
    and... curvaceous? xD Well, subtle changes in Elm's appearance make the character much better overall. No idea what they were thinking with that yellow stripe...
    Well, I also hope they keep those old badass boots that Silver had before. Not sure if they'd really fit in the new design, but I don't care!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You're probably thinking of Lucian.

As for the resemblance between Silver's and Mars's hair, it's probably inconsequential. Pokémon designers like to copy that kind of thing, like with Saturn and Purugly. It makes you feel like the whole Pokémon world is one...

Lol. Only difference is personality, I guess. I freakin' love Maylene. I won't be a man if I don't admit right now that she's hot. Whitney's just a whiney little b****. Lol, whiney with a 't' xD I bet that's on purpose!

"Hi! I'm Whitney! Everyone was into Pokémon, so I got into it too! Pokémon are super-cute! You want to battle? I'm warning you--I'm good!"
    "Sob... ...Waaaaaaah! You're mean! You shouldn't be so serious! You...you child, you! Waaaaah! Waaaaah! Snivel, hic...You meanie!"
    "...Sniff... What? What do you want? A badge? Oh, right. I forgot. Here's Plain Badge."-Quote Whitney.

If you can't take losing, don't battle in the first place! Ugh, some people....

LOL This post made me laugh. That was a good observation you made with her name. It makes sense, too. When she didn't give me my badge, I was like wtf? give me my badge. lol

As for Silver's new look, I'm not going to let what anyone says about his hair bother me. I think he looks more like a bad boy than he did last time. He looks irritated now. I really wish I could see a good picture of his sprite, because I love the artwork. He's still my favorite Rival. ^_^

Professor Elm is my favorite Professor in the games. I'm happy they removed the stripe on his shirt. His new artwork looks much better.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    And I actually like the new Silver art. He looks more pretty-boy-ish in that stance, tougher, more sinister and more suspicious, and less like Paul from the anime.
    Yep, that's what I've been trying to say. Pretty boy. He doesn't steal because he's needy or avaricious, he's just a badboy. All it is.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Art Comparison-Elm and Silver!

Ayup.
    Mind crediting Gin/heerosferret (link leads to LJ post where she originally posted it) as the creator of this picture? It's been stolen from her before, but credit was quickly given, and I don't want to see that happen again to her.

Also, at least Sugimori's new art style doesn't make the characters all look short. Someone else pointed out that the older pictures of the human characters made them all look short and stumpy, especially the kids. I prefer that change.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    Whoa, holy caca! How the flingadinger did I never notice that?!

LOL This post made me laugh. That was a good observation you made with her name. It makes sense, too. When she didn't give me my badge, I was like wtf? give me my badge. lol
    Oh my gosh I just noticed something. Whitney is just like Claire! Same thing, too. She's all like, "I can't face the fact that I lost to you with my Dragon Pokémon because I spent my whole life hacking this Dragonair to perfection, so I'm not going to give you a badge and instead I'll just go and cry in a cave that you're not allowed into." Jeez, I hope they don't do this in HG/SS again, with all the gym leaders being so whiney. (Notice I didn't mention cranky or cocky. Pryce and Chuck are just classic.)

Spoiler:

Last edited:

rnstyip

"Next please!"
    Years
    Silver looked strange in the GSC, I love the whole redo of him. It looks a lot better.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    Silver looks more his young age which is a good thing, Elm looks like a very young professor whom still has a lot to learn, but also knows a lot. I really like the new look and I cannot wait to see it in the game itself! :)

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Silver looked strange in the GSC, I love the whole redo of him. It looks a lot better.

Same here, the old Sugimori art of Prof. Elm and Silver doesn't seem to be as half as decent as the new art we have now for the remakes. They were, as stated before stumpy and short. However, they had a nice appearance, but these are just simply in a better format. The art is more detailed, and yes it makes the characters look taller and more of a younger age. I think it was well done and perfectly suited compared to the originals.

Silver looks more his young age which is a good thing, Elm looks like a very young professor whom still has a lot to learn, but also knows a lot. I really like the new look and I cannot wait to see it in the game itself! :)

It is definitely good to know that they gave Elm his clumsy look rather than his more proffesional design. I think the picture gives him more of a personality and something to look at, rather than a standing figure. Not to mention, even though he looks younger and clumsy, he still has the little scruff on his chin, which is a great classic.

As for Silver, and even the new female and Gold, I'm glad they look younger and more immature as presented. The reason why is because they are all starting a journey with their first Pokémon and I would doubt one would know a large extent to everything. So, the younger and more detailed look is defintily a large plus. I still love the newly deisgned jacket for Silver as it is what makes him look really finished off right now.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 15, 2009
    I like the new look. It makes them go good with the new gold character and the new replacement female character. BLAHH but still, they look better and cooler than the old version, to me that is.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    So now we all know what happened. Mars and Giovanni were in a committed relationship, so they were going to have a child. But then, in the same week, Mars cheated on Giovanni with Roark, then got pregnant with Roark's kid. But she couln't tell Giovanni the truth, so she said it was his. But then she couldn't take the guilt and she left him. So everytime Giovanni sees that kid with the red Mars hair, he thinks, "my son..." and he spreads that around Team Rocket that he has a red-haired son, but can never face it that he'll never really be his father.

Years
    Whoa, holy caca! How the flingadinger did I never notice that?!

Oh my gosh I just noticed something. Whitney is just like Claire! Same thing, too. She's all like, "I can't face the fact that I lost to you with my Dragon Pokémon because I spent my whole life hacking this Dragonair to perfection, so I'm not going to give you a badge and instead I'll just go and cry in a cave that you're not allowed into." Jeez, I hope they don't do this in HG/SS again, with all the gym leaders being so whiney. (Notice I didn't mention cranky or cocky. Pryce and Chuck are just classic.)

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Professor Elm is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!! :) Out of all the Professors, he has the cutest sprite and artwork. He looks so sweet and innocent. (I wasn't exactly a fan of the old artwork, but I love the new artwork.) I love his new lab. I like the machine where you can get your starter. I like it better than having to get it off a desk or from a suitcase. This machine also reminds me of XD Gale of Darkness for some reason...

As for the rival, I love his artwork. He looks more masculine than his old self. I don't mind that his hair style is similar to Roark's/Mars' whatever. Anyway, his sprite looks nothing like the DP characters' hair. It looks practically the same as the old version, just drawn better. His hair is supposed to look Johto-like and it does. A lot of people (including those with red hair) have similar hair styles. You guys try thinking of over 300 different hair styles. Of course some are going to look similar. Anyway, maybe they thought of Silver's design first, but seeing as how two regions were being worked on along with all new areas, it looks like Silver was copying Roark. Even though Roark could have been copying Silver. I could care less either way because Silver's sprite looks nothing like Roark's except for maybe the hair, but the shade of red is different. The overworlds look completely different from one another. Silver is still my favorite rival. <3333

Zhampy

Gym/Elite~
    Years
    Elm look faaaaaabulous! Really lovin' the stubble he has going on and the scatter-brained antics and un-tucked shirt. All adds up to a funny professor. There was a reason he was always my favourite XD

Can't say i like Silver's new haircut much tho. And not just because it looks too similar to Mars/Roark's. It just kinda seems so random and not very long anymore. But at least he'll be difficult to mistake for a girl now XD Still, his OW sprite doesn't have the silly little quiff of hair (at least for now) and that's all that really matters.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    I think that Silver looks totally mean. Elm looks good(at least better than the last to me).

Finnel

Years
    Mind crediting Gin/heerosferret (link leads to LJ post where she originally posted it) as the creator of this picture? It's been stolen from her before, but credit was quickly given, and I don't want to see that happen again to her.
    Oh, really? I'm terribly sorry, that image was just linked to me from a friend's photobucket, so I just assumed she had made it.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    to all those who don't like the old Rival's look need to have their brain checked and be shot in the face with a triple barrel shotgun.

Grow up>>

just b/c a lot of us like the new look of Silver better than the old look doesn't mean anything, its just our own opinion, just get a grip>>

Besides, you really think they were gonna use the SAME look of Silver in the remakes? XD

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I figured he had a stubble on his chin. The scan we had of him which was pretty clean cut kind of proved it. Plus, a lot of other people had seen it instead of just one so it seemed more than possible. I think the stubble though was a really good touch. He still looks like a young and growing professor, but with the stubble it gives him more of a character. It shows that, like any working man, he is busy and rarely has enough time for himself at times. Not to mention the simple stubble of books just adds more influence to his character as portraying him more of the hard working and busy type, but clumsy as well. This image alone makes me favor him over Prof. Oak, Birch, and Rowan. He doesn't look serious as the others and he doesn't look as stern or much like he knows everything, which is great.

However, this close up image, can you see Silver's eyes? They look like they are beading into your skin and giving you the same glare shared by Shinji from the anime. I had stated the jacket before gave Silver the rough and dark look before, however the eyes add onto his bad guy appearance on his face. No matter what much think, to me Silver and Prof. Elm together we drawn very well and I don't think it could have gotten any better than what it is currently. It is sad that we won't see the exact same look in the games though, but more than likely if they release posters, they'll be included which would be great to collect.

Back