• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Art Goals?

Years
    • Age 26
    • Any
    • Space
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I know it's been like 26 days since the year started but this counts for a question for all time... Do you guys have any art-related goals for yourself?

This can be as simple as learning how to finally draw a circle to something ambitious like drawing one pokemon a day (1PAD) ha- We can also talk about our current progress with said goals too, let's keep us updated :)

I'll start- personally would love to work on my style consistency, as I'm literally known for having wildly different styles. 1PAD kinda helps with it as it forces me to use a monoline brush and keep on a relatively consistent canvas with minor changes as experimentation like lighting/bubbles (Remoraids), composition (Falinks), and even speed (I sob as I look at my most recent dailymon that I drew before I slept again haha)

Ironically though I'd love to improve on my style but.... that's a different message post <:)

Years
    • Age 34
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Drawing a circle is a very difficult thing! Don't think I'll ever get there, though. I'd just like to create something I don't end up hating. <_<

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • Drawing a circle is a very difficult thing! Don't think I'll ever get there, though. I'd just like to create something I don't end up hating. <_<

Just popping in to say that I like your drawing style, Megan, and you shouldn't feel so bad about it! <3

Since I'm here... I can't help but feel like I have to improve on the details of my drawings. Hands are troublesome but I'll need to make them work if I want to make something nice to look at. Drawing anything other than people would also be helpful, I'll admit... and perhaps getting a distinct style with character expressions and such, too.

I just don't draw often, and the convertible PC I was using to draw is now broken, so all that's really left for me is pencil and paper... but I have to say, visualizing things with a nice drawing is helpful in a lot of ways. Having that skill ready to be used is a nice bonus!

Years
    • Age 26
    • Any
    • Space
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Drawing a circle is a very difficult thing! Don't think I'll ever get there, though. I'd just like to create something I don't end up hating. <_<
    Curious, why do you hate your art? Is it because you know you can do better or do you compare it to art made by others? Going to have to agree with Elli though, your art looks good :)

Just popping in to say that I like your drawing style, Megan, and you shouldn't feel so bad about it! <3

Since I'm here... I can't help but feel like I have to improve on the details of my drawings. Hands are troublesome but I'll need to make them work if I want to make something nice to look at. Drawing anything other than people would also be helpful, I'll admit... and perhaps getting a distinct style with character expressions and such, too.

I just don't draw often, and the convertible PC I was using to draw is now broken, so all that's really left for me is pencil and paper... but I have to say, visualizing things with a nice drawing is helpful in a lot of ways. Having that skill ready to be used is a nice bonus!
    Just wanna say that its a rabbit hole to be absorbed in the details of artwork. If you zoom in on painted pieces, you can see its all just haphazard brush strokes of varying opacity. :) its generally better to look at your overall piece, which is why people like to have the actual canvas referenced on the corner of their workstation.

That said, I haven't actually seen much of your art so I think taking the step to draw would help you a lot <3 and agree, I'm a visual person so visualizing things helps me a lot haha

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • Age 25
    • he / him
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Hello gamers I don't really have an art-related goal beyond developing a more consistent (and better!) style but I'd also like to just… draw more often as opposed to infrequently

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • Age 34
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I kinda want to go for more finished pieces but things are a bit hectic right now and inking and rendering takes some time I don't necessarily have.

In a more structural way, I do think I should probably work more on anatomy, poses and composition I guess. I've been mostly drawing in a "eyeball copy" a reference kind of way and at least for things more complex like human beings I know the anatomy could help.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
    Years
  • I want to improve my own style and colouring c: And draw more frequent. I still struggle with a lot of things, like anatomy and clothing folds and stuff... I'd like to get better at those things while improving on the other aspects too. I've already improved a little bit at the recent thing that I'm making so I hope I can keep that up.

Years
  • I miss having the childlike passion to draw. I've never trained myself beyond basic instinct, and as a result I still draw like a child :p My goal is just... to get back to drawing. I might join the 1PAD challenge soon when I get back to my actual house and my pens and papers~

Years
    • Age 34
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Curious, why do you hate your art? Is it because you know you can do better or do you compare it to art made by others? Going to have to agree with Elli though, your art looks good :)
    It's a little bit complicated. When I look at what I create I also look back at twenty years of a slow grind. Comparing is definitely a thing, though. Seeing how it seems normal to make substantial progress within a year or two even for a fairly average artists while I have to wonder if it's going to be another twenty years of catching up...
    I think "catching up" is very much the term here. It's something that doesn't just involve my art, but basically everything else. I always seem to lag behind everyone else. Skill, social stuff, finding a place to belong, stuff like that. It comes with a sort of "self hate". So I guess since my art is just a reflection of myself I can see all the self hatred in there as well. In that regard "creating something that I don't end up hating" just means that I create something in which I can also feel content about myself as a person.
    I also have to admit that I'm somewhat of a perfectionist. xD

Years
    • Age 33
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I really got to get back to 1PAD, omg. That's definitely a goal of mine. I also want to actually, like, finish my work? And not just leave things undone because I get lazy.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Any
    • Space
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It's a little bit complicated. When I look at what I create I also look back at twenty years of a slow grind. Comparing is definitely a thing, though. Seeing how it seems normal to make substantial progress within a year or two even for a fairly average artists while I have to wonder if it's going to be another twenty years of catching up...
    I think "catching up" is very much the term here. It's something that doesn't just involve my art, but basically everything else. I always seem to lag behind everyone else. Skill, social stuff, finding a place to belong, stuff like that. It comes with a sort of "self hate". So I guess since my art is just a reflection of myself I can see all the self hatred in there as well. In that regard "creating something that I don't end up hating" just means that I create something in which I can also feel content about myself as a person.
    I also have to admit that I'm somewhat of a perfectionist. xD

That's completely fair! I can relate being a perfectionist haha, it took me a /long/ while on realizing nobody is going to ever notice those tiny details except for me.

Here's to hoping you improve upon yourself and your art! I believe in you :)

Retek

Banned
    Years
  • 1PAD is definitely an interesting challenge, I'd love to take part in it, it's just that I don't have the drive to do anything, even continuing the 2D drawing I started to learn.

My goal is to get better at drawing, also Blender. I would love to improve my 3D modelling and create my own style in both 3D modelling, as well as drawing.

Hope you all reach your art goals. Also thanks to the 1PAD thread that I get to see such hidden talent in PC and feel inspired. :)

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I just want to get more flexible in terms of art style, I'm tired of flat cartoony and I need to practice more things :)
    Also backgrounds

Years
  • Main things I'm trying to improve with my art right now are expressions and clothes/character designs. I'm awful at expressions and I feel like I just have five outfits I draw over and over lmao.

Yume Tsuki

(/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    Years
  • I got two goals for this year,

- Completing a whole chapter of my Nuzcomic before the year ends.

Last year I got pretty close to completing all the pages for chapter 2. And while I doubt with a 1 page a week schedule everyone gets to see all of it in a single year which a script of 65 pages for the upcoming chapter, it is feasible for me to get it at least done behind the scenes. If I can manage it, the comic's going back to a double-update weekly schedule until that chapter ends.

- Improving art-style.

I want to take more time with each page I make, hence why I will slow down my update schedule back to it's original pace once chapter 2 ends. Which I don't know how well I'll be able to keep quality up. Impatience often gets the better of me. And deadlines for update schedules on the horizon usually makes me throw quality straight out of the window. Telling the story has always been the number one priority to me in comic projects, and is something I've strongly developed with tight deadlines, and with that I've learned to let go of perfectionism. But since this project is more self-imposed deadlines I do want to try better on the graphical part.

Back